Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Alotau, Papua New Guinea 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Rarotonga Island, Cook Islands NZ eta 10/31

1029World.thumb.png.cd1a2e58727b4a2ed37875e7c0c19484.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool morning here, but supposed to warm up to a sunny 13°C (55°F) this afternoon.

A nice collection of days.  Lots of cat lovers here.  I don't want to be a hermit, although the cookies are good.  So sorry for anyone with psoriasis.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

We were in Colon many years ago on a partial Panama Canal cruise, I don't know where the pictures are.  Maybe someday we'll go back.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  I pray some day we will have a real cure for psoriasis.  Many here will celebrate cat day and I expect to see a number of photos.  I also think many of us became de facto hermits in the last 2 years and will celebrate the internet for keeping us somewhat connected.  I visited Colon just once, on the 2018 Crystal World Cruise but will return on the Eurodam November 16.  I love the Plato quote but will pass on the Taco.  My alternative is Tropical Fruit Cup, Bleechers Macaroni and Cheese, and Blueberry-Mango Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 29, 2017:

dishes29.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis
Seasick Sailor runarounf from VA
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
summer slope yellow fever shot dilema
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery rehab
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 DH catheterization 11/1
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rich at 5-star
Eurodam (my next BHB)

edam1029.thumb.JPG.e0954c88079423a034f3b

and Nieuw Statendam (my most recent BHB) in Everglades

ns1020.JPG.3d1a6055ce61ffdfa53e33a414721
Sandy’s neighbor Linda headed home
7 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
7 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
6 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
6 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Welcome home cruisin single
Kazu , siister, and BILsafely in Barcelona
Linda back home
Aliaschief on Scenic Sapphire to 10/30
Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30) .  Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  Today will be cloudy in preparation for the rain coming Sunday and Monday.  We may or may not go out today to run errands.  We're open to changing plans when we just want to be a hermit.  Get it?  Hermit Day?  Anyway cheers to all the cats out there especially the Daily cats!  It's good to shine a light on the condition of psoriasis.  Not an easy skin problem to live with.  I'll be interested to read about the menu suggestion today.  Our port of the day is Colon, Panama which was also the port on Dec. 26, 2021.  I have not stopped at Colon on any of our cruises to the area.  I checked on Rich's post that day and see Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser was there before so I will wait a bit to see if she can post her own photos, or if she needs me to do that for her.  Welcome back home, Lenda!  I hope Steve is all settled in and had a good night's sleep last night.  Three times a day PT will make him sleep well at night I would think.  Let me know about your photos.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  It must keep you busy with everyone's activities and problems.   Rich @richwmncongratulations on making 5 stars!  Jacqui @kazuI hope you are safely arrived in Spain along with your DS and DBIL.  Terry @smitty34877prayers for your DH before his angiogram coming up in a few days.  I hope Tana is feeling okay and you have help to stay with her while you and your DH are occupied with his own health issues.  @cruzn singleprayers for your stepson as he battles his cancers.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list.  Enjoy your special events!

And have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I've done a number of Eastbound QM2 crossings paired with return transatlantics on other ships.  This time the other ship was the Wind Star and October 29, 2014 was QM2's first sea day out of New York:

dawn1029.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone from a cool, crisp New England.  Will be finishing emptying out the planters on our roof deck today getting things all buttoned up for you know what comes next ❄️!  Hats off to hermits and cats but not to psoriasis, a serious affliction to some.  I like today’s quote a lot, you never know what someone else is going through.  The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty, as does Roy’s alternate; do I sound hungry to you?  I have not been to today’s port, hopefully there will be some nice photos of it.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to all celebrating happy events and to those of us traveling like @kazu!

• Like 25

Good afternoon.

It is raining and 52°F here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for always posting lists updated daily.

A great selection of days today.

True quote and always a good idea to be nice.

Food sounds nice today.

Wishing everyone has a lovely weekend.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and fun cruising for those due to or currently cruising.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221029_120748.jpg

Screenshot_20221029_120819.jpg

Screenshot_20221029_120840.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good Saturday morning.  Prayers, hugs, and congratulations to all our family.  Safe travels for all.

Harbor Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
2 parts Iced Tea
1/2 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Honey Syrup
1 part Sherry
1/4 part Bug Hill Farm Gooseberry Shrub

Instructions
Combine all ingredients, with some ice, in a pitcher. Stir and serve. Optionally, garnish with lemon and fresh mint.

