Icons Itineraries

Different boats for different folks right?  

I can see the appeal, especially for families.  But I think Royal also knows they have loyal following on some of the older, smaller ships with better itineraries.  I’m not a kid hater but no way I want to on board when schools aren’t in session.  We won’t be booking anywhere near the boardwalk.  

Pretty sure it will be a one or B2B and done thing for us.  Too many people, not intimate, and getting off and on could be a nightmare.  I do expect the entertainment to be fabulous!  TBD.  

1 hour ago, birdie16 said:

I totally agree! I have a few questions for RCCL. Have they tested how fast they can evacuate 10,000 people in the event of an emergency? Have they stopped building smaller ships for people like us that actually want to see the ocean, rather than a ship full of kids at an amusement park? I personally do NOT want to be in port when all these people descend on a port stop.

I remember when the Ovation was first arriving in Honolulu. The news stations were cautioning the residents to allow more time to get to work because of the surge of people coming off the ship. Vancouver was concerned it couldn't get under the bridge. 

I see most of the people excited about this new ship are younger people. They are also the ones that don't care if the dining room has a dress code or tablecloths. They don't remember the days when you didn't have to pay to get an exceptional meal in the dining room. I guess I'm a fuddy duddy. I prefer a smaller ship that concentrates on the actual ocean.

That have been carrying this passenger loads for a decade. I think they have the evacuation figured out. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

7 days Miami, nothing new.

Think it’s too big to have any “new” itineraries. 

I’m sure it will sail full but I’m not sure we will be on it. Not all “families” like the same things. When our three generation group was on Harmony in August, not one of the 8 of us touched a water slide. Youngest kids could care less about the shows. Spent time in kids pool area and hot tub. If the Solarium had any water, we may have spent some time there. 

For the expected high prices and even more people, we will probably stick with the other ladies. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, loman said:

I think i will book Icon once and then go back to Oasis class.

Im in no rush to pay premium dollars to be one of the first to sail on it.

Has the first TA been announced?  Will it be in the fall like other ones and cruise lines.  Asking because I have limited time off windows. 

2 minutes ago, kessdarln said:

Has the first TA been announced?  Will it be in the fall like other ones and cruise lines.  Asking because I have limited time off windows. 

Like some other recent new ships and timing, likely a non-revenue TA.

Edited by Biker19

This ship is an obvious attempt to compete with the likes of Disney, a company that is raising prices, has diminished product quality, and is having the most net income ever.

The Icon will provide a week's vacation at a fraction of the cost compared to Disney and provide a quality product.

This ship is a destination; there is no need to go to any ports, especially Labadee. The ship is 100% designed for families and kids. It's a party spot and if I were a kid I would love love love to be on this ship instead of a Disney vacation.  The "Family Townhouse" suite looks amazing. The water slides and pools.. lots of water features, is amazing as well.

But.. it's not for me. I still wish RCCL would build a ship like the old Sovereign of The Seas but with some modern touches.  There are MANY people that love kids but don't want to vacation around them!  Nothing against kids but there are many people that want a quiet and relaxing trip. The Icon doesn't look like it can deliver that.. and that's ok!!

The engineering and construction for this ship look absolutely incredible and I congratulate RCCL on this. I also hope those that develop future concepts remember that there are many cruisers that want RCCL to think of the old days of somewhat smaller ships.

Bon Voyage to all.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yet it will sail at 110% capacity for a minimum of 36 months straight 

Just sat through the reveal event on Harmony, and now certain we will not be adding to that percentage any time soon. Totally underwhelmed and felt  a bit marginalized as a frequent cruiser. Got the impression that they want us oldies out to pasture - we are definitely not their target audience for Icon.

it will be interesting to see how well it sells with a strong dollar, an economy going into the tank, and Europe on the brink of collapse. Good timing guys!

Edited by orville99

32 minutes ago, Drill-n-Fill said:

This ship is an obvious attempt to compete with the likes of Disney, a company that is raising prices, has diminished product quality, and is having the most net income ever.

The Icon will provide a week's vacation at a fraction of the cost compared to Disney and provide a quality product.

This ship is a destination; there is no need to go to any ports, especially Labadee. The ship is 100% designed for families and kids. It's a party spot and if I were a kid I would love love love to be on this ship instead of a Disney vacation.  The "Family Townhouse" suite looks amazing. The water slides and pools.. lots of water features, is amazing as well.

