Enforcement

Tutuma

A dead budgie😮. I thought it was a Norwegian Blue😀.

I fretted about Country Casual before current cruise. Bought some new Paul Smith polos and shirts. But anything seems to go for the men. Certainly below smart casual as average. Seen a few jeans, walking trousers and even tracksuit bottoms (but the poor wife probably had issues dressing the poor frail 20 stone guy). Ladies look smarter. We even had a drunk wearing shorts marched out of GDR. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 2:53 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Wearing a tux to 6pm dinner went out when waiters stopped calling people to dinner by walking the First Class passageways playing xylophones.

Actually I understand that has only recently been stopped on HAL( not for 1st class passengers though) he was called the Yum yum man and our group started cheering him on. This was quickly taken up by everyone in the bar! I think he enjoyed all the attention.

Rosalyn

image.jpeg.bebb85e9c47adae8f5b53a1284ef1a67.jpeg

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 1

I’m getting ready to start packing - the pre packing look in the wardrobe has begun - I am going to take a pair of very very smart indigo jeans to wear one evening just to check if it causes anyone to be put off their food….

I am sure it won’t and we will all come out the other side unscathed. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

I’m getting ready to start packing - the pre packing look in the wardrobe has begun - I am going to take a pair of very very smart indigo jeans to wear one evening just to check if it causes anyone to be put off their food….

The food is WAY too good! It'll take much more than a pair of jeans to put me off. lol

Enjoy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ToxM said:

As long as they are as you describe, you should be fine. Jacques & Polo seem to be where they are a little more strict.

@ToxM you should be fine. Saw a chap dine 3 nights in the same white shirt and casual jeans. I sometimes take smart jeans to match a smart shirt/polo on Celebrity cruises and I think I would likely been smarter than most diners in the GDR.

If a warm cruise sitting Aft in the terrace can be very nice in smart shorts too.

Did see more jackets in the Specialities.

Just back home from Sirena (11/18-28/22) and I saw NO clear dress code "violations" from "country club casual" at any of the two specialty dining reservation evenings nor during the Captain's host party or the "repeater" party.

BUT I listened to a woman complain to one man wearing shorts at the comic's evening session, though I don't think he violated any rules in the Sirena Lounge for that event (let me know if the CCC dress code applies there).

Just got email from O listing the different activities and what to pack.  Men…a sports jacket? Women…cocktail dress?  Not packing either.  On past O cruises, there wasn’t much really dressy clothing. Since the world has become more casual, I expect it will be reflected onboard.

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

... Men…a sports jacket? Not packing either.  On past O cruises, there wasn’t much really dressy clothing. Since the world has become more casual, I expect it will be reflected onboard.

Yes, this is exactly what I found while on Sirena 11/22. Unlike on Riviera (12/21), I did NOT pack a tie, suit, or suit/sport jacket. For our two evenings in the specialty restaurants, seemed the majority didn't wear any either, but many did and we all looked decent. Never saw a tux or any truly serious American "formal wear". Though someone I met rocked his heritage wearing a rather formal kilt outfit to the "repeater" party. Surprisingly, sadly, someone gave him some grief!

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

BUT I listened to a woman complain to one man wearing shorts at the comic's evening session, though I don't think he violated any rules in the Sirena Lounge for that event (let me know if the CCC dress code applies there).

The woman was clueless. There's no prohibition against wearing shorts for a show. If I'm having dinner in the Terrace Cafe and wearing shorts I do not change before going to a show.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Just got email from O listing the different activities and what to pack.  Men…a sports jacket? Women…cocktail dress?  Not packing either.  On past O cruises, there wasn’t much really dressy clothing. Since the world has become more casual, I expect it will be reflected onboard.

I've never worn a sports jacket nor has my wife ever worn a cocktail dress on Oceania . 

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Just back home from Sirena (11/18-28/22) and I saw NO clear dress code "violations" from "country club casual" at any of the two specialty dining reservation evenings nor during the Captain's host party or the "repeater" party.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The woman was clueless. There's no prohibition against wearing shorts for a show. If I'm having dinner in the Terrace Cafe and wearing shorts I do not change before going to a show.

There is a certain segment of cruisers that feel that the MDR dress code should apply anywhere on the ship after 6 pm. This comes from historically being a rule on many ships and still is on a few cruise lines. These are the folks you see on the dress code threads trying to force their point of view on others regardless of what the dress code is. They're living in the past. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORV said:

There is a certain segment of cruisers that feel that the MDR dress code should apply anywhere on the ship after 6 pm. This comes from historically being a rule on many ships and still is on a few cruise lines.

I know very well...been there, done that...won't go on a cruise line with that rule ever again.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

These are the folks you see on the dress code threads trying to force their point of view on others regardless of what the dress code is. They're living in the past. 

If it weren't for posters like that the dress code threads would be over and done within a few minutes with two or three posts. Instead we get threads with hundreds of posts that unnecessarily run for weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If it weren't for posters like that the dress code threads would be over and done within a few minutes with two or three posts. Instead we get threads with hundreds of posts that unnecessarily run for weeks.

Says poster #145.  Just sayin'...

30 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're prognosticating. Poster #145 hasn't yet posted...😁 . What I'm writing is #144 . 😉

Some posts must have been hidden – Hosts still see them, and our numbering still includes them.  But even by your count that is nit-picking.  If I weren't a Host, I would have stopped reading this thread long ago – a feature of Cruise Critic that people seem to forget...

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, Redtravel said:

Define 'dressy'. If you refer to Oceania's "Country Club Casual" it still refers to nice dress overall.  Not sure what ships you travel on with O. We do the Riviera & there has always been a lot of nice dress shirts & nice slacks. Also you do see a lot of sport coats in the Specialties. We saw our host Jazzbeau & his lovely wife always dressed nicely. Not a suit but still dressed very nicely. Those of you who like to dress overly casual are by far in the minority, at least on the Riviera. I can't comment on the smaller ships as we've not traveled on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cannot say that I have noticed a difference between the bigger ships and the littler ships in terms of passenger attire.  There are some (as I referred to many posts ago) that we noticed, but in general we have not.  People usually are "country club casual" in our experience.

Remember I've said long ago (not necessarily here) that we met a couple on a first night and he asked about the dress code because he was in a suit and tie and asked.  We informed him that the suit and tie were NOT necessary.  We happened to see them the next night in a specialty restaurant and the suit and tie were gone.

No, he wasn't naked ...

Mura

• Like 1

On cruise now.  As expected,  many people have become very casual.  There are very few sports jackets.  There are lots of men wearing Hawaiian shirts. Some are nice. Women wear everything.  Lots of flip flops at dinner. Sadly, Oceania guests are dressing down. 

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On cruise now.  As expected,  many people have become very casual.  There are very few sports jackets.  There are lots of men wearing Hawaiian shirts. Some are nice. Women wear everything.  Lots of flip flops at dinner. Sadly, Oceania guests are dressing down. 

where is the cruise?