Live from the Discovery Princess - 10/22/22-10/29/22 - aka “The Love Boat Cruise”

7seascruising

My wife and are are sailing with my parents. We’ve been looking forward to this cruise for a long time, since it was supposed to originally happen in February of this year. So far, embarkation was “chaotic” to put it mildly. Once on board, service was typical high level Princess. Oh. Internet so far is abysmal. Haven’t left port yet, but I don’t see how that’s supposed to improve anything. Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll update when I can. Bon Voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 7seascruising said:

My wife and are are sailing with my parents. We’ve been looking forward to this cruise for a long time, since it was supposed to originally happen in February of this year. So far, embarkation was “chaotic” to put it mildly. Once on board, service was typical high level Princess. Oh. Internet so far is abysmal. Haven’t left port yet, but I don’t see how that’s supposed to improve anything. Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll update when I can. Bon Voyage!

Chaotic?  What time did you arrive and then OB?

I thought pier 92 goes smoothly?  
Hmmm

36 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I saw a post from Princess stating that they are filming the dating reality show on your cruise.  Can you please advise us if this is disruptive to your cruising experience?

Where did you see this post? We weren’t informed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Does it normally go smoothly?  What time do you usually checkin and then OB about what time?

TIA

In Jan and April Berth 92 boarding was show up at 10:30 and on the ship by 11:15 with Elite boarding no issue. I'll see how Berth 93 is tomorrow when I board the Sapphire

Edited by fpsphil
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy the cruise and thanks for posting, I hope it is a fun cruise.  I was hoping to take this cruise, but sold out before I could book.  After watching the Real Love Boat episode last week; I realized their is no way I would ever know Jill Whelan if I were to see her in person , same with other original cast members.  They have changed so much, in a good way.  Jill Whelan is such a good Ambassador for Princess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandipalms said:

I realized their is no way I would ever know Jill Whelan if I were to see her in person , same with other original cast members.  They have changed so much, in a good way.  

Yes, people's appearance does tend to change over the course of 45 years. 🙄

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Or hopefully it's just a photo op, showing cast members from both shows together.

October 22, 2022 7:31 PM EDT
EXCITING AND NEW INTRODUCTIONS BETWEEN THE ORIGINAL CAST OF "THE LOVE BOAT" AND "THE REAL LOVE BOAT" HOSTS AND CREW

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Oct. 22, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- The Love Boat….promises something for everyone…proved true today as the cast members from the original scripted show "The Love Boat" met with the hosts of CBS's romantic adventure dating show "The Real Love Boat," Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell, and The Real Love Boat Crew.

"Rebecca and I grew up watching the original 'Love Boat' and our show is inspired by that beloved series so to meet the original cast was just a wonderful experience," said Jerry O'Connell, host of "The Real Love Boat."

Princess Cruises Celebrations Ambassador Jill Whelan (Vicki Stubing), is joined by fellow "Love Boat" cast members Cynthia Lauren Tewes (Julie McCoy), Bernie Kopell (Doc), Fred Grandy (Gopher) and Ted Lange (Isaac) were onboard as they departed for a specially-themed "Love Boat" cruise leaving from the Port of Los Angeles on a seven-day roundtrip Mexican Riviera cruise onboard Discovery Princess. The original ensemble cast will celebrate their friend and everyone's favorite cruise ship Captain Stubing with a tribute to Actor Gavin MacLeod. Together they will also share their favorite memories from the show and participate in various guest activities, including a renewal of vows for guests.

"The Real Love Boat," hosted by Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell, is set on a luxury Princess Cruises ship and they are joined by the ship's crew members – Captain Paolo Arrigo, Ezra Freeman (Bartender) and Matt Mitcham (Cruise Director) – bringing singles together to cruise the Mediterranean while looking for love. With over 40 combined years working in the industry, Arrigo, Freeman and Mitcham bring their real-world expertise to help the Singles find love in this adventure of a lifetime. Destination dates, challenges and surprise new singles are testing the couples' compatibility and chemistry. Like the beloved original scripted series set aboard a Princess cruise ship, the indispensable crew members play pivotal roles in the matchmaking and navigation of the romantic (and sometimes turbulent) waters ahead. "The Real Love Boat" airs on the CBS Television Network 9/8c and is available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

... "Together they will also share their favorite memories from the show and participate in various guest activities, including a renewal of vows for guests."

I've always wanted a bartender as a best man. 😃

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, losky2 said:

I’m on this cruise right now and they are not filming for The Real Love Boat - that was a pre-sail photo op. 

then it was a false start from a poster, wonderful !

• Haha 1

We were on her last week for a coastal.  You would think WiFi would be pretty good as we were not far out at sea.  But it was the worst I ever had.  Going to Hawaii in a few weeks on Sapphire and am thinking I will go old school and skip the internet. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CruisefunSAN said:

How is the WIFI on board? I read somewhere the WIFI was not good on this ship. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

We were on her last week for a coastal.  You would think WiFi would be pretty good as we were not far out at sea.  But it was the worst I ever had.  Going to Hawaii in a few weeks on Sapphire and am thinking I will go old school and skip the internet. 

I continue to be mystified by this.  I was on the Majestic in April and had Princess' Internet access from San Francisco down to Ensenada and back to LA.  The speeds weren't great, but I got a consistent 3-6 Mbps down when I bothered to use it - and it was good enough to do some video streaming.  The ship was only about 70% full of passengers, but the difference between 70% and 100% shouldn't cause THAT much difference between decent/OK Internet and a total disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawDog61 said:

I was on Discovery last week too.  I asked for a refund since I purchased the wifi on its own.  I gave them an earful on my survey!  If I can't perform a stock trade when needed, I will think twice to be on the ship!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I was on Discovery last week too.  I asked for a refund since I purchased the wifi on its own.  I gave them an earful on my survey!  If I can't perform a stock trade when needed, I will think twice to be on the ship!

Did they refund you with credit back to your credit card you used to pay?  Or credit your onboard account with "refundable" credit or "non-refundable" OBC?

My 3 b2b2b cruises starts this Saturday, and I bought 4-device internet for all 16 days.  From all the bad reviews I read so far, I don't know if I should cancel my purchases and get refund back to my credit card before my cruises start or leave it alone and see how it goes.  I do prefer to have internet service but if it is bad and I get "non-refundable" OBC, then I am stuck using the OBC during my cruise.  I already have a lot of "non-refundable" OBC I need to use.

Thank you.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, 7seascruising said:

We will be on the 10/29 sailing.  The next time you go to Guest Service, if you don't mind, please kindly ask how many total passengers and how many Elite members will be on the 10/29 sailing.  TIA!!