FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

FYI.  If you are leaving from San Diego cruise port please be aware that the port DOES NOT open until approximately 10:30 am AND there is NO luggage drop off for WALK UP guests prior to your  arrival time.  If you arrive prior to your port arrival time  you will be asked to leave with your luggage and return at your arrival time. 
there is no seating to wait inside the terminal and you will be directed to areas outside of the port where you can sit and wait until your arrival time. There are coffee shops and a park close by where you can wait  

Below is what is written on your boarding pass 

Guests should not arrive to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time, which is listed on boarding pass page of these documents and on the electronic boarding pass available in Navigator. For the health and safety of all, guests arriving to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time will be asked to return at your designated time. 

if your boarding pass shows 

arrival time “to be assigned”  this means you printed it out too early and need to reprint it closer to your arrival date or make sure you have the Navigator App which will show your arrival time. 
if you show up with no arrival time you will be asked to return after 2pm or after all guests with arrival times are let into the terminal first.  

AGAIN:  THE TERMINAL IS NOT OPEN UNTIL 10:30 OR UNTIL THE SHIP IS CLEARED BY CUSTOMS AND AT NO TIME IS THERE LUGGAGE DROP FOR WALK UP GUESTS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL TIME. 
you will need to keep your luggage with you until your arrival time.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, lais said:

FYI.  If you are leaving from San Diego cruise port please be aware that the port DOES NOT open until approximately 10:30 am AND there is NO luggage drop off for WALK UP guests prior to your  arrival time.  If you arrive prior to your port arrival time  you will be asked to leave with your luggage and return at your arrival time. 
there is no seating to wait inside the terminal and you will be directed to areas outside of the port where you can sit and wait until your arrival time. There are coffee shops and a park close by where you can wait  

Guests should not arrive to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time, which is listed on boarding pass page of these documents and on the electronic boarding pass available in Navigator. For the health and safety of all, guests arriving to the terminal prior to their assigned check-in time will be asked to return at your designated time. 

arrival time “to be assigned”  this means you printed it out too early and need to reprint it closer to your arrival date or make sure you have the Navigator App which will show your arrival time. 
if you show up with no arrival time you will be asked to return after 2pm or after all guests with arrival times are let into the terminal first.  

AGAIN:  THE TERMINAL IS NOT OPEN UNTIL 10:30 OR UNTIL THE SHIP IS CLEARED BY CUSTOMS AND AT NO TIME IS THERE LUGGAGE DROP FOR WALK UP GUESTS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL TIME. 

Also, if your are 5 star, 4 star, Pinnacle suite or Orange club then you have front of the line privileges so you can show up anytime after the port opens at  10:30 or so. .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the information!  We are on the 12/3/2022 Koningsdam cruise and driving over from Scottsdale, AZ and staying at a Marriott property directly across the street.  Looks like we will just be sleeping in and enjoying a LONG leisurely breakfast at the hotel before walking across the street!  🙂

Edited by DENIE
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you for the information.  I tire of the posts that say just show up whenever.  I hope it’s enforced.  I’m a rule follower so I do as I’m told.  Everyone has to check out of their hotel at the same time.  That’s my favourite excuse to hear 🤪.

But those hotels likely have a lobby with comfortable seating where you can wait, even after checkout.  EM

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

But those hotels likely have a lobby with comfortable seating where you can wait, even after checkout.  EM

Absolutely.  My last time in san diego I went up to the pool level.  They had some nice seating opposite the pool and I could watch to goings on at the port.  I've never been kicked off an hotel premises after checking out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lais said:

Thanks much for this very important info 😀

Just to add to my friend's post, within 500 feet south of check in, on the sidewalk, is Carnitas Taco shop (with shaded seating available) and a full bar. 

There is a public restroom along that route and seats along the waterfront between B.St. and Broadway as well.  A gift shop is also open for souvenirs.

To the north on the sidewalk is Portside Pier.....about 750 feet away. There are two full bars,  plaza level seating area with a fantastic view of the bay, coffee shop,  restrooms, and the Brigantine restaurant.  

Across the street:  Hazelwood's Deli (they serve great breakfasts also), The Claim Jumper restaurant, and the Surf Snack Shop.   

For last minute shopping (wine, champagne, etc.) the Harbor Market is located on the floor level of the Intercontinental Hotel on the Pacific Hwy. side.

We want you to have an enjoyable boarding experience.

