Traveling to Japan - Replacing SIM card on my Iphone, while vacationing in Japan

Positive Critic

A tour guide in Japan explained that buying a SIM card when we arrive in Japan, and installing it on our Iphone,  while we are visiting in Japan for 2 weeks, will avoid any chances of being charge for calls,  texting roaming, wi-fi connecting, etc., etc,. he said it will eliminate 100% of AT&T overseas usage/connectivity charges, UNTIL we return to the USA, and put our regular SIM card back on our Iphone.

Is this 100% accurate? Has anyone done this? any suggestions, or tips greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Positive Critic said:

A tour guide in Japan explained that buying a SIM card when we arrive in Japan, and installing it on our Iphone,  while we are visiting in Japan for 2 weeks, will avoid any chances of being charge for calls,  texting roaming, wi-fi connecting, etc., etc,. he said it will eliminate 100% of AT&T overseas usage/connectivity charges, UNTIL we return to the USA, and put our regular SIM card back on our Iphone.

Is this 100% accurate? Has anyone done this? any suggestions, or tips greatly appreciated. 

WRONG.

An iphone with an AT&T network requires an AT&T SIM card. Several phone settings are specific to AT&T and a different SIM Card will affect phone performance -especially as regards call and text.

AT&T has a “passport” feature. Call them and turn it on. There’s no charge unless you take your phone off Airplane Mode and actually use it for data, call, text, in which case you will incur a $10 charge (additional phone on your account is $5 if used) per 24 hour period. BTW, this is for land only!

And turning on “wifi calling” is not what most folks think it is. When you turn it on, all it does is provide a connection to your carrier (or foreign partner) cellular service where you’ll still be billed. The other “wifi calling” is to use an APP like WhatsApp or iMessage/Face Time.

BTW, if you’re on some ships (e.g., Oceania’s fleet), there is an AT&T satellite receiver which is convenient but expensive whether you buy the AT&T cruise package or make a single call. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

WRONG.

An iphone with an AT&T network requires an AT&T SIM card. Several phone settings are specific to AT&T and a different SIM Card will affect phone performance -especially as regards call and text.

AT&T has a “passport” feature. Call them and turn it on. There’s no charge unless you take your phone off Airplane Mode and actually use it for data, call, text, in which case you will incur a $10 charge (additional phone on your account is $5 if used) per 24 hour period. BTW, this is for land only!

We've always used the AT&T feature as described.  Most days, we don't use a cell phone when traveling.  But IF we do need to use the phone, then during that 24 hour period, we might make a few (or a bunch!?) of other calls as long as they didn't cost extra.

I did keep the phone off most of the time.  That wouldn't be a good time to get a wrong number or telemarketing call. 😡 

I didn't know about the $5 charge for an additional phone on the account, so thanks for mentioning that, FF!

GC

27 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We've always used the AT&T feature as described.  Most days, we don't use a cell phone when traveling.  But IF we do need to use the phone, then during that 24 hour period, we might make a few (or a bunch!?) of other calls as long as they didn't cost extra.

I did keep the phone off most of the time.  That wouldn't be a good time to get a wrong number or telemarketing call. 😡 

I didn't know about the $5 charge for an additional phone on the account, so thanks for mentioning that, FF!

GC

AT&T has an “international” web site, which is where the $5 is mentioned. The first device starts the 24 hr clock and, if a second device on the same account then makes/receives call, text, data, it is served for the remainder of device 1’s 24 hr clock.

Like you, we time when we’ll actually need cellular (like communicating with guides about pickup, etc) and plan to do other cellular during that 24 hr session.

Japan's telephone / commuications regualtions are very strict.

Only Japanese Residents can purchase a Japanese SIM Card.

Perhaps you can find a Japanese local to buy one for you.

Otherwise you can rent a SIM card at any Japanese international airport.

Ok so, Yes, in theory, installing a local sim card will avoid roaming charges. 

You get your sim card from a phone company who provides service. Some phones are locked into a certain phone company (so if you purchased your phone from your phone company) and will have to be "unlocked" to change sim cards. I did this when traveling to australia. I had my phone unlocked before I left and when I arrived I purchase a local sim card from a local phone company. You will most likely be using a prepaid phone service with a set number of minutes and data. Keep in mind that this will change your phone number. You will now be getting service through a local phone company. 

However, as Bruce Muzz stated, Japan is different. You can only rent a SIM card in japan, not purchase. Same idea, you would rent it in the airport, get it prepaid for a number of minutes/data, and then return it when you leave. You would still have to have your phone unlocked before you left. You can also rent a phone in japan with a japanese sim card. This may be the simpliest solution, but I"m not sure the cost.

If you are going for two weeks, it really depends on how much access you want to your phone. If you are just going to check your e-mail and facebook at the hotel, you can turn off roaming and connect to wifi. If you want around the clock phone only access - ATT provides a range of options. We did like a 30 day phone service with set amount of prepaid data and that was not significantly more than the cost of renting a sim card. If you want to use your phone there the way you use your phone here, you can turn on the daily plan or look into the sim card rental. 

Edited by sanger727

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

WRONG.

Actually you are WRONG. If the iphone is unlocked then it does not require an AT&T SIM card or an AT&T ESIM. I have used other SIM cards in my iPhone but I always get them from the Apple store where all the ones sold are unlocked. If they bought at an AT&T store they may be locked. Even then it is possible after a certain time period to get AT&T to unlock them.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Actually you are WRONG. If the iphone is unlocked then it does not require an AT&T SIM card or an AT&T ESIM. I have used other SIM cards in my iPhone but I always get them from the Apple store where all the ones sold are unlocked. If they bought at an AT&T store they may be locked. Even then it is possible after a certain time period to get AT&T to unlock them.

