Paris-Normandy River Cruises/Lines

TN_travels

Hello all! I am hoping you can help with some advice for a Seine river cruise next spring (perhaps May/June 2023). I have previously traveled only on Uniworld and am not ruling them out for this trip, but rather thinking it is smart to consider alternatives as well (I am particularly interested in Tauck and Scenic but will certainly consider others if they have a compelling itinerary). I have been to Paris previously and will likely add a few days in Paris on to the beginning of this trip to shop and eat and try to see some new things. 

Have you taken one of these cruises with Uniworld or another cruise line and what did/didn't you like? 

And have you cruised since 2021 and have you noticed any differences, good or bad, with that cruise line? 

Thank you so much for your help! 

I guess I should also mention that I am not opposed to just spending a few days in Paris and then doing a cruise in France. I think Bordeaux or Provence sounds lovely- but have read some reviews here that the Bordeaux cruises are for the serious wine lovers and, while I enjoy a glass of wine, I am certainly no expert. 

@TN_travels We sailed the Seine with AMA in August of 2021. As you are planning, we spent a few days in Paris and took advantage of a full day walking tour of Paris with an excellent Tour By Locals guide before the cruise. 

Previously we had sailed with Scenic and Uniworld but we choose AMA based on an excellent promotional price. It was a great trip, and we enjoyed the AMA experience we felt it didn't measure up to Uniworld or Scenic. 

One of the things that stood out about the whole trip was the extremely warm welcome we received wherever we went. The AMA crew, restaurants, shops, etc. everyone was happy to have tourists 'back' and they went out of their way to say thank you. 

Keep us informed on what you decide.

Paul

We did the 10-night Normandy and Gems of the Seine itinerary on Scenic this spring and loved every moment of it.  We also spent time in Paris post-cruise and did a couple of unique tours:  2 hours being driven around Paris in a 2CV, and 5 hours walking around Montmartre with a Chef who also made us a fabulous lunch in his (tiny) restaurant.  More details here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2875979-review-of-normandy-gems-of-the-seine-cruise-on-scenic-gem-from-april-25–may-5-2022/

Thank you for your replies! @Wings55, what did you feel didn't measure up to Uniworld/Scenic? I am curious as I just returned from a Uniworld trip and felt that while it was a lovely trip, it didn't quite measure up to pre-pandemic cruises (hence why I am thinking about branching out). 

@Host JazzbeauI had previously read your review and thought it sounded wonderful! I will give it another read this evening. Have you been to other areas of France? My only concern with spending so much time in greater Paris is that there is so much more of France (and the world, frankly) that I would like to see and vacation time is limited. I think I have a bit of analysis paralysis!

1 hour ago, TN_travels said:

@Host JazzbeauI had previously read your review and thought it sounded wonderful! I will give it another read this evening. Have you been to other areas of France? My only concern with spending so much time in greater Paris is that there is so much more of France (and the world, frankly) that I would like to see and vacation time is limited. I think I have a bit of analysis paralysis!

Yes, DW and I have been to France many times [starting when I spent 6 months there as part of my college program.  We have done a Rhone cruise on AMA, which we also enjoyed tremendously – but if I were booking it now, I would prefer Scenic because I really like their longer itineraries and our back-to-back river cruises this spring on AMA and Scenic favored Scenic on all measures.

We have spent the last 11 years working through my 'bucket list' of places around the world, and haven't found very many that we would like to return to again and again.  Paris is #1 on that list.

Just a suggestion never tried it but would be interesting- all on Scenic as so far I have not found another companies tour I’d like to take.

Paris to Paris you get to moor up in Honfluer not many companies do that.

Then on to Lyon and the South of France, gastronomy at its most sublime and beautiful, beautiful countryside oh and the locals are great (you don’t hear a Brit say that a lot).

Then a quick trot over to Bordeaux lots of wines to savour pretty areas. All of these areas have the most amazing history’s as you can guess one of my abiding interests, it’s when I seem to loose my better half.

Then either pop across the border to the Douro or double back to the Rhine or Danube the combinations are endless. Let us know if you try!

I thought the itinerary that Jazzbeau did sounded amazing.

12 hours ago, TN_travels said:

My only concern with spending so much time in greater Paris is that there is so much more of France (and the world, frankly) that I would like to see and vacation time is limited.

Well I am biased because I do not really like Paris and am a fan of the East of France and Burgundy. The city of Reims has so much atmosphere. Having said that, Paris is a great city to explore. What you can do is fly into another city and take the train. Or take a train from Paris for a trip out. The high-speed trains in Europe are a great way to get around. If I was American and did not want to fly into Paris CDG, I would even consider flying to Heathrow, staying in London, then taking the Eurostar via Lille (interesting old city) to Paris.

So many option. And the Rhone is a fabulous itinerary, too.

notamermaid

Thanks again for the input! My first choice would honestly be to take a Scenic or Tauck Duoro cruise, but there appears to be so little available for 2023, so I think that will have to be tabled until 2024. I think I have narrowed down my options for 2023 to Tauck or Scenic for  Paris/Normandy or Paris/Burgundy (Scenic) or Paris/Lyon/Provence (Tauck). What really appeals to me about these itineraries is that they seem relatively relaxing, which I think is the goal of a mental unwinding spring/summer vacation.

We were just in London last month, and it was lovely (cold and rainy, but lovely). I feel like I could visit London, Rome and Paris constantly and never get enough! I am going to look further into Rhone itineraries, thank you for the suggestion!

19 hours ago, TN_travels said:

Thank you for your replies! @Wings55, what did you feel didn't measure up to Uniworld/Scenic? I am curious as I just returned from a Uniworld trip and felt that while it was a lovely trip, it didn't quite measure up to pre-pandemic cruises (hence why I am thinking about branching out). 

Maybe it was because AMA was still getting back up to speed following COVID, but the staff wasn't as attentive as we experienced with Scenic/Uniworld. The ship was older and didn't feel as upscale. The excursions were fine but again, Scenic offered experiences that were above and beyond. 

AMA was fine but it just didn't feel 'upscale' to me. YMMV

Paul

Edited by Wings55
Fat fingers.