Sailing In and Out of Miami--What Time is the Soonest Flight I Could Take Home?

Katems75

Hello, I've only ever been on one cruise before, in and out of Orlando which was much easier than Miami as far as flight times.  The flights are terrible from where I'm coming from, and have resigned myself to one possibility to get there, but for the flights home they are just awful.  What is the soonest I could make a flight?  Is a 7:25 flight out of Miami airport after getting off Harmony just out of the question?  If so what's the earliest flight you think I could make?

Thank you!

Seriously?   There's no way you can make a 7:25 flight out of Miami.

Even if you got off the ship first and had a rush cab or Uber to MIA, going thru security then out

to the concourses, I wouldn't bet on any flight before 10 or 11am.  It's about a 25 minute drive from the port to MIA but it's a really busy airport and nothing goes as planned.  

No way. We just sailed via Miami and even though they told us to be in line at 7am, we waited due to 'delays' for about half an hour. We finally got outside about 7:40am and we were in the luggage carry off line. Line was very, very long behind us.

To answer your question, maybe 10am at the very earliest. You would have to carry off your own luggage and grab a cab (not a shuttle, not an Uber) as soon as you get outside. 

Edited by marci22

53 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Hello, I've only ever been on one cruise before, in and out of Orlando which was much easier than Miami as far as flight times.  The flights are terrible from where I'm coming from, and have resigned myself to one possibility to get there, but for the flights home they are just awful.  What is the soonest I could make a flight?  Is a 7:25 flight out of Miami airport after getting off Harmony just out of the question?  If so what's the earliest flight you think I could make?

Thank you!

You probably won't have even gotten through customs and walked out of the terminal yet.  To make a 7:25 flight you'd need to be off the ship before 6 am and that won't happen.  Taxi, airport security, check a bag maybe, etc.; no one even with no bag and with TSA pre check to get through security faster would be likely to make that time.  

Just did Miami.  We walked off with our luggage and we're amongst the first off the ship.  I got to the airport about 8:15.  7:25 flight is impossible.  Don't you need to check in at the terminal an hour before the flight leaves?  BTW, we had a 10:00 flight and I was nervous.  Airline changed our departure time.

• Like 2

Yikes! You've got enough replies at this point to know that's a no-go.

I have the same issue with flights out of Miami. Southwest Airlines only has 1 direct flight back to my home, and it's not until 6pm, so that's the one I'm taking.

If it were an option, anything around noon is comfortable for me. I get off the ship as late as possible, don't stress about how quickly my Uber shows up, don't stress about lines to drop off baggage, or lines in the terminal (though I have pre-check so that's never been a problem), and if I want to grab something to eat or drink before my flight leaves, I still have time.

Noon-1pm is always my sweet spot, but I'd rather take the 6pm direct flight than get on an earlier flight with a layover that has me on airplanes for 7 hours. 

Okay, thank you everyone.  This is only my second cruise and I had heard the port was near the airport and so I was hoping there was a chance.

Since I will be stuck there until at LEAST 3pm as that's the next flight time possible, is there anything I can do with my luggage so I'm able to at least walk around and explore before heading to the airport?  I'm just not sure what we will DO with all those hours (and luggage).  A cheaper flight leaves at 6pm, but again...what on earth do we do between say 8am and 2pm?

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

Okay, thank you everyone.  This is only my second cruise and I had heard the port was near the airport and so I was hoping there was a chance.

Since I will be stuck there until at LEAST 3pm as that's the next flight time possible, is there anything I can do with my luggage so I'm able to at least walk around and explore before heading to the airport?  I'm just not sure what we will DO with all those hours (and luggage).  A cheaper flight leaves at 6pm, but again...what on earth do we do between say 8am and 2pm?

Enjoy a nice breakfast onboard.

Take your time and plan to be one of the last ones to get off the ship.

Possibly close to 10am by this time.

Takes about 30 minutes to the airport.

Add about 1 1/2 hours for check-in and the TSA security...almost noon.

If you're hungry, have lunch. (I keep my beautiful wife away from shopping.)

