princess patter with no smart phone.

getting older slowly

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi All

Will be on the Grand in a week...  I presume    due to the medallion app    there is no Printed patter ??

Or this it still printed   or viewable on your TV ???

Many thanks  Don

You can order the Patter to be delivered daily. It's in the app, IIRC on the cabin TV or ask your steward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Trying to access the Patter on a cell phone is more trouble than it's worth.

Just carrying a heighted copy in your pocket is the easiest way. 

On the Medallion app you can see all activities for the entire cruise.  You can bookmark items of interest.  No more need for the hi-lighter.  

I do think the formatting of the activities on the app could be improved.  

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

On the Medallion app you can see all activities for the entire cruise.  You can bookmark items of interest.  No more need for the hi-lighter.  

Maybe so, but I still like the ease of having a paper copy in my pocket. 

It takes to long to page through Patters on my phone and I just care about the current day activities. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Trying to access the Patter on a cell phone is more trouble than it's worth.

Just carrying a heighted copy in your pocket is the easiest way. 

Not only the Patter - I found it way more difficult to maneuver the TV or the Medallion App to find anything.  I miss the old book that used to be in the cabin with all the ship info on it - and the small tri-fold card with the deck plans on it to carry in my pocket.  We have, but rarely use the phone, so it's not something we routinely carry with us everywhere we go.  Dinosaurs still roam the earth (and sea).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

We have, but rarely use the phone, so it's not something we routinely carry with us everywhere we go. 

I don't talk that much on the phone at home but it's handy on the ship for contacting your spouse,  (WhatsApp works great). 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

I don't talk that much on the phone at home but it's handy on the ship for contacting your spouse,  (WhatsApp works great). 

I did that once on the last cruise - and it told me she was right next to me in bed 🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2022 at 5:07 PM, Thrak said:

I dislike the Journey View as it means scrolling up and down as well as back and forth. I used the "old version" on our last cruise. I just entered royal.princess.com into my browser and got the old style listing of events. Much easier to navigate. This should work on any Princess ship. Just substitute the name or your ship for "royal".

I hate doing the Journey View "dance"...its like some strange tech version of the hokey pokey or an awful square dance...scroll all the way down & then two spaces right, all the way up & then two more to the right (or is it left) spin around & then give up & sit in your room & order chocolate (or head to the nearest bar depending on your preferences)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, ldubs said:

Side question:  Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these are printed on board?  

fortunately they are...when we were rerouted from Puerto Vallarta to San Diego last month, we got patters with the correct info after they juggled all the schedules to move sea days & ports around...a ton of work for all the planners 

On 10/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, DiRonT said:

On Sapphire in September, cabin steward left one on our bed every evening.

Ours too on Sapphire, but I also got one at the front desk every morning because I leave the cabin around 5:30am to get my workout in, latte and "first breakfast".

It is also on your TV and on scrollable giant screens around the ship.

My one complaint is the Patter is 1 sheet, front and back, not the old 4 page Patter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

fortunately they are...when we were rerouted from Puerto Vallarta to San Diego last month, we got patters with the correct info after they juggled all the schedules to move sea days & ports around...a ton of work for all the planners 

Yep, and absolutely needed for folks who don't have the app.   

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Ours too on Sapphire, but I also got one at the front desk every morning because I leave the cabin around 5:30am to get my workout in, latte and "first breakfast".

It is also on your TV and on scrollable giant screens around the ship.

My one complaint is the Patter is 1 sheet, front and back, not the old 4 page Patter.

"First Breakfast"

Hahahahah

14 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I hate doing the Journey View "dance"...its like some strange tech version of the hokey pokey or an awful square dance...scroll all the way down & then two spaces right, all the way up & then two more to the right (or is it left) spin around & then give up & sit in your room & order chocolate (or head to the nearest bar depending on your preferences)

That is why I resort to using the old method of entering shipname.princess.com into my browser to get the "old" listing that was in a more usable format. The only thing missing in the old version is that one used to be able to select items to make a personalized list of events. If one tries to do that now (in the old version) it doesn't make a list. Instead, it kicks you over to the obnoxious Journey View. Still, I find the old version vastly easier to use than Journey View with it's up and down, back and forth mess.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, ldubs said:

I NEVER try to do the "timeline" schedule in the app anymore it's just junk!

Don't forget that once you are on the ship and connected to the ship wifi you can browse to:

shipname.princess.com  Example:  discovery.princess.com  or grand.princess.com

You'll get an "old school" text-based display that will show you a very simplified way of seeing the daily schedule very similar to what you see in the patter.  Of course, as others have stated...it's pretty easy to just carry the Patter with you!  (I have Jeannie perform that duty!)  Isn't that what pocketbooks are for...?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I doubt if anyone uses that feature on the phone. I think they gave the job of developing it to someone who never had to use it on a ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:29 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

You can order the Patter to be delivered daily. It's in the app, IIRC on the cabin TV or ask your steward.

IDK what ships have guests request it, but practice has been on Regal and Island to simply deliver to one and all each night.  Note that the Patter contains very sketchy event info as they have reduce it from 4 pages to 2.  There is additional details about a performer, etc, in the MC App Journey View that we all love to hate.  Even there, I have seen text detail cutoff for excess length, so it isn't a great situation, but at least you find out more.

ETA:  When I use island.princess.com version, none of the descriptive text is cutoff.  Princess IT strikes again in the MC App.  And I 100% agree with all who know the old website that the Patter layout there is MUCH better to work with.  No hokey-pokey required.

ETA2:  You could say that the old version has one deficiency.  You cannot look ahead a day or two as you can with Journey View.

Edited by Steelers36

It's printable, but I find the app easier to view and use on a tablet, when I need it. The tv system also works for room service and viewing menus and making dining reservations, especially if the app isn't working. I find the large screens throughout the ship also can be valuable if you want to see what's going on and where. The most blessed thing about the printed patter now is that it's not full of ads, as the lines used to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Don't forget that once you are on the ship and connected to the ship wifi you can browse to:

shipname.princess.com  Example:  discovery.princess.com  or grand.princess.com

You'll get an "old school" text-based display that will show you a very simplified way of seeing the daily schedule very similar to what you see in the patter.  Of course, as others have stated...it's pretty easy to just carry the Patter with you!  (I have Jeannie perform that duty!)  Isn't that what pocketbooks are for...?

On 11/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, MissP22 said:

I doubt if anyone uses that feature on the phone. I think they gave the job of developing it to someone who never had to use it on a ship.

We just got back from an RCI cruise.  Their version is much easier to use.  More like the list we are used to on the printed version.