Lately, our disadvantage has been that allowing luggage drop prior to your arrival time has overloaded the longshore workers.  California law states that a 30 minute lunch is required before a 5th our of work.  So, if that great group of people start at 7 am offloading luggage, before noon they need a break.  The accomplish this by using 2 shifts.....resulting in 1/2 of their workforce available between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm.  

Please.....abide by your Boarding Pass scheduled time of arrival at the pier.

If for some reason you need to arrive early,  I suggest that you be dropped off at Portside Pier, Wyndam Resort/Claim Jumper (across the street) or Carnitas just a short walk in any direction.  Keep your luggage with you.

Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere, and await your turn to check in for your voyage.

Thank you.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

Good to know. I’ll be going out of San Diego in December. I like to be onboard in time to have lunch in the MDR. 

I hope it’s open.  Don’t know if you are cruising on the koningsdam but it was not open for the 2 weeks I was on in March and my recollection was that it wasn’t open in November 2021.  I physically went and checked in March.  I don’t like the cafeteria so the mdr is my choice.

7 minutes ago, Radbooks said:

Thank you for the information! We're on the Koningsdam in December and will wait and cross the street at our assigned time. 🙂

I was staying at the Spring Hill suites across the street so it was great.  I had a birds eye view of the line.  It was pretty quiet in March.

• Like 1

We embark the Koningsdam Saturday Nov.5.  As 5* Our check in time is 11:30 group A.  Our hotel runs shuttle service so that will work out well with Hotel Check Out.  In the past we have waited in the hotel lobby.  Last Feb. when we arrived at the port there were  Star lines with times and already many passengers lined up and waiting.  As Neptune Suite passengers we didn't have to wait.  This time we are not in a Neptune Suite, so I assume we will be in line.

It sounds like boarding will be a little more controlled now. 

5 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Just to add to my friend's post, within 500 feet south of check in, on the sidewalk, is Carnitas Taco shop (with shaded seating available) and a full bar. 

There is a public restroom along that route and seats along the waterfront between B.St. and Broadway as well.  A gift shop is also open for souvenirs.

To the north on the sidewalk is Portside Pier.....about 750 feet away. There are two full bars,  plaza level seating area with a fantastic view of the bay, coffee shop,  restrooms, and the Brigantine restaurant.  

Across the street:  Hazelwood's Deli (they serve great breakfasts also), The Claim Jumper restaurant,

and the Surf Snack Shop.   

For last minute shopping (wine, champagne, etc.) the Harbor Market is located on the floor level of the Intercontinental Hotel on the Pacific Hwy. side.

We want you to have an enjoyable boarding experience.

Lately, our experience had been that allowing luggage drop prior to your arrival time has overloaded  the longshore workers.  California law states that a 30 minute lunch is required before a 5th our of work.  So, if that great group of people start at 7 am offloading luggage, before noon they need a break.  The accomplish this by using 2 shifts.....resulting in 1/2 of their workforce available between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm.  

Please.....abide by your Boarding Pass scheduled time of arrival at the pier.

If for some reason you need to arrive early,  I suggest that you be dropped off at Portside Pier, Wyndam Resort (across the street) or Carnitas just a short walk south.  Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere, and await your turn to check in for your voyage.

Thank you.

David

Thank you for all the info and that of your colleague as well.  You were kind enough to give us the number of passengers on each sailing the last season.  Is that something you will be able to do again close to the sailings?  It looks to me that sailing are pretty full at least prior to Christmas.  Thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was staying at the Spring Hill suites across the street so it was great.  I had a birds eye view of the line.  It was pretty quiet in March.

We stayed there last December and enjoyed it, but we're at the Intercontinental this time due to points. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Yesterday's embarkation was 2,264 for the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise on the Koningsdam.

November 5th....2,547 embarking.

100% capacity.

David

Ouch!  I fully expected that.  Good for the cruise line.  Not so good for passengers.  Thanks so much for the information.

• Like 1

We have boarded Disney Wonder with 2,450 passengers or more regularly with no issues this season.

Disney allows guest to choose their embarkation times, unlike HAL which assigns them.

It is much easier to manage the boarding process when guests have selected what works for them.

David

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you for all the info and that of your colleague as well.  You were kind enough to give us the number of passengers on each sailing the last season.  Is that something you will be able to do again close to the sailings?  It looks to me that sailing are pretty full at least prior to Christmas.  Thanks.

We only know the morning of so don’t have that info before sailing date 

44 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Yesterday's embarkation was 2,264 for the Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise on the Koningsdam.

November 5th....2,547 embarking.

100% capacity.

David

Where are you finding that info on the #’s???