Medallion Net - Serious Privacy Concerns

Meridian2uk

3 hours ago, Meridian2uk said:

Manage Shipmates gives you access to all surnames

So...do you only see this when you are on the ship?

I don't see anything titled like that off the ship. I do see "Travel Companions" and I am having a heck of a time adding our travel companions to it even though I have their booking number.....

3 hours ago, Meridian2uk said:

Manage Shipmates gives you access to all surnames

I know a lot of folks have concerns about things like SSN #, license #, address info, DNA, and fingerprints.   I wasn't aware of an issue with someone. knowing my last name.  

So, let's say someone knows my last name.  And they tie it to my pic.   I'm not a member of the witness protection program, so what am I supposed to worry about?    

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

So, let's say someone knows my last name.  And they tie it to my pic.   I'm not a member of the witness protection program, so what am I supposed to worry about?    

The "extended auto warranty" people will find you! They are everywhere and they never sleep.

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Indeed. My plumber knows my last name. He even knows where I live !

Can't say I am too worried. 

There are a lot of paranoid people out there, who worry about their security, but quite happily post on a public forum !

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

The "extended auto warranty" people will find you! They are everywhere and they never sleep.

Sadly, they don't need a cruise medallion to find me.   😀

I'm actually dreading the coming medicare open enrollment more than the extended warranty calls.  lol

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I know a lot of folks have concerns about things like SSN #, license #, address info, DNA, and fingerprints.   I wasn't aware of an issue with someone. knowing my last name.  

Criminals who know that you are on cruise might suspect that your home is empty and target it for a burglary??

I am not worried!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

Criminals who know that you are on cruise might suspect that your home is empty and target it for a burglary??

I am not worried!

It would mean one my fellow passengers is part of a crime network to identify empty houses.  

I'm not worried either!  

The medallion is the reason we do not go on Princess.  My DH has two cochlear implants.  If the magnet brushes along his head, they may interfere with this implants.  This can be during dinner in the MDR when people are passing by us with the medallion hanging around their neck.  The last time on Princess we opted for the regular room key.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarolRoy said:

The medallion is the reason we do not go on Princess.  My DH has two cochlear implants.  If the magnet brushes along his head, they may interfere with this implants.  This can be during dinner in the MDR when people are passing by us with the medallion hanging around their neck.  The last time on Princess we opted for the regular room key.

do not think you will be cruising for long.

recently off MSC & they had something very similar.

I think all cruiselines will have something like that soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am not worried!

So someone on the cruise is tied in to a widespread criminal ring such that when they see through medallion that you are on board the ship they can contact their criminals in your town to rob your house.  I expect that I am more likely to be struck by lightening, blown overboard and eaten by a Kraken than being robbed by someone seeing my last name on Medallion on board ship.

Edited by ldtr

Thank you for the info. I don't think we take our privacy online seriously enough. Yes, I make the conscious decision to create accounts on web sites, but I also never use my real name on them. And definitely not my photo. It's not being paranoid when our data is the product being sold, but there are things we can do to improve our privacy. Use a VPN when surfing, don't use google, use duck-duck-go or others. There are add-ons to browsers that can block things that track you. Those are all good. And fairly easy to do.

As for the medallion and my last name, first name being freely accessible to other passengers, I don't think that's a concern for me. Others might feel differently and they should have the ability to remove their names from a publicly searchable list. And I would encourage any single traveler to ask for the name displayed on their door to only be initials that way it's not clear the gender of the occupant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

and yet, everyone here is using the internet to post about it. Trust me, if I want to find out about you, most likely I will and it ain't the medallion net's fault. 

How many of us have passports, credit cards, driver's licenses, smart phones.......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meridian2uk said:

easy to find single lady travellers which I wasn’t comfortable with

What is it that you are afraid of? Some ne'er do well is going to stand around in your corridor, possibly for hours, waiting for you to open your door and then attack you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Meridian2uk said:

I know, I have never suggested they are linked??? 

If I put your cruise critic name in Google, it brings up lots of information, your name, your daughters name, where you live, where your daughter goes to University, your dog. Please don't criticise Princess, it took me 60 seconds to get this information and I'm no Internet stalker

• Like 3

1 minute ago, antsp said:

If I put your cruise critic name in Google, it brings up lots of information, your name, your daughters name, where you live, where your daughter goes to University, your dog. Please don't criticise Princess, it took me 60 seconds to get this information and I'm no Internet stalker

His dog?  🤣

40 minutes ago, antsp said:

First rule of thumb - Do not use the same identifier for multiple internet functions if you wish to remain anonymous.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 3:07 AM, fpsphil said:

You have to be seriously paranoid to worry about this. If you are really hiding from something stay at home and off the internet… seriously…

That's like saying, "You have to be seriously and willfully ignorant not to worry about this."

You have one level of comfort with your personal information; other people have different levels.  It's not about paranoia; it's about knowledge.  But you do you -- just try to do it without disparaging others who may have a different point of view.

• Like 4

I was pretty concerned about this until I realized that I, generally, go by my middle name.  So, in social situations I introduce myself as Einar.  However my first name--on my passport, my credit cards, and according to Princess--is Massimo.

Whew, that was a close one.

On 10/20/2022 at 3:50 PM, Meridian2uk said:

I always tick the box on any documentation “do not share my details with 3rd parties” On my recent Princess cruise the first and second names of all the cabin occupants are displayed outside the door via the locking mechanism for Medallion Net, easy to find single lady travellers which I wasn’t comfortable with. I then discovered via the Medallion App I can search the entire passenger list! I’ll explain, imagine I sit next to Fred at dinner and he works in textiles, I can go in my Medallion App and bring up a list of every Frederick on board, by each name is their photo so I can match the photo with the Fred I had dinner with. Knowing Fred’s last name and home town I have everything I need to search everything that there is about him in the public domain. I can search Companies House UK to see if he has been made bankrupt, court records to see convictions all this because Medallion Net (via Princess Cruises) gave me access to Fred’s last name.  A passenger port side in a queue didn’t seem bothered about this until the passenger behind him asked for his first name and searched on the app, found the photo to match his first name and within 3 minutes told him he had been given a Driving Under Influence of Alcohol the previous year and for the last 2 companies he was director of went bankrupt. I think this needs addressing. The staff didn’t seem concerned but said it would be mentioned to Head Office. I’ve heard nothing yet. 

People are not even worried about catching Covid on Princess so I have a feeling this is not even going to make most passenger's worry lists.

• Like 2