Formal Night returns to the Grand World Cruise!

The-Inside-Cabin

We just got this in an email from Gus about the upcoming World Cruise

Once a month - Formal Night!   

The Tuxedo Junction will be jumping!

"We’ve also modified our evening dress. While as usual most evenings will be casual, there will be a dressy night (jacket, suit or dress) once a week with a formal night (black tie, suit or dress) held once per month in lieu of dressy night and usually accompanied by a special dinner or event."

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

My first thought was "Great, I want to book this".

Then the questions began.

One formal night per 30 days....when we currently get two on a 7- or 8-night regular cruise?

Dressy only once a week?

Why not either formal or dressy on all sea days, and casual on port days?

How casual is casual?  Shorts and t-shirts?

I guess the fact that when we sailed HAL regularly, and 99% of men wore tuxedos or dark suits on formal night, and navy blazers or similar on all the other nights, I have expectations.  And it wasn't that long ago.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

My first thought was "Great, I want to book this".

Then the questions began.

One formal night per 30 days....when we currently get two on a 7- or 8-night regular cruise?

Dressy only once a week?

Why not either formal or dressy on all sea days, and casual on port days?

How casual is casual?  Shorts and t-shirts?

I guess the fact that when we sailed HAL regularly, and 99% of men wore tuxedos or dark suits on formal night, and navy blazers or similar on all the other nights, I have expectations.  And it wasn't that long ago.

People complain when they have to put on long pants on a 7 day cruise.  Hal has catered to this low standard by lessoning the dress code and it's still not enough!  I'm glad that hal is doing this for those that enjoy dressing up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

People complain when they have to put on long pants on a 7 day cruise.  Hal has catered to this low standard by lessoning the dress code and it's still not enough!  I'm glad that hal is doing this for those that enjoy dressing up.

I wasn’t aware that HAL didn’t allow those who wanted to dress up , to do so on dressy evenings.   Are you saying those who want to dress up , will only do so if HAL makes those cruisers who prefer to be more casual to dress up as well.   Who’s desires should take precedence?  The dresser uppers or the other paying guests. ?Huh?

9 minutes ago, retird said:

I

I wasn’t aware that HAL didn’t allow those who wanted to dress up , to do so on dressy evenings.   Are you saying those who want to dress up , will only do so if HAL makes those cruisers who prefer to be more casual to dress up as well.   Who’s desires should take precedence?  The dresser uppers or the other paying guests. ?Huh?

What?  I used to dress up and it takes some effort.  When the person next to you is wearing ripped jeans or yoga pants on a formal night as the used to be called it doesn't inspire me to dress up.  I don't think putting on a pair of long pants is asking the world, but I guess it is for some.  Yes, someone was complaining recently that her husband was miffed that he had to wear long pants because he only brought one pair.  They had multiple cruises on Hal so that hard to understand.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What?  I used to dress up and it takes some effort.  When the person next to you is wearing ripped jeans or yoga pants on a formal night as the used to be called it doesn't inspire me to dress up.  I don't think putting on a pair of long pants is asking the world, but I guess it is for some.  Yes, someone was complaining recently that her husband was miffed that he had to wear long pants because he only brought one pair.  They had multiple cruises on Hal so that hard to understand.

Hey I understand how you feel but i am surprised to see formal wear advocates  try to control how others dress.   Those who choose to dress casual are not forcing others to Not dress formal.  It is their choice and right to dress casual as outlined by the cruise line, just as it is your choice and right to be more dressy.   I wore a formal uniform and suits all my working career.   Now that I am retired, i want to relax and smell the roses. I dont expect others to attempt to control my vacations and i dont expect others to change how they spend their leisure time.   Kudos to all the men and women who like to and do dress up while on vacation.  But please allow me  to do what I want as well.  It is 2022 and we are well past the cruising days mandatory traditions of the 20th century.

I can only control my own actions, i cannot, nor do I want to ,control others

Edited by retird
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, retird said:

Hey I understand how you feel but i am surprised to see formal wear advocates  try to control how others dress.   Those who choose to dress casual are not forcing others to Not dress formal.  It is their choice and right to dress casual as outlined by the cruise line, just as it is your choice and right to be more dressy.   I wore a formal uniform and suits all my working career.   Now that I am retired, i want to relax and smell the roses. I dont expect others to attempt to control my vacations and i dont expect others to change how they spend their leisure time.   Kudos to all the men and women who like to and do dress up while on vacation.  But please allow me  to do what I want as well.  It is 2022 and we are well past the cruising days mandatory traditions of the 20th century.

Nobody but Holland America can tell you what to do on their sailings. If you want to relax and smell the roses, just do your thing. They'll let you know if your shorts are unacceptable in the MDR. Lol.

• Like 2

Is the cruise dress code going to be like a pendulum on many other issues--cruise related or not--that will swing from one extreme to another?  

Personally, I am pleased to learn of this "announcement".  How well will it be enforced?  

2 hours ago, retird said:

You dress whatever way you want as long as you don’t complain that you can’t wear shorts.  I tired of the I dressed up for work argument.  Clearly you like casual more, nothing wrong with that but own it.  I hope to retire in the next 5 years.  I will still be on the dressy side.  Where I work some people come in looking like they just finished their work out.  

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We just got this in an email from Gus about the upcoming World Cruise

Once a month - Formal Night!   

The Tuxedo Junction will be jumping!

"We’ve also modified our evening dress. While as usual most evenings will be casual, there will be a dressy night (jacket, suit or dress) once a week with a formal night (black tie, suit or dress) held once per month in lieu of dressy night and usually accompanied by a special dinner or event."

We definitely will need some Tuxedo Junction pictures!!

58 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is the cruise dress code going to be like a pendulum on many other issues--cruise related or not--that will swing from one extreme to another?  

Personally, I am pleased to learn of this "announcement".  How well will it be enforced?  

Probably in hal usual way, it won’t.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I think the formal night will be restricted to grand voyages only -

Enforcement?   Not so much

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You dress whatever way you want as long as you don’t complain that you can’t wear shorts.  I tired of the I dressed up for work argument.  Clearly you like casual more, nothing wrong with that but own it.  I hope to retire in the next 5 years.  I will still be on the dressy side.  Where I work some people come in looking like they just finished their work out.  

Or maybe just rolled out of bed. It's true.

• Like 1

Ah, the endless debate. I do remember HAL enforcing the required men's tie at dinner many years ago. My brother wore a bolo tie, and the Maitre'D said sorry, you need a "real tie". He had to go back to the cabin and get one before he could be seated for dinner in the MDR. Love 'em or hate 'em, those were the days...