Enforcement

Tutuma

2 minutes ago, mhoffrob said:

okay, but I'm (timidly) dying to ask - can I really not wear sandals to any of the restaurants?  I'm not talking about flip flops, but women's dressy0ish sandles with good arch support?  I can wear them to the country cloub, so is that okay?  Technically the dress code says no sandals, but they are what I usually wear.  I've never sailed O before and I'm perplexed on if I have to bring closed shoes and nylons to eat my dinner.

Dressy sandals are quite OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mhoffrob said:

okay, but I'm (timidly) dying to ask - can I really not wear sandals to any of the restaurants?  I'm not talking about flip flops, but women's dressy0ish sandles with good arch support?  I can wear them to the country cloub, so is that okay?  Technically the dress code says no sandals, but they are what I usually wear.  I've never sailed O before and I'm perplexed on if I have to bring closed shoes and nylons to eat my dinner.

I am sure  you already know  they mean flip flops or beach sandals

Most ladies  will wear dress sandals  in the evenings

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Ok for men too?

As long as you have had a recent pedi, keep your nail polish current and complete and have washed your feet in the last week. A few discreet sequins or small flowers on the sandals help to make them looking classy.

• Haha 2

In reply to the OP, I'm with you 100%.  Yes it can be said the cruise industry is "in transition" and therefore ships don't want to annoy dress code ignorers who are paying guests, when the cruise line needs their money. 

However, a cruise line that repeatedly allows casual dress which goes against their published dress codes, is  forgetting one of the reasons that cruise line became successful over the years: an expectation that  the onboard experience will be as advertised.  NCL doesn't advertise as a upscale cruise line. Neither does Carnival, and no one would expect them to be. But Regent and Oceania do. Cunard as well. Guests who choose to travel on those lines have a reasonable expectation that their onboard experience will be upscale, as advertised. 

And when it isn't that way, especially when it's done on purpose  by the ship's staff, guests are right to inquire and express their displeasure.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, escrick said:

I notice ripped jeans.  My take on them is that the wearers like whatever is trendy, and that they are signalling that they are into recycling whatever the cost.  Presumably, they can say they are environmentally friendly.  It baffles me, though.

I just have to jump on here on the ripped jean thing. I have seen this trendy item for $400, "dry clean only." 🤣

18 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

"And when it isn't that way, especially when it's done on purpose  by the ship's staff, guests are right to inquire and express their displeasure."

Unfortunately, the unspoken response will be akin to:

"Look, all the top-tier cruise lines are letting things slide to varying degrees. Where are you going to go?"

I make this observation as someone who is in a tux every evening of a cruise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, no1talks said:

I'm not on any ship's staff.

I am a tradionalist and dress for dinner by 6 pm. If in port, I plan my day to allow for a timely return to the ship for such.

I have rarely seen a tux  on Oceania   but if you like to dress up  enjoy

• Like 1

To me the dress code is simple and straightforward.  Country Club Casual.  Although we are no longer members of a country club but occasionally attend as guests, the standards are uniformly respected by members and guests, i.e., no headwear, jeans, non collard shirts, etc allowed in the clubhouse.  Dining room dress standards are generally more strict (jackets for men) and respected as well. The reality is that attitudes have changed and for some, rules and laws are optional and traditions are not respected.  I intend to follow the club casual dress code and encourage other traditionalists to follow suit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, shank63 said:

To me the dress code is simple and straightforward.  Country Club Casual.  Although we are no longer members of a country club but occasionally attend as guests, the standards are uniformly respected by members and guests, i.e., no headwear, jeans, non collard shirts, etc allowed in the clubhouse.  Dining room dress standards are generally more strict (jackets for men) and respected as well. The reality is that attitudes have changed and for some, rules and laws are optional and traditions are not respected.  I intend to follow the club casual dress code and encourage other traditionalists to follow suit.

When cruising, my evening attire is black slacks, black sport coat, and a variety of colored T-shirts with matching pocket squares. I pack light and usually combine land travel with a cruise, so everything does double duty.  Never been turned away on a formal night on any cruise and there always seems to be some guy in shorts and wearing his ballcap backwards that serves as a diversion.  

23 hours ago, shank63 said:

Yes BUT, last week we went to our friends Country Club for a private function for my wife's birthday. It is one of the more prestigious CC's in the area. We were in a private room, so I don't know how everyone was dressed, but as I was out in the hallway I saw one young couple(30ish) leaving the dining room. She looked nice, he, logoed t-shirt with a ball cap. This was on a Saturday evening. I don't know if he took the cap off during dinner as we didn't eat in that dining room. They had a leftover container, so I doubt they'd been turned away. Yes, the times they are changing.  

Me, I'm more amused than concerned about the whole dress code thing. 

Edited by ORV

I heartily agree that this topic has been discussed a lot.  At the same time, I don't see that asking people to wear a minimum of a collared shirt and slacks is so much to ask.  To wear less is really insulting to the rest of the passengers and shows a lack of concern about the feelings of others.  Just because people wear jeans and T-shirts does not make it appropriate.  Dressing inappropriately is classy -- it is just low class(y).

• Like 3

I am at a bit of a loss why people seem to prefer a plasticy looking tux to nice looking jeans!

Our local NBC news casters are doing the Friday night news wearing jeans and suit jacket and no tie.

Does not bother me and personally I think it looks good!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zalusky said:

I am at a bit of a loss why people seem to prefer a plasticy looking tux to nice looking jeans!

Clothes are created and designed for certain purposes. When those clothes show up at a place/occasion they weren't created for, it's awkward. People notice and naturally have their own opinion about it.  

I know a man who cannot stand to see men wear overalls when boarding a ship.

I know someone  else who cannot stand to see people wearing beach flip flops when boarding a ship. 

40 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Clothes are created and designed for certain purposes. When those clothes show up at a place/occasion they weren't created for, it's awkward. People notice and naturally have their own opinion about it.  

I know a man who cannot stand to see men wear overalls when boarding a ship.

I know someone  else who cannot stand to see people wearing beach flip flops when boarding a ship. 

True originally Denim was designed for cowboys doing laborer work.   Now days the clothing companies are DESIGNING denim for social events and charging appropriately.