Debarkation Carry Off Luggage - thoughts?

cellfree

58 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

What ship is this? I believe that every cruise I have been on, the steward left the tags in our Cabin. 

i cruised on the Magic twice this year and on both cruises you had to pick up the luggage tags by the sushi place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i cruised on the Magic twice this year and on both cruises you had to pick up the luggage tags by the sushi place

Yup that's the way they do it now. No one follows the well intended procedure and debarkation becomes a mess. That's why I pay no attention to it and carry off after the chaos.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:22 PM, cellfree said:

I remember when this first became a practice. Few people used it. Just off the Magic yesterday and ship was close to capacity. I would say at least half did the “carry off” thing which took a huge amount of time. The rest of us waited in the Theatre at our respective times while these crowds thinned out. My suggestion would be to let those who put their luggage out the night before debark first, we move along quicker than those toting their huge bags and then needing to wait for an elevator if they cannot put one hand on the escalator handrail. If the trend continues soon close to the entire ship will be carrying off their own bags. Thoughts? Or was yesterday’s experience rare?

That can't work because when it is time to disembark the bags have not been removed from the ship and organized in baggage claim.  Allowing those carrying their luggage to disembark first is what allows time for the rest of the process to work.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, staceyglow said:

What ship is this? I believe that every cruise I have been on, the steward left the tags in our Cabin. 

It's on all of them and has been this way since the re-start of Carnival cruising. It is part of Carnival's wanting to have the staff going into the cabins as little as possible, so they say. This could change at any time so ymmv.

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

It's on all of them and has been this way since the re-start of Carnival cruising. It is part of Carnival's wanting to have the staff going into the cabins as little as possible, so they say. This could change at any time so ymmv.

I was on the Pride last week and the tags were in my cabin. Also when I was on the Valor a month ago, if I am not mistaken. 

5 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I was on the Pride last week and the tags were in my cabin. Also when I was on the Valor a month ago, if I am not mistaken. 

Are you platinum or Diamond?  They are still putting the priority ines in the cabins along with note on where to meet for debarkation. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately there is a difference between people who debark with true "carry ons" and those who debark with multiple pieces of full sized luggage they checked in when boarding the ship.  The latter are the ones who clog the elevators and corridors causing delays for other passengers.  We recently completed a 16 day cruise with just small flight cases and backpacks thanks to the self-serve laundry facilities onboard and the warm weather itinerary.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Are you platinum or Diamond?  They are still putting the priority ines in the cabins along with note on where to meet for debarkation. 

Yes - sorry, we always carry off our luggage so I didn't realize that was a perk. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, Elaine5715 said:

It takes longer for terminal crew to unload bags and put in the terminal than those carrying off to move their own.  Luggage crew are not starting at o'dark hundred.  

Not exactly true... our last cruise we docked about 2am.  They started debarkation around 8am.  We got off the ship around 8:30am.  ALL of the luggage zones were filled.  If the ship had come in at a normal time then yeah, they would still be getting luggage off the ship.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, 1025cruise said:

I think part of the problem is that when Carnival switched to putting luggage tags out for taking, people take more than needed, leaving people who don't want to carry their luggage stuck doing so,

On 10/30/2022 at 10:20 PM, shof515 said:

Each ship is different but on the Mardi Gras there were plenty of luggage tags to be taken.  There were also multiple locations to obtain the tags.  We came across the 1st location by the pool and as we wandered the ship was able to trade up our tag numbers.

1 hour ago, iria64 said:

Not exactly true... our last cruise we docked about 2am.  They started debarkation around 8am.  We got off the ship around 8:30am.  ALL of the luggage zones were filled.  If the ship had come in at a normal time then yeah, they would still be getting luggage off the ship.

Which means they started about 6 am, the normal time.  Terminal crew did not show up at 2 am.  Two and a half hours is a good head start.  

On 10/30/2022 at 9:20 PM, staceyglow said:

We just came off Liberty. Tags were at the coffee shop on Deck 5. We got there shortly after they became available to pickup and all of the early times were already gone.