Prescription medications and Singapore

1cruiselvr

For those that have travelled to and around Singapore and needed to bring their prescription medications with them, did they run into any custom issues?  We are considering a Singapore cruise with a few days in the city beforehand and we both take several medications that are considered a controlled substance. I read we need advanced approval from Singapore to bring the meds into their country. I’m wondering if this is true. What is your experience on this subject?

Edited by 1cruiselvr

• 1cruiselvr changed the title to Prescription medications and Singapore
12 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

For those that have travelled to and around Singapore and needed to bring their prescription medications with them, did they run into any custom issues?  We are considering a Singapore cruise with a few days in the city beforehand and we both take several medications that are considered a controlled substance. I read we need advanced approval from Singapore to bring the meds into their country. I’m wondering if this is true. What is your experience on this subject?

As a long time poster on CC I would suggest that this is the kind of question where you should carefully read the rules of the country (Singapore).  Some Asian countries such as Singapore and Japan have very strict rules (which they enforce) when it comes to bringing in drugs (prescription and some over-the-counter).  Not only should you read the current government requirements, but you should check them, again, within a few weeks of your trip.  Here is the link:

HSA | Bringing personal medications into Singapore

By the way, Singapore is a very interesting city to visit for a few days.  Lots of good hotels and eating venues and their zoo (especially at night) is world class.

Hank

• Like 1

I would be sure to follow what is stated on the web site.  I would also make sure that I have documentation on the prescriptions in case any questions do get asked.

https://www.hsa.gov.sg/personal-medication/overview#:~:text=You may need to apply,be prosecuted under Singapore law.

If they say you need approval in advance for a specific drug believe them.  You might not get caught, but if you do they take it seriously.

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I would be sure to follow what is stated on the web site.  I would also make sure that I have documentation on the prescriptions in case any questions do get asked.

https://www.hsa.gov.sg/personal-medication/overview#:~:text=You may need to apply,be prosecuted under Singapore law.

If they say you need approval in advance for a specific drug believe them.  You might not get caught, but if you do they take it seriously.

We are not trying to hide our daily medications, we just want to know how to legally bring them into Singapore. Thank you. 

35 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

We are not trying to hide our daily medications, we just want to know how to legally bring them into Singapore. Thank you. 

It is odd that 3/3 replies so far felt it necessary to imply that you might be trying to do something underhanded. 🤔

Thank you for raising this topic.  I was not aware of Singapore's blanket ban on chewing gum (I just had heard a few years ago that you could get caned for throwing gum on the sidewalk), or the need to fill out approval forms for your personal meds.  

I read the forms, and did a little more online research about this topic, which is in effect a personal medication visa (e.g., original bottles and a doctor letter is not enough).

Most people have "no problem" getting their applications approved, but others encountered things like a repeatedly broken website close to their departure date, and/or snippy agents, as one traveler posted:

"I need to bring a controlled substance to singapore to sleep. I have tried to apply for prior approval with HSA in singapore. They have not replied and my trip is coming up next week. I called HSA and they were basically no help, rude, and said I need to wait. "

I have enough to worry about with dynamic Covid rules, and don't need this extra bureaucratic headache to deal with .  I have removed Singapore from my list of potential travel destinations. There are many other places with great eating venues, nice hotels, and zoos.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

By the way, Singapore is a very interesting city to visit for a few days.  Lots of good hotels and eating venues and their zoo (especially at night) is world class.

OP, I followed the regulations that were in effect during my visits to Singapore.  My last visit involved a 3 day stay in the city before flying home.  Never had any challenge or questions about my prescription medications.  As far as I know, the officials knew nothing about my medications.

Lots to enjoy in Singapore; different Hop on/Off routes, the Botanic and Orchid Garden, the Night Zoo, and the dining venues.  It is an easy city to navigate for a tourist.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catlover54 said:

is odd that 3/3 replies so far felt it necessary to imply that you might be trying to do something underhanded

We were reacting to her statement that she wondered if it was really necessary to file the paperwork.  Avoiding their paperwork could cause her serious issues. Stern warnings now are better than dealing with zero tolerance later 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We were reacting to her statement that she wondered if it was really necessary to file the paperwork.  Avoiding their paperwork could cause her serious issues. Stern warnings now are better than dealing with zero tolerance later 

The previous poster indicated that sometimes they don’t respond to your paperwork application. Then what? Lots of money spent on this trip and no medication prior approval?  This is my concern. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

OP, I followed the regulations that were in effect during my visits to Singapore.  My last visit involved a 3 day stay in the city before flying home.  Never had any challenge or questions about my prescription medications.  As far as I know, the officials knew nothing about my medications.

