Specialty Restaurant reservations opening...how do you choose your nights?

Ski Mom 2

Our Specialty Restaurant reservations open up in just a few days. This will be our first O cruise and I'm wondering how do you choose which night to eat where? How do I choose today where I want to eat in January? We are also traveling with several others (many who can't book yet) and I know I need their info to pull them into my booking. We are cruising for 20 days and have 2 reservations per specialty restaurant. We do prefer to eat late and we do like to eat with others (great way to meet folks) but today I don't know who I'm going to meet! 😄

If you'd share your thoughts I'd appreciate it!

I book mine based off of whether or not I have an early or late excursion. Our upcoming cruise has one day in port where an excursion lasts until 7:30pm - definitely didn't book a dinner that night. And if I have an early, all-day excursion, I don't book a late dinner the night before. Also, I try to book a specialty the first night - just a tradition for me on all of my cruises. Other than that, no rhyme nor reason.

• Like 2

If you like to eat late, like 8pm or later, and you are more than willing to share tables, you should be able to eat at most specialty restaurants each night by just walking up to the restaurant without reservations (that's how they filled those tables with 6 to 8 diners, usually).  You may have a good chance of reserving a table for 6 or 8 on the same day.  Most reservations are made for 2 to 4 people and at an early time.  Unless there are big groups who happen to be on your cruise, those larger tables are usually available.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Our Specialty Restaurant reservations open up in just a few days. This will be our first O cruise and I'm wondering how do you choose which night to eat where? How do I choose today where I want to eat in January? We are also traveling with several others (many who can't book yet) and I know I need their info to pull them into my booking. We are cruising for 20 days and have 2 reservations per specialty restaurant. We do prefer to eat late and we do like to eat with others (great way to meet folks) but today I don't know who I'm going to meet! 😄

If you'd share your thoughts I'd appreciate it!

Sea days provide the most flexibility which is why they book full the fastest. Port days with the earliest departure are the next most popular. The least popular are forts and last nights of your cruise. Overnights in port are popular with some folks and unpopular with those who prefer to dine on land or do an O evening excursion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far!

I did think of another question if you don't mind...

Our actual group is 12. If we want to all dine together at least once during our cruise, what's the best way to go about that? Booking ahead? Booking on board? Specialty restaurant? Main Dining Room?

Only possible 12 is in the MDR and that has been the Captain’s table. 8 has been the max in any Specially restaurant. When we have been traveling with 8-12 friends or more, we just book multiple tables of 6 or 8 and just let friends select table mates for each reservation. It often helps in making the reservations if one or more couples is in a PH or Suite because their booking date is earlier than veranda and lower staterooms. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes

55 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Thanks for the replies so far!

I did think of another question if you don't mind...

Our actual group is 12. If we want to all dine together at least once during our cruise, what's the best way to go about that? Booking ahead? Booking on board? Specialty restaurant? Main Dining Room?

Privee  if you are on an O class ship (fee)

GDR  ask a day or so before

AFAIK

They  only have tables for 8 in the Specialties  other than  Red Ginger where they could  seat you along the wall with the bench seats on one side

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

If you like to eat late, like 8pm or later, and you are more than willing to share tables, you should be able to eat at most specialty restaurants each night by just walking up to the restaurant without reservations (that's how they filled those tables with 6 to 8 diners, usually). 

I did not think they would accept walk ups ??

We have had tables for 8 when booking the "Sharing option"

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I did not think they would accept walk ups ??

We have had tables for 8 when booking the "Sharing option"

I believe they still do plus they are planning to eat at 8 or later when walk ups are more easily available, but this is all academic since they are a party of 12 and will require two tables, at least, so some booking ahead will be required. 

Well another couple of question have come up amongst our group and since you've all been so helpful, I thought I'd throw out a few more...

Two of our group are in suites (and can make our reservations in a few days) while the rest of the group must wait another month. Looking at their invoices, I've been told they only get 1 reservation per specialty restaurant while we get 2. If we want to include one or two of those couples with one of our reservations, does that mean we have booked their one and only for that particular restaurant? Or are we "pulling them into our reservation" and therefore "giving them" an additional reservation?

If we want them to join us more than their 1 per restaurant do we need to wait until we're on board and then try to change our reservation from 2 people to 4 people and pull them in that way? Is this something my butler could do or is it best to go to the restaurant myself and ask?

My TA has given me the name of her O rep that has offered to "help me" make my own reservations and potentially pull in some of our group to those reservations. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Are they helping so many clients that you still may or may not get the date and time of what you're hoping for? Is it better just to do it myself?

Again, thank you all for your insight!

31 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Well another couple of question have come up amongst our group and since you've all been so helpful, I thought I'd throw out a few more...

Two of our group are in suites (and can make our reservations in a few days) while the rest of the group must wait another month. Looking at their invoices, I've been told they only get 1 reservation per specialty restaurant while we get 2. If we want to include one or two of those couples with one of our reservations, does that mean we have booked their one and only for that particular restaurant? Or are we "pulling them into our reservation" and therefore "giving them" an additional reservation?

If we want them to join us more than their 1 per restaurant do we need to wait until we're on board and then try to change our reservation from 2 people to 4 people and pull them in that way? Is this something my butler could do or is it best to go to the restaurant myself and ask?

My TA has given me the name of her O rep that has offered to "help me" make my own reservations and potentially pull in some of our group to those reservations. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Are they helping so many clients that you still may or may not get the date and time of what you're hoping for? Is it better just to do it myself?

Again, thank you all for your insight!

I can answer your first question.
When you make a reservation that includes the booking number of your friends, that counts for their allowable reservation. They will not then be able to book a reservation on their own. You will have “used” their allowance.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will answer your other questions. Sounds like a great cruise, have a blast!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

You can only pre book your allotted number of reservations

You can however once onboard  ask for extra reservations

This is so everyone  gets a fair chance  at getting into the Specialties 

Unfair of people in suites to book tables for those in the lower categories  to match their allocations

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I can answer your first question.
When you make a reservation that includes the booking number of your friends, that counts for their allowable reservation. They will not then be able to book a reservation on their own. You will have “used” their allowance.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will answer your other questions. Sounds like a great cruise, have a blast!

Also, once someone includes you in their reservation (via having your booking number), only that person can delete you from that reservation. You can’t delete it from your account.

• Like 1

We have been on cruises that are sold out.  If you are flexible in dates and times, you should be able to get a reservation at each restaurant.  First nights are usually easy to get a table.  If you have trouble getting what works for you, note that not all openings can be booked online. See the maitr’d on the ship.  On longer cruises, we often get additional reservations.  The most popular restaurant is Jacques. I always look for that reservation first.  Regardless, the food is excellent in all venues. I even like eating in the Terrace buffet area. On warm evenings, many people like the buffet area outside. The buffet serves the same items at GDR plus cooked to order lobster, steal, and lamb chops.  

• Like 2