Another option is to go to one of the airport lounges.

Should be close to boarding time.

* Or, after disembarking, you can take the free trolley. The trolley goes around the cruise terminal, then around downtown Miami and back. Just have to carry your luggage onto the trolley.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Enjoy a nice breakfast onboard.

Take your time and plan to be one of the last ones to get off the ship.

Possibly close to 10am by this time.

Takes about 30 minutes to the airport.

Add about 1 1/2 hours for check-in and the TSA security...almost noon.

If you're hungry, have lunch. (I keep my beautiful wife away from shopping.)

Another option is to go to one of the airport lounges.

Should be close to boarding time.

* Or, after disembarking, you can take the free trolley. The trolley goes around the cruise terminal, then around downtown Miami and back. Just have to carry your luggage onto the trolley.

Thank you so much!  

What is the latest we would be allowed to leave the ship?  

What kind of free breakfast is allowed on the last morning?  Is it possible to have a 'nice' breakfast onboard?

Would we have our luggage with us, or do we put it out the night before?  If the night before, how do we see it again?  The one time I cruised before I kept it with me and left as soon as I could to make it to Disney World ASAP (obviously was at Port Canaveral for that one).

If we keep the luggage with us, do we drag it into the ship restaurant, or can we leave it in our room?

So there is a free trolley between the ship and the airport, both ways?

2 hours ago, Katems75 said:

We had a choice between 10:30 and then 5 and 8... We chose the 10:30 and then the schedule went to 10am so we couldn't make it with checking a bag and not moving very fast. Now we are on a 5pm.

We are taking an everglades tour from RCL since we've never done that in all our time in Miami, and I'm excited. They'll take the bags and then drop us off at the airport. We might be at the airport longer than I'd like (I'm guessing they'll drop us off around 1... and I like 30 minutes at the gate only) but at least we won't be there all day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

Thank you so much!  

What is the latest we would be allowed to leave the ship?  

What kind of free breakfast is allowed on the last morning?  Is it possible to have a 'nice' breakfast onboard?

Would we have our luggage with us, or do we put it out the night before?  If the night before, how do we see it again?  The one time I cruised before I kept it with me and left as soon as I could to make it to Disney World ASAP (obviously was at Port Canaveral for that one).

If we keep the luggage with us, do we drag it into the ship restaurant, or can we leave it in our room?

So there is a free trolley between the ship and the airport, both ways?

* Latest, typically around or before 10am. 

* You can have a nice breakfast in the Main Dining Room. Also in the Windjammer, but it can get really busy there. There are other options depending on your ship.

* Put out your luggage the night before and then pick it up down at the cruise terminal. Would probably be easier to find as you'll be one of the last ones off the ship.

* If you choose to keep your luggage and not take it out the night before, you can leave it in your cabin. Be courteous and let your cabin steward know that you are coming back to get your luggage after breakfast. Cabin stewards are extremely busy on "turn-around day"...they start cleaning the cabins as soon as they can for the new passengers.

* The free trolley only goes around the cruise terminal, then around dowtown Miami, then back to the cruise terminal. It does not go to the airport.

Royal Caribbean typically use Terminal A (for the big ships), and Terminal G (for the smaller ships)...happy sailing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, celoplyr said:

We had a choice between 10:30 and then 5 and 8... We chose the 10:30 and then the schedule went to 10am so we couldn't make it with checking a bag and not moving very fast. Now we are on a 5pm.

We are taking an everglades tour from RCL since we've never done that in all our time in Miami, and I'm excited. They'll take the bags and then drop us off at the airport. We might be at the airport longer than I'd like (I'm guessing they'll drop us off around 1... and I like 30 minutes at the gate only) but at least we won't be there all day.

Please tell me more about the Everglades tour!  Where would I find this?  I am on Harmony in May if that makes any difference.  So the tour stores your bags and then after the tour they take you and the bags to the airport?

We did the Everglades air boat tour available to book on board probably before but all we saw was one alligator and one bird ( cannot remember what bird ) thought it was a waste of money.