Lots to enjoy in Singapore; different Hop on/Off routes, the Botanic and Orchid Garden, the Night Zoo, and the dining venues.  It is an easy city to navigate for a tourist.  

Did you fill out the medication approval from prior to your trip? Not sure what you mean by officials never knew of your medication? You did have to go through customs and they didn’t care about prescription bottles?

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Just now, 1cruiselvr said:

The previous poster indicated that sometimes they don’t respond to your paperwork application. Then what? Lots of money spent on this trip and no medication prior approval?  This is my concern. 

Yes, that would concern me also. Have you first discussed this issue with your doctor?  Are there medications that could be substituted for the travel period?

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes, that would concern me also. Have you first discussed this issue with your doctor?  Are there medications that could be substituted for the travel period?

No substitutions. These are necessary medications. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Nice thought, but these days, anyone who is getting prescription meds that are controlled substances, has likely already repeatedly tried other agents, since there are many barriers (at least in the U.S.) to receiving them in the first place

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Did you fill out the medication approval from prior to your trip? Not sure what you mean by officials never knew of your medication? You did have to go through customs and they didn’t care about prescription bottles?

When I visited in Singapore, I recall no medication approval form.  Certainly went through Customs/Immigration when I disembarked the Statendam for a stay in Singapore.  There were no issues.  No inspections.  None.  I left the terminal and got a taxi to my hotel.  Maybe things have changed since I was last there. 

Another out of the box solution is apply early, even now, as a trial run.  There does not appear to be a fee and I could not find a time limit on the documentation.  Best of luck on this but I stand by my initial reaction to strictly abide by the rules especially now. 

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Not implying you are doing anything underhanded.  Just some people take the view that they have never been checked when going into various countries and most likely will not going into Singapore so they think why bother.  Post #14 is a good example.   Just making the statement that it is worthwhile to take the time and follow exactly what they require.

Some things that are sold over the counter here in the US can cause problems in some Asian countries. such as Sudafed in Japan.  In Singapore, even what are some over the counter pain meds in the US are controlled in Singapore.  

Edited by ldtr

My partner and I went to Singapore in 2017.  He uses a controlled substance given to him by the VA.  You can print the form off the website for the health department in Singapore.  I filled in as much as I could and then wrote a cover letter explaining why he was taking the drug.  He took it to his doctor at the VA who filled in the missing info, put my letter on his letterhead and signed everything.  I scanned and emailed it to Singapore and had approval in 48 hours.  It was a pain getting it done but easy to get the approval.  We got to customs and nobody asked to see anything but I didn’t want to take that chance.

Helen

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Most of the time they do not,  but would you really like to be the example the one time that they did.  

They do not actively ask, but if it happens to be found during a random security check at the airport, or if there is some other incident that brings it to someone's attention.  This the results could be unpleasant.

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I visited in Singapore, I recall no medication approval form.  Certainly went through Customs/Immigration when I disembarked the Statendam for a stay in Singapore.  There were no issues.  No inspections.  None.  I left the terminal and got a taxi to my hotel.  Maybe things have changed since I was last there. 

That’s immigration at a cruise disembarkation. I don’t think they are as lenient at the airport, arriving as a tourist first. 

15 minutes ago, HELENPSL said:

My partner and I went to Singapore in 2017.  He uses a controlled substance given to him by the VA.  You can print the form off the website for the health department in Singapore.  I filled in as much as I could and then wrote a cover letter explaining why he was taking the drug.  He took it to his doctor at the VA who filled in the missing info, put my letter on his letterhead and signed everything.  I scanned and emailed it to Singapore and had approval in 48 hours.  It was a pain getting it done but easy to get the approval.  We got to customs and nobody asked to see anything but I didn’t want to take that chance.

Helen

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you know where to email it to in Singapore?

Interesting in that when I took round trip cruise out of Singapore, I never gave a thought to the two Rx's that I took. They where in my carry on, in the containers from the pharmacy. Was never asked by anyone in Singapore about them.

On the other hand, I was well aware and we were remaindered on the plane as we landed, that chewing gum in public or littering of any kind can/will land you in jail! Thief or illecit drugs can result in severe punishments unlike the slap on the wrist that might happen in the U.S.. Singapore is phenomenal and the locals like we tourist but, you better be on your best behavior, which you should be no matter where you visit.

• Like 2