Africa Port Cancellations

earth117

Others besides the November 29 roll call members might be interested in knowing that Azamara just cancelled two ports on its Western Africa (Nov 29) cruise. 

Azamara email on Oct 26: 

"Port authorities in Senegal and Ivory Coast have advised that their ports will remain closed to cruise ships due to their COVID-19 protocols. Therefore, we will now call in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria and have an additional sea day. By adding a day at sea, we were able extend our time in Banjul, now departing at 5:00 p.m.

I'm quite disappointed that we lose 2 of the 7 continental Africa ports - the main reason I chose this cruise. I know the loss is outside Azamara's control, but I wish they could have come up with a better substitute than a Spanish port and a day at sea. For example, Cape Verde Islands and/or possibly Togo or Benin. I'm not sure whether this will affect the March 4 Western Africa cruise. 

• Thanks 1

If they have to go to the Canaries it would be better to pick one of the smaller less well known islands. I know changes are out of their control but it always seems to be after full balance is paid and very short notice.

20 minutes ago, john1970 said:

If they have to go to the Canaries it would be better to pick one of the smaller less well known islands.

Lanzarote was our favorite.  Timanfaya National Park and the Cesar Manrique places.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Lanzarote was our favorite.  Timanfaya National Park and the Cesar Manrique places.

And I love Lanzarote too. I've done land trips there as well as cruises. It's a beautiful island. I also love Tenerife for the reason of being the last holiday I spent with my dad as a fifteen year old. I'd happily go back there. It must be so hard to find an alternative port, especially one that can accommodate the ship. We will all have a different reason for going somewhere. 

Stunning nr Haria, Lanzarote from up high. 

Phil 

16CD9CF7-5E70-48E0-B592-649D7889B3A6.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, earth117 said:

Others besides the November 29 roll call members might be interested in knowing that Azamara just cancelled two ports on its Western Africa (Nov 29) cruise. 

Azamara email on Oct 26: 

"Port authorities in Senegal and Ivory Coast have advised that their ports will remain closed to cruise ships due to their COVID-19 protocols. Therefore, we will now call in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria and have an additional sea day. By adding a day at sea, we were able extend our time in Banjul, now departing at 5:00 p.m.

I'm quite disappointed that we lose 2 of the 7 continental Africa ports - the main reason I chose this cruise. I know the loss is outside Azamara's control, but I wish they could have come up with a better substitute than a Spanish port and a day at sea. For example, Cape Verde Islands and/or possibly Togo or Benin. I'm not sure whether this will affect the March 4 Western Africa cruise. 

Or somewhere in Morocco?

We winter in Lanzarote. It’s a fabulous place lovely people and so accessible.  The new cruise terminal is just opening together with new harbour front shopping so the experience for cruisers will be even better soon. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, earth117 said:

Azamara email on Oct 26: 

We are also on this cruise and are very disappointed,we understand that it is out of Azamara’s hands but unless I have read it wrong Senegal has been closed to cruise ships since  19th March 2020 and The Ivory since October 2022, if this is the case could Azamara rearranged something better than places in Spain where we have been on numerous occasions.

Already contacted our agent about this, they  are contacting Azamara, also about the Azamazing evening we were onboard Persuit two weeks ago and was told that as from 11th November the Azamazing evening will be ashore and that was for all ships, what’s going on?

8 hours ago, Grand Cru said:

Already contacted our agent about this, they  are contacting Azamara, also about the Azamazing evening we were onboard Persuit two weeks ago and was told that as from 11th November the Azamazing evening will be ashore and that was for all ships, what’s going on?

I will board Pursuit on November 19th and our evening is scheduled to be onboard. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I will board Pursuit on November 19th and our evening is scheduled to be onboard. 

Even after the date they start offering evenings ashore there will be some that will be held on the ship.  This happens when the ship has issues with the venues available ashore but have identified a really good performer they wish to use.  That happened on our South Caribbean cruise in 2019.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After writing AzamaraCustomerService twice in the last 10 days (and having my travel agent also contact them) about the port cancellations and anemic substitution on the Western African Voyage for Nov 29, I just now received a rather terse reply from Azamara: "At this time there has been no announcement to change the current itinerary." I hope someone else who registered their dismay with them over the poor port substitutions has stronger influence.

We are on this cruise and totally agree that we get one port which many have visited on past cruises. A better solution in my opinion is to find a port in Northern Africa also to even out ports visited. Also poor communication and timing of the switch can not make anyone happy. It does not appear much effort was taken to find suitable substitutions based on the time factor.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 11:15 PM, laurieb said:

I’m sure they’ve done as much as possible to go to the best ports possible. I’m sorry you find the substitutions poor. Better to go somewhere safe than nowhere at all. 

The problem wasn’t particular about a safer port but closed or recluses ports that were swapped out for non Africa ports. 

I did look at the Africa itineraries. The elephant in the room is that West Africa, there really isn't much down that side to see and that's why they find it difficult to substitute. It's a bit like West coast of South America. You can travel for miles with no really exciting ports. East Africa is far more attractive to me. JMHO of course. 

Phil 

• Like 2