Our captain seemed more interested in telling us not to forget her gratuity.

From memory we got dropped off at the airport about 13.00.

I’d say to book a midday airport departure to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Check to see if the cruise line offers a service called luggage valet.  It’s a service you pay for that your luggage is picked up at your cabin the night before departure —your luggage will be transported to the airport & on to flight.  You will then pick up your luggage at your home airport.  Your luggage tags & boarding pass is also printed up for you.  What is great is when you arrived at your departing airport you can go right thru security (even though your flight is hours away) or if you have enough time from when you leave ship, you might take a quick tour 

Just remember you might want to keep a small carryon in your cabin with fresh clothes & your meds etc

We haven’t cruise since before Covid— and not every airline allows this— but it is totally worth it (FYI I googled it & it is still offered)

When we did this a few years ago — you book this ON the cruise ship

11 minutes ago, Momperson3 said:

Check to see if the cruise line offers a service called luggage valet.  It’s a service you pay for that your luggage is picked up at your cabin the night before departure —your luggage will be transported to the airport & on to flight.  You will then pick up your luggage at your home airport.  Your luggage tags & boarding pass is also printed up for you.  What is great is when you arrived at your departing airport you can go right thru security (even though your flight is hours away) or if you have enough time from when you leave ship, you might take a quick tour 

Just remember you might want to keep a small carryon in your cabin with fresh clothes & your meds etc

We haven’t cruise since before Covid— and not every airline allows this— but it is totally worth it (FYI I googled it & it is still offered)

I think Seattle is the only airport that does this 

16 minutes ago, Momperson3 said:

Luggage Valet through Royal hasn't returned post-Covid.  The only place there is that service is out of Seattle and that is because it is offered by the Port of Seattle to all cruise lines.  Totally different that the luggage valet offered by Royal before the shutdown.  

12 hours ago, Katems75 said:

The one thing you can do to see about an earlier flight than 3pm, is look at FLL flights.  SAS Transportation runs a shuttle from the Miami Port to the FLL airport for $15 per person.  I took it last April.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pcur said:

The one thing you can do to see about an earlier flight than 3pm, is look at FLL flights.  SAS Transportation runs a shuttle from the Miami Port to the FLL airport for $15 per person.  I took it last April.

I was also going to suggest Ft Lauderdale as an option. On our cruises from Miami we've always found cheaper and more convenient flights in and out of FLL. We just purchased non-stop tickets for our March cruise from Miami. We've also found less expensive hotels there, and the drive to Miami is relatively short. 

8 hours ago, pcur said:

2 hours ago, NoShoes2 said:

I was also going to suggest Ft Lauderdale as an option. On our cruises from Miami we've always found cheaper and more convenient flights in and out of FLL. We just purchased non-stop tickets for our March cruise from Miami. We've also found less expensive hotels there, and the drive to Miami is relatively short. 

I just checked FLL for flight options and unfortunately, there's only 1 non-early morning non-stop to my destination from there as well, but thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind for next time just in case. The OP might have better luck depending on where they're flying to. 

Either way for me, it's too late to change my flight. I bought my tickets in April for the lowest price they've been. A 1-way ticket to DEN on southwest is now $689, and also, the nonstop flight that I'm on is completely sold out from both MIA and FLL. I'm flying Thanksgiving week, so no surprise that it's expensive and sold out. 

Its good to know that FLL can be an option for next time though, thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

@Katems75I was thinking about you and your flights--and got me to thinking--you did book your flight to get to Miami to come in a day before the cruise, correct?  You don't want to risk flying in the day of, that's how a lot of people miss their cruise and lose their $$.   It seems like you're flying from a place where there are not a lot of options, so wanted to make sure you knew to come in at least one day before.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Please tell me more about the Everglades tour!  Where would I find this?  I am on Harmony in May if that makes any difference.  So the tour stores your bags and then after the tour they take you and the bags to the airport?

I found it as a shore excursion of the last day. They usually have a couple for this exact instance.