Sewage and cigars

fizook

Presently on Silver Wind. The entire ship smells of sewage from time to time and cigar smoking is now allowed at the pool deck and outside the Panorama Lounge.

If you enjoy these odors book a cruise now.

24 minutes ago, fizook said:

...cigar smoking is now allowed at the pool deck and outside the Panorama Lounge.

I am not certain that the "now" above is accurate. It implies that this is a recent policy.  I have encountered the unpleasant odor of cigar smoke at these locations on a number of past cruises.  The odor is powerful and, at least to me, offensive.  SS needs to control this conduct and rigorously limit cigar smoking to the indoor Connoisseur's lounge.

• Like 2

We were on the Wind earlier this month from Vancouver to San Diego.  Sewage smell present in cabins and corridors much of the time.  It was awful.  Multiple complaints from passengers obviously did not solve the problem.  We commented to butler, reception and in final review.  Crickets.

Just now, Luv2Cruise1016 said:

We were on the Wind earlier this month from Vancouver to San Diego.  Sewage smell present in cabins and corridors much of the time.  It was awful.  Multiple complaints from passengers obviously did not solve the problem.  We commented to butler, reception and in final review.  Crickets.

Otherwise a great cruise.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luv2Cruise1016 said:

Old ships,old plumbing 

Also some guests put things down the toilet that are not supposed to go there.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Luv2Cruise1016 said:

We were on the Wind earlier this month from Vancouver to San Diego.  Sewage smell present in cabins and corridors much of the time.  It was awful.  

That is why the boat is called the "Wind."

• Haha 10

The reality is no one, from the captain on down,  will confront the cigar smoker. I have watched every officer walk by as he smokes and I have not seen one person say a word to him. Maybe he's a major share holder.

The smoking rules are quite clear about where you can smoke cigars so this should be a non-issue.

The problem is no one gives a ship! (spelling intentional).

We saw the same indifference on the Silver Spirit the past spring.

This is probably our last Silversea cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sewage smell bad, very bad.  Majority of our 100+ days on the Wind and that has not been a issue or problem.  Cigar smoking on the Pool and Panorama decks has always been permitted. 

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fizook said:

Read the last line.

It

20221028_181855.jpg

Another fine performance from Silversea. The first line says explicitly that cigars are permitted in various outdoor locations. Only four or five lines later, a new stipulation is added.  I imagine that the HD or the CD simply added that final parenthesis on their own authority without even bothering to see that same paragraph expressly permitted cigar smoking outdoors.  More of the chaos that is, alas, the contemporary Silversea.

• Like 3

Maybe this is a new or changed policy.  We cruise with a couple and the husband is a cigar smoker.  They have always asked if, where, and when he can smoke his cigars.  He is aware and sensitive to other people not liking cigar or even any smoke and I don’t recall him ever smoking one on the pool deck because of that.  He has smoked his cigars outside the Panorama Lounge but again checking if it was permitted.   

• Like 1

The only reason we sail Silversea is because they have the finest Cigar Lounges at sea. Obviously the word Connessiuer in Connessiuers Corner escapes you.

To discuss cigars and toilet waste smell in the same sentence is just a sign of ignorance to one of the finer rewards in life.

To relax and converse with a myriad of interesting people, all sharing this one thing in common is delicious. 

You are entitled to your opinion for sure but don't seek to change the rules that have been in place for years to suit your prejudice. No one is forcing you to choose Silversea.

I should delete this so as not to cause a lot of nasty comebacks. But I won't.

Elaine 😎 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Maybe this is a new or changed policy.  We cruise with a couple and the husband is a cigar smoker.  They have always asked if, where, and when he can smoke his cigars.  He is aware and sensitive to other people not liking cigar or even any smoke and I don’t recall him ever smoking one on the pool deck because of that.  He has smoked his cigars outside the Panorama Lounge but again checking if it was permitted.   

As do we Randy. We have always been considerate of others. That's what makes it so nice in the Connessiuers Corner. No one there to have to worry about offending.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, boccenana said:

The only reason we sail Silversea is because they have the finest Cigar Lounges at sea. Obviously the word Connessiuer in Connessiuers Corner escapes you.

To discuss cigars and toilet waste smell in the same sentence is just a sign of ignorance to one of the finer rewards in life.

To relax and converse with a myriad of interesting people, all sharing this one thing in common is delicious. 

You are entitled to your opinion for sure but don't seek to change the rules that have been in place for years to suit your prejudice. No one is forcing you to choose Silversea.

I should delete this so as not to cause a lot of nasty comebacks. But I won't.

Elaine 😎 

Please don't delete!

I don't care about *outdoor* smoking one way or the other (cigars or otherwise) when I pick a cruise, though I know I am in a minority. 

However, there is ambiguity in the information pointed out in post #12, (presumably something in the daily program) and IMHO *there should be no ambiguity* about this issue that is important to both the cigar smokers and many of the non-smokers.

It is especially important not to have ambiguity when people book their cruise.  Booking information should be consistent with practice on board.  

On the SB forum, there was recently an uproar about smoking being allowed on the new expedition ship Seabourn Venture -- it had clearly been written, when people booked their cruise, that  smoking was not going to be allowed, and yet people were smoking near the hot tub and complaining pax were told the policy was different on that particular cruise.  

I am baffled as to why it is so hard for SS and SB and other lines to be clear and have consistency in written information. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Please don't delete!

I don't care about *outdoor* smoking one way or the other (cigars or otherwise) when I pick a cruise, though I know I am in a minority. 

However, there is ambiguity in the information pointed out in post #12, (presumably something in the daily program) and IMHO *there should be no ambiguity* about this issue that is important to both the cigar smokers and many of the non-smokers.

It is especially important not to have ambiguity when people book their cruise.  Booking information should be consistent with practice on board.  

On the SB forum, there was recently an uproar about smoking being allowed on the new expedition ship Seabourn Venture -- it had clearly been written, when people booked their cruise, that  smoking was not going to be allowed, and yet people were smoking near the hot tub and complaining pax were told the policy was different on that particular cruise.  

I am baffled as to why it is so hard for SS and SB and other lines to be clear and have consistency in written information. 

You are absolutely right. We will go with Silversea as long as they have their Connoisseurs Corner as advertised. 

• Like 1

I never claimed to be a connoisseur...just the opposite actually.

The smell of sewage and cigar smoke are both noxious and offensive. 

At least sewage smell does not threaten your health as second hand cigar smoke does.

• Like 3