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 7.43.39 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Still a bit cloudy here this morning, though the sun appears to be trying to break through to the East. We had quite a bit of much needed rain yesterday. It seems strange to say that, since some of our roads still have water on them, but we did. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!  Hope the infection around your mouth clears up quickly. @kazu Jacqui, happy to read that you, DS & DBIL all arrived safely in Barcelona. Hope you are now able to relax and enjoy your journey. 

If weather permits, I have some gardening in my future. And I also plan to clean some upholstery today. Then this evening celebrating a friend’s birthday at another friend’s house. 

141983FC-041A-4589-94BD-8C3BB31F8070.jpeg.42caa6842b4a982d902465a979dc4357.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domdechant Werner 2019 Kirchenstück GG Trocken Riesling

Very elusive, though you might be able to find it in Spain, Dailyites! Glad you made it safely, Jacqui!

I found one online distributor in Germany that ships to North America. The wine’s price is a reasonable $18.49, but the shipping would probably cost at least as much.

95 Wine Enthusiast

While full bodied and delightfully creamy in texture, there's a freshness and delicacy in this blossomy, perfumed white. Lime and white peach flavors are scintillating and pure, accented by strikes of crushed stone and a long, salty finish. It feels a bit subtle in youth but should gain depth as it improves. Best to hold through 2023 at least, but it should improve well past 2030.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Saturday morning.  Prayers, hugs, and congratulations to all our family.  Safe travels for all.

Harbor Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
2 parts Iced Tea
1/2 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Honey Syrup
1 part Sherry
1/4 part Bug Hill Farm Gooseberry Shrub

Instructions
Combine all ingredients, with some ice, in a pitcher. Stir and serve. Optionally, garnish with lemon and fresh mint.

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 7.43.39 AM.png

Dixie any reaction to the YF shots?

• Like 11

Today is World Stroke Day.  The purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the signs of a stroke and the need to seek treatment immediately.

A3951D82-5C4E-4675-B912-B5B16CBD5922.thumb.jpeg.bab2b069242f48329ef7af29f1f56e5d.jpeg

Remember the acronym FAST-face, arm, speech = treatment.

Wishing the best health possible to all who read the Daily.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone. It was only forty earlier and more layers are necessary for dog walking in the morning. We of course will celebrate  cat day and do understand why some folks prefer to be hermits. I like the quote and feel for those with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. We have not been to the port.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, thank you so much for your concern. Tana is having a difficult time and we have had a hard time finding appropriate assistance lately. She needs help to transfer and someone with her when she tries to walk with the walker and oxygen . We are hoping that a good friend of hers will be able to stay on Tuesday. She is a nurse as well so will manage things in the right way. 
@Seasick Sailor, Joy, I was sorry to hear of your experience with the VA clinic. I hope things are better when you go for your next appointment. My relatives in Massachusetts have had better experiences with their VA facilities than my New York relatives. I guess it depends so much on what is available locally and the volume of patients.

Thanks so much to everyone who sent their support  and  prayers for us yesterday. It means a lot and helps so much.I am very grateful.

Terry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Today is World Stroke Day.  The purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the signs of a stroke and the need to seek treatment immediately.

A3951D82-5C4E-4675-B912-B5B16CBD5922.thumb.jpeg.bab2b069242f48329ef7af29f1f56e5d.jpeg

Remember the acronym FAST-face, arm, speech = treatment.

Wishing the best health possible to all who read the Daily.

Thank you Tina. Helpful acronym. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

A quick good morning from central Texas.  It is 54F, but since the sun is not up yet, I don't know about the rest of the weather.

Three interesting days, and I agree with @rafinmd Roy that we have all become hermits to some extent since early 2020.  Cats seem to have their day in many various ways through out the year, and I suspect they feel they deserve to be honored everyday.  I hope a cure for psoriasis can be found.

The quote by Plato is very true.  We never really know what trials others are facing.

For now, I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, many thanks for posting my pictures this past week.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the medicine clears up the infection quickly.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana's friend can stay with her Tuesday, and I'm sorry she is struggling so much.  Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome for your DH on Thursday.

We have been to Colon once in 2009 when Statendam had a change of itinerary and spent the day on the west coast of Panama.  We took the train over to Colon and the bus back across the isthmus.  We only saw Colon from the bus and that was more than enough.  I hope the Panamanian government is spending money to improve that side of Panama.

IMG_5170.thumb.JPG.722699cd7d324e4b35ec8720ddcb3197.JPG

IMG_5171.thumb.JPG.1666e2462819fb2859d3136ab3b6183b.JPG

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.e23abcff9fa484a9707eee34ca1aafc8.JPG

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.3eef4ffcec73f18bcb325395ecd4b2a9.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Dixie any reaction to the YF shots?

