Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 43

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, October 24 and Sunday, October 30.

Dave had a busy week last week. Dave didn't take time to enjoy his favorite hobby. Dave only took three pictures!

Don't be Dave. Take some photos and share them!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

This morning I spotted some yellow-tailed black-cockatoos. Unfortunately there was no way to get closer as they were on a tree above a waterfall. From what I've read, it's the male on the left and female on the right.

RX035195A.thumb.jpg.8d821de45f6a2ad0b41ca74ca17f8afe.jpg

• Like 6

The week ended with time spent at Jackie's first Freestyle competition. Freestyle is part of the rating system for skaters and Freestyle 1 is the first big step up from the beginner levels. Compare it to moving from Elementary to Middle School. In the lower levels, the skaters compete with others close to their age. No longer is a first-place finish guaranteed barring an unlucky fall. She now competes with skaters as much as 6-8 years older. I had to smile when she took to the ice for the practice session as the smallest member of the group by at least six inches. Despite that, she turned in an excellent performance and placed in the middle of the pack. She’s not really a princess. She’s a bit of a warrior.

Ice Princess

1481768836_2022-43IcePrincess.thumb.jpg.72ceac0175805169be6a2c41b3c9adb0.jpg

Dave

• Like 7

16 hours ago, pierces said:

The week ended with time spent at Jackie's first Freestyle competition. Freestyle is part of the rating system for skaters and Freestyle 1 is the first big step up from the beginner levels. Compare it to moving from Elementary to Middle School. In the lower levels, the skaters compete with others close to their age. No longer is a first-place finish guaranteed barring an unlucky fall. She now competes with skaters as much as 6-8 years older. I had to smile when she took to the ice for the practice session as the smallest member of the group by at least six inches. Despite that, she turned in an excellent performance and placed in the middle of the pack. She’s not really a princess. She’s a bit of a warrior.

Ice Princess

Dave

CUTE!

Do you still going to review Neo?

16 hours ago, pierces said:

U

Another weekend, another visit to the wetlands.  Actually, two.  I went briefly on Saturday, but got tired of getting rained on every 5-10 minutes and left early after just a few hours...then Sunday was clear and sunny, so I headed back again.

A red-winged blackbird, looking about as annoyed with the rain as I was at this point:

original.jpg

The black-bellied whistling duck mom was guiding her growing ducklings across the open lake.  The ducklings start out an adorable yellow-and-black bumble-bee pattern when small, then go through this dull brown 'teenage' phase, before finally morphing into the lovely adult coat:

original.jpg

Once the most common lizard to spot in South Florida, the green anole is now vastly outnubered by the invasive brown anole, invasive northern curly-tailed lizard, invasive house gecko, and invasive green iguana.  So it's a treat to get to spot one of the native Florida lizards:

original.jpg

This tree frog came hopping right into my field of view - a good 3-4 foot hop from another reed - and immediately upon seeing me, hopped away another 3 feet to this reed, where he tried to scurry behind to hide.  I guess he wasn't expecting a large human standing right where he was hopping to:

original.jpg

A red-shouldered hawk standing guard on a dead tree overlooking the wetlands.  Very far away - I took this shot from about 300 feet:

original.jpg

A beautiful little bird that's usually spotted on the forest floor in dark thick forests.  I was lucky that this ovenbird decided to hop out of the forest and briefly into the sun as it went after a bug, and I even caught it with its crown fluffed up:

original.jpg

Another big raptor a few hundred feet away - this osprey was high atop a pole, working on eating a fish it had caught:

original.jpg

I'm not even sure how he got under there!  A small island clustered around some pond apple trees had 4-5 turtles sunning themselves on it, while poking out from UNDER the island was this juvenile alligator:

original.jpg

A palm warbler working its way through the reeds, hunting bugs:

original.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/30/2022 at 10:49 PM, pierces said:

Ice Princess

Dave

That looks like a waltz jump! It's one of my favorite jumps. What is her music?

On 11/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, PurpleHays said:

That looks like a waltz jump! It's one of my favorite jumps. What is her music?

I am the wrong person to ask about music choice.. I was sort of "focusing" on the visuals. 😁 

Her coach has a history of picking great routine music. A lot of history. She was my daughter's coach 30 years ago.

Dave

• Like 1