I should’ve been more clear. I was trying to comment only about locked AT&T phones.

Thanks for the clarification.

Nonetheless, I still recommend the AT&T Daily Passport for those who can organize their cell needs.

10 hours ago, Positive Critic said:

As others have mentioned with regular AT&T plans you can do travel passes that sre $10 a day so you would want to compare that cost to how much the local SIM would cost. Also it is like you were at home to calls to the US would be included but calls to Japanese numbers would be international rates. With a local SIM you would have a local phone number not your AT&T number, So that is somthing to consider. As mentioned Japan is strict about SIM cards but you can get a Global SIM or ESIM card. So you would want to compare the cost of that to the $10 a day travel pass. Also what model iPhone do have. Some have dual SIMs. 

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I should’ve been more clear. I was trying to comment only about locked AT&T phones.

Thanks for the clarification.

Nonetheless, I still recommend the AT&T Daily Passport for those who can organize their cell needs.

Personally I think that is what I would do if touring Japan on vacation. If it was busness travel or I was living ior studiying in Japan then a local SIM could be a better option as local calls in Japan would be included.

I don't know the WiFi situation in Japan but when traveling in Europe I  have not had to use the travel pass every day as there is plenty of WiFi. 

Edited by Charles4515

I think there are a few different issues (confused in some of the posts).  The first (and most important) is whether the OP has a "locked phone" which would mean it will not work with other SIMs.  If the phone is locked (in this case to ATT) the OP should call ATT and find out if they will "Unlock" that phone (if so, they will give you a code that you put into the phone).  Most newer phones should work fine in Japan and it is possible to buy SIMS.  Just keep in mind that you would then have a Japanese phone number and depending on the deal you get with that SIM...you may or may not have the ability to make free calls back to home

Our easy solution is to simply have a phone with a T-Mobile account.  We often say that T-Mobile just works and it works in over 200 countries around the world.  Most T-Mobile plans do not have any additional fees for using it for data and texting...anywhere.  The overseas speeds might be a bit slow for some folks, but if that is an issue you can get LTE (if available) for $5 a day or $50 a month!   Phone calls back to home will cost 25 cents a minute (free if you do it on a WiFi systam).

Japan is also a bit different in that they rent portable WiFi.  Rather than going into a lot of detail we would suggest the OP (and others going to Japan) simply Google "Japan portable WiFi" and read about the service.  There are various providers, and each has their pros and cons.

Hank

I had not read the travel pass terms for a couple years so looking at the current terms a correction to what I said above. Local calls in Japan would be included. Also now they won’t bill you more than 10 days in a billing cycle. So you won’t be charged more than $100 a billing cycle. So if you used it 14 days for example and those days were within one billing cycle the charge would be $100, not $140.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I had not read the travel pass terms for a couple years so looking at the current terms a correction to what I said above. Local calls in Japan would be included. Also now they won’t bill you more than 10 days in a billing cycle. So you won’t be charged more than $100 a billing cycle. So if you used it 14 days for example and those days were within one billing cycle the charge would be $100, not $140.  

Thanks so much for reminding us about the maximum charge for 10 days in a billing cycle, meaning the maximum charge for unlimited international calls (I *think* it is for all such calls) would be only $100 in a billing cycle (not, say, $300 if one used the phone every day).

We haven't traveled much the past few years (duh!), so I had forgotten all the specifics.

I remember that we double checked just when our "billing cycle" started, so we could try to keep the trip phone usage in on billing cycle if possible.

But worst case, still $10 max per day, meaning max of $200 *if* one used 10 days in each of two billing cycles in a trip.

Yes, we used the phone to "call home" (USA) and also any calls within Japan.  And it didn't require any special equipment... just a phone call to start the new plan and then another call at when we returned to end it.  (And since DH did that, it may have even been possible to do it online...??)

Remembering what "roaming charges" used to be, and also what international calls used to cost... this is really inexpensive, with a low maximum, be it per day or per billing cycle, or even per month (max would be if a month spanned 2 cycles, with 10 days billed each).

Not that long ago (by our Geezer standards, I suppose!), $100 could be hit (and passed!) all too easily in a single international call... even on a land line... 😡 

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks so much for reminding us about the maximum charge for 10 days in a billing cycle, meaning the maximum charge for unlimited international calls (I *think* it is for all such calls) would be only $100 in a billing cycle (not, say, $300 if one used the phone every day).

We haven't traveled much the past few years (duh!), so I had forgotten all the specifics.

I remember that we double checked just when our "billing cycle" started, so we could try to keep the trip phone usage in on billing cycle if possible.

But worst case, still $10 max per day, meaning max of $200 *if* one used 10 days in each of two billing cycles in a trip.

Yes, we used the phone to "call home" (USA) and also any calls within Japan.  And it didn't require any special equipment... just a phone call to start the new plan and then another call at when we returned to end it.  (And since DH did that, it may have even been possible to do it online...??)

Remembering what "roaming charges" used to be, and also what international calls used to cost... this is really inexpensive, with a low maximum, be it per day or per billing cycle, or even per month (max would be if a month spanned 2 cycles, with 10 days billed each).

Not that long ago (by our Geezer standards, I suppose!), $100 could be hit (and passed!) all too easily in a single international call... even on a land line... 😡 

GC

My understanding from a call to AT&T International Dept is that it’s a max of $100 per 30 days from first use of the $10/day Passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My understanding from a call to AT&T International Dept is that it’s a max of $100 per 30 days from first use of the $10/day Passport.

Thanks.  That would be even better!

(It's been a few years since we used this plan.  We don't need it while we hide at home from ... 😡 )

GC