Absolutely none. Did take Tylenol before the shot. I’m amazed at no problems. And I did find out Passport Health will give you an exemption stamp in the yellow book if you are over 75. But we got the shot. 

• Like 23

1 minute ago, summer slope said:

Absolutely none. Did take Tylenol before the shot. I’m amazed at no problems. And I did find out Passport Health will give you an exemption stamp in the yellow book if you are over 75. But we got the shot. 

That is great news.
Well after the craziness you & DH had to deal with leading up to the shot, you deserved a break!

• Like 21

1 minute ago, summer slope said:

Glad you got the shots and did not have a reaction.  I don't remember a reaction either time we got the YF shots.  They did have us stay for 15 minutes to see if there was an immediate, acute reaction.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and all who contribute to this wonderful thread. People down here have been celebrating Halloween for almost a full month with parades, balls and parties every weekend since the first. Today is a witch ride where over 500 people dress as witches, ride bikes in mass through three miles of town. Since it starts at a bar and ends at a bar there are many accidents. My son will be one of the safety patrol for the ride to stop traffic, pick up injured and otherwise try to help manage 500 bike riders through the streets of downtown. He thinks I need to come watch the madness. I can't say I will be sad to see Halloween finally come and be over.

I hope all Dailyites have a great weekend. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good quote from from Plato, a pretty smart Greek who I might be related to LOL.

I like Taco's so I'm sure I would like the meal.

We have been to Colon and took the train ride along the Canal all the way down to Panama City. We've also have sailed through the Canal a couple of times.

Just back from breakfast at Bob Evan's, I needed a biscuit and sausage gravy fix along with some scrambled eggs, DW had her usual Rise and Shine breakfast.

Phillies with a nice come from behind victory in game 1 of the World Series.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH and I were just talking last night about how hermit-like we were in 2020, but it eased up slightly as time went by.  We were lucky to have each other to lean on during that time.  Well of course every day in our house is Cat Day; Sochi wouldn't have it any other way.  A colleague of mine suffered terribly from psoriasis, but found temporary relief by taking "tar baths" at a sports rehab facility. 

A busy day today socially, as we're going for breakfast with the family (DH's son, daughter, son-in-law and sister), sort of a family gathering before we head off on our trip on Monday.   We have to stop on the way home to get some extra cat food (her highness can't go hungry, certainly!), and then this evening, friends of ours are having us over for a small Bon Voyage party with only 3 other couples. 

I'm happy to hear that @kazuand her family have arrived safely(with luggage) in Barcelona; here's hoping we have the same experience!  I keep checking my emails to be sure there haven't been any more schedule changes - no stress there!  LOL  

@Quartzsite CruiserI'm glad you're home; I'll bet it feels good!

I think I'd like today's menu suggestion, but we'll be enjoying appies, conversation and laughter with our friends this evening.  And wine.

DH prepared a box for our house/cat sitter that will hold the mail so it doesn't end up all over the kitchen table, but Sochi had other ideas for it . . .

1410218327_MailBox.jpg.8548cd31b77539c921a2e9a7f1c2eda2.jpg

The yellow cord on the left is the extension cord for the snow-blower; it lives in the house during the winter so it isn't frozen stiff when we need it.  Ah, life on the "frozen tundra!"

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers to all who have celebrations going on!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good Saturday Morning!  I woke up too early to stay up, and when I got up again, the sky was blue and clear and what clouds there were , were taking on a pink glow.  Red sky in the morning sailors take warning, and now the sky is gray and cloudy.

@lindalerAt least the witches are not riding their brooms.  Of course they could sweep the streets clean, combine the ride with a city wide clean up.  From what I have seen of Mobile though, it is pretty clean. A very pretty city.

@ger_77Bon Voyage, I hope you have a great time, and I am glad to see that the "mail" box is being used correctly.

One of the campaigns I have been working on is Louisville Orchestra. (that's the one that is ending today).  The conductor of the orchestra is interested in new music, so he has 3 new composers on staff, artists in residence.  I called a patron several weeks ago and asked him what he was interested in as far as music, and he said new composers.  I told him about the program that Teddy Abrahms had started, well it turns out he is a composer, and he contacted the conductor, had an interview, and was getting hired!    His second interview was this past week.  Since I wont be able to call him back on the 9th, I got my boss to change my call back to today so that I can wish my new friend good luck in his new life!  I hope the second interview went well.

national-cat-day.jpg

3af4d517241430f054280d08f5ea82cc.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2