Icons Itineraries

This is all quite amusing.   A very wise man once said...“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.   John Lydgate

Having said that, I am pleased with this new ship.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Cruise prices were higher back then, so you did pay for that "exceptional" meal.

True, but they also included the cost of airfare to and back from the port. One thing they didn’t have were a lot of balcony cabins (if any) and virtually no suites, so spending $2,000-$3,000/pp on a cabin with a porthole view was common. In today’s dollar, those would be equivalent to $5,000 - $6,000/pp for an OV cabin.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

True, but they also included the cost of airfare to and back from the port. One thing they didn’t have were a lot of balcony cabins (if any) and virtually no suites, so spending $2,000-$3,000/pp on a cabin with a porthole view was common. In today’s dollar, those would be equivalent to $5,000 - $6,000/pp for an OV cabin.

They didn't included airfare in any of my "back in the day" bookings.  But, they did include bus transportation to "local" ports.

It probably was regional/port dependent.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, Another_Critic said:

Cruise prices were higher back then, so you did pay for that "exceptional" meal.

Not really. I can remember as recently as five years ago paying under $500 for a balcony cabin on a 7 night cruise and being blown away by the food in the dining room.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have NEVER had a porthole, and I paid nothing like that. I also never booked a cruise that included airfare. Unless you actually cruised before the big mega ships, you really don't know what you are talking about.

4 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I have NEVER had a porthole, and I paid nothing like that. I also never booked a cruise that included airfare. Unless you actually cruised before the big mega ships, you really don't know what you are talking about.

You obviously didn't cruise "back in the day" ... 35+ years ago.  🙄

Edited by Another_Critic

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I know this was not directed at me, so this is just an example. I started cruising in 1991, so 31 years ago this December. All the cruises from Royal, CCL, NCL that I were looking at had airfare included with the cruise price. (It took me forever to decide between NCL Southward and Viking Serenade, as pricing was similar and ended up going to TA recommendation) You could subtract $100-$200 for cruise only.

I was 16 when I started cruising and had a good job. My parents were not interested, so I had to "convince" a friend at work who was 26 to go on a cruise with me and I offered to pay for her as well. I paid $583.00 total for two, for an inside upper/lower on NCL Southward out of L.A.  (Catalina/Ensenada) with air from Denver on Delta and transfers included. It was completely off season, and I didn't know what to expect, but I did use a Travel Agent for that cruise and the cruise after on the Norway in 1992. Norway was only $1200 and some change for an interior upper/lower for 7 nights Eastern, with air from Colorado Springs on TWA, and overnight in a hotel the night before and transfers.

I don't know... savings.org says $583 in 1991 is comparable to $1214.81 in 2022, and $1200 in 1992 is equal to about $2426.12 in 2022. I know it is only two very specific examples, but it didn't seem unreasonable at the time. 

On 10/20/2022 at 1:24 PM, birdie16 said:

I totally agree! I have a few questions for RCCL. Have they tested how fast they can evacuate 10,000 people in the event of an emergency? Have they stopped building smaller ships for people like us that actually want to see the ocean, rather than a ship full of kids at an amusement park? I personally do NOT want to be in port when all these people descend on a port stop.

I remember when the Ovation was first arriving in Honolulu. The news stations were cautioning the residents to allow more time to get to work because of the surge of people coming off the ship. Vancouver was concerned it couldn't get under the bridge. 

I see most of the people excited about this new ship are younger people. They are also the ones that don't care if the dining room has a dress code or tablecloths. They don't remember the days when you didn't have to pay to get an exceptional meal in the dining room. I guess I'm a fuddy duddy. I prefer a smaller ship that concentrates on the actual ocean.

Then stick with the smaller ships, pretty simple.  No need to complain about the new ship, you don't like it, then don't book it.

Also, no need to exagerate on the number of people getting on or off just to make a silly point that is invalid.

Edited by rhino7176

On 10/20/2022 at 9:09 PM, birdie16 said:

Actually, that is not true. We pay about double what we used to pay.

Do you not take into account the value of the dollar and inflation?  It's equal to pretty much what we paid 15-18 years ago given that.  lol

Edited by rhino7176

19 hours ago, Drill-n-Fill said:

If the posts here fall within your realm of whining then so be it.

I see the posts as legitimate reviews, critique, and comparisons of not only the smaller older ships but of ships of other brands.  

I did not see one post that disparaged or said the new Icon just sucks. None of us have even been on it!! We are making an educated decision and providing an honest feedback on what RCCL has already spoon-fed to us.

Many of us here have been cruising for a number of years and have been along for the ride with the evolution of cruising.  It's become a HUGE industry and is now considered a mainstream vacation choice when earlier it was a luxury option.  We know what ships are out there and have watched the documentaries of the Shipbreakers (quite sad to watch).  We are aware of what ships are out there.

All we (I) ask is that RCCL doesn't forsake those that wish smaller and more intimate cruising in exchange for greater profits.

To me, that's not whining....it's a valid concern.

To me, that's smart business.... cater to what makes the true money, unfortunatley that isn't catering the the crumudgeons.

The ship is a family resort cash cow. So will be more days at see for guests to spend time at sea. The size restricts where it can dock. 

Having been on both huge ships (oasis) and recently brilliance (small) ship for us as a family Oasis wins every time. Even my 70 year old mother found Oasis much better, more fun, more to do. Although the greek islands were stunning. 

But i think she looks great in the clas sf reaort ship.

If i want non resort ships then plenty of other cruise lines out there.

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

They didn't included airfare in any of my "back in the day" bookings.  But, they did include bus transportation to "local" ports.

It probably was regional/port dependent.

16 hours ago, birdie16 said:

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

First cruise was in 1976 NYC to Bermuda on the HAL Veendam. Flights from home to LGA and back were included. Booked an OV (the only balconies on board were Owners Suites. Had an actual porthole that opened. $4,200 for the two of us. Next cruise was 1981 HAL Neeu Amsterdam out of Tampa to Western Caribbean OV again, but this one had a window that didn’t open. Flights and transfers includes, and about the same price. Next was a 10-night Alaska out of San Francisco with the two kids on Sky Princess. OV for the four of us - two twin beds and two pullmans. Flights from NY and back included along with an overnight stay pre cruise in San Fran. Cost us $8,400. Still have all the receipts.

5 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

Do you not take into account the value of the dollar and inflation?  It's equal to pretty much what we paid 15-18 years ago given that.  lol

Actually, adjusted for inflation, we pay substantially less for a comparable cruise today than we did 15-20 years ago.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Agree. 1988 on the Brand new Sovereign of the Seas, first Mega Cruise Ship and didn't even have a single Balcony Cabin. $3600 for 2 of us on Deck 2 tiny Porthole Cabin, had 2 Couches that attendant turned into Beds each nite. Airfare included. At 23yrs old there was only 2 passengers younger then us