But.. it's not for me. I still wish RCCL would build a ship like the old Sovereign of The Seas but with some modern touches.  There are MANY people that love kids but don't want to vacation around them!  Nothing against kids but there are many people that want a quiet and relaxing trip. The Icon doesn't look like it can deliver that.. and that's ok!!

The engineering and construction for this ship look absolutely incredible and I congratulate RCCL on this. I also hope those that develop future concepts remember that there are many cruisers that want RCCL to think of the old days of somewhat smaller ships.

Bon Voyage to all.

I wonder if the Quantum Class was Royals attempt at a more stylish ship that wasn’t geared to kids and more towards the adult. You can see a bit of Celebrity influence on the Quantum class and besides the Seaplex and Adventure Ocean, there aren’t  many kids areas. The Radiance class to me was close to a updated Sovereign class with lots of ocean views and small enough to fit in to smaller ports. 

1 hour ago, tx121 said:

I wonder if the Quantum Class was Royals attempt at a more stylish ship that wasn’t geared to kids and more towards the adult. You can see a bit of Celebrity influence on the Quantum class and besides the Seaplex and Adventure Ocean, there aren’t  many kids areas. The Radiance class to me was close to a updated Sovereign class with lots of ocean views and small enough to fit in to smaller ports. 

Agree. And yet everyone complained about the Quantum Class when it debuted. Royal can't win.

I haven't read post in this thread.  So, if I'm repeating anything, ohhhhhhhh well!  

I/we never purchase a cruise on a brand new cruise ship as we believe the fare is always inflated because of the novelty of the new ship and "everyone" wants to be on her while there is still the new car smell.  So, we wait for at least a year after a new ship comes out OR we wait until another new ship comes out.  This is my/our mileage, yours may vary.  

• Like 3

I remember people complaining about the Voyager Class, the Quantum Class, and the Oasis Class. In fact people were saying that they'd never book enough people on any Oasis ship. Now it's the Icon's turn for the Naysayers. To me, It's one hell of a ship, and we can't wait to board her. By the way, I'm 80, and my wife is 71.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, tx121 said:

I dunno. The original Quantum reminded me of something a Disney ship would do. They had multiple rotating themed dining rooms instead of a "main" room, though from what I understand that didn't really work out for them. (Which is why later ships just ditched the idea.) Also from pictures/video I have seen, the "Esplanade" doesn't seem all that big compared to the promenade in other ships.

I mean, it has bumper cars.

Edited by PolicromaSol

Looks way too busy for me. 
If they’d just put a Coastal Kitchen on a Freedom Class ship, I’d be perfectly happy. It’s bad enough when they dump everyone off at port on Symphony. It’ll look like a Roman Gladiator battlefield in the movies when Icon dumps everyone out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, birdie16 said:

Actually, that is not true. We pay about double what we used to pay.

24 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I’m not going that far back.🤣

My post was comparing now to "back in the day".  30+ years ago when MDR food was special.

What dates are you comparing that they're now double?

IIRC, I paid $2500 for an ocean view cabin on Song of America.  An ocean view cabin today can be had for $1000-$1500.

Oh, and drinks were dirt cheap "back in the day".

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

There are soooooooooooooooo many posts I would like to quote, but there's a limit, so I'll just plunge right in.

Um, guys, they aren't sending the rest of the fleet to the bottom of the ocean or to the ship graveyard in Turkey.  You can still choose to cruise on another ship.  No need to fear the Icon of the Seas.  It won't bite you, particularly if you aren't on it.  No one will cry.  No one will mourn.  Just go about your business as you see it.

no whining sign 2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

If the posts here fall within your realm of whining then so be it.

I see the posts as legitimate reviews, critique, and comparisons of not only the smaller older ships but of ships of other brands.  

I did not see one post that disparaged or said the new Icon just sucks. None of us have even been on it!! We are making an educated decision and providing an honest feedback on what RCCL has already spoon-fed to us.

Many of us here have been cruising for a number of years and have been along for the ride with the evolution of cruising.  It's become a HUGE industry and is now considered a mainstream vacation choice when earlier it was a luxury option.  We know what ships are out there and have watched the documentaries of the Shipbreakers (quite sad to watch).  We are aware of what ships are out there.

All we (I) ask is that RCCL doesn't forsake those that wish smaller and more intimate cruising in exchange for greater profits.

To me, that's not whining....it's a valid concern.

• Like 3