Dress for evening venues

Ceegeefl

I tried to do a search on this but the search function on this site never seems to work for me so sorry if this has been addressed multiple times:

How about collared Polo type shirts for men in the restaurants for dinner as well as the theatre/lounges in the evening?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

I tried to do a search on this but the search function on this site never seems to work for me so sorry if this has been addressed multiple times:

How about collared Polo type shirts for men in the restaurants for dinner as well as the theatre/lounges in the evening?

Thanks.

Didn’t you get the memo? The standard uniform for men is a polo shirt and khaki pants. 😉

3 hours ago, Flgreg said:

Thanks.

From the Viking Site:

There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

Personally, I would say that a Polo shirt is collared so it would pass.  I would say that it should not have company branding/logo on it however.  I have worn polo shirts to dinner with dress pants and no one has looked twice.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 8:53 AM, oskidunker said:

I may bring a jacket a few ties. Used enjoy that when working. Sadly no one dresses up anymore. 

It's been a long time since anyone traveled with steamer trunks.  🙂  We have to check one suitcase and hope we get it at the end of our flight!

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 11:44 AM, CDNPolar said:

Personally, I would say that a Polo shirt is collared so it would pass.  I would say that it should not have company branding/logo on it however.  I have worn polo shirts to dinner with dress pants and no one has looked twice.  

CDNPolar -  I agree.

On our several VOC's, it seemed for men a large majority wore collared polo shirts with slacks (not jeans) to the Restaurants (not World Cafe).  Observed ones with/without branding.  Mostly sports team logos.  We did have one couple ahead of us in check-in line at CT who had shorts, sandals, and Logo Tshirt.  (This was a warm weather cruise).  They were politely asked if they would find something else.  

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, CDNPolar said:

Personally, I would say that a Polo shirt is collared so it would pass.  I would say that it should not have company branding/logo on it however.  

I suspect they'd let it pass if it happened to be a Viking polo shirt. 🙂

I solved this easily by leaving blue jeans at home and packing black chinos; no khakis for me. IMO chinos are more comfortable than jeans anyway. 

T-shirts and polo shirts for excursions, button shirts for dinners. One pair of shoes for everything. 

If it's a summer cruise, I pack pants that have zipper legs so that they can be worn either as shorts or long pants. Having traveled professionally for more than 20 years, I learned a long time ago to travel light.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, longterm said:

I learned a long time ago to travel light.

And jeans ain’t light and they dry slowly. Bluff Works chinos plus wash and wear sports jackets cover a hundred situations.

For the more formal Silversea cruise last year I took matching Bluff Works slacks and had an instant suit for formal night. 

So love carry on travel - much less stress. 

but totally understand those that want to pack more (or more casual). This is NOT about judging just about what has served me, personally, wel. 

• Like 3

Anyone want to share how people typically dressed for dinner and lounges during the Northern Lights cruises?   Any differences?  Is the ship kept cooler or warmer than you expected?  Just curious… thinking about after dinner, sitting in the Explorers Lounge with the hopes that the Aurora might appear… possibly having to go outside.

Any comments about cold weather cruises?

• Like 1

When we did the "lights" the ship was warm at night, no different to any other cruise, of course if the lights appear and you ant to go outside rules change.

One thing I did Wass get my camera set up on a small tripod, exposures etc etc so that I was good to go if the lights showed

IMG_4929.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Again, no jeans.  And remember, if you wear a ball cap the bill must face fully forward.....😱

Haha!! That's one I don't have any worries, since I learned at an early age they are doffed prior to going inside.😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Haha!! That's one I don't have any worries, since I learned at an early age they are doffed prior to going inside.😁

Andy - you wouldn't know that on some of our cruises.  Maybe people missed that lesson growing up!  I heard one guy respond to a request by another woman to take his hat off in the Restaurant, and he replied, I need it to keep my bald head warm.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flare3192 said:

what about leggings for women with a tunic top -- is this allowed?

I didn’t wear leggings, but I wore slim-cut slacks with tunic tops on our river cruise earlier this year and felt I was dressed appropriately.  I wouldn’t see any problems with leggings and a tunic top.  

We depart on our first Viking Ocean cruise in a few weeks. It's a  Panama canal cruise on Viking Star. I have new dark denim jeans that I had planned to wear with button down long sleeve dress shirts. This is something I could comfortably wear to expensive restaurants at home. The Viking travel consultant didn't commit, but he made it seem like it would not be a problem. After reading this thread I'm not so sure, so I'll ask again. Would I not be permitted to dine in Manfredi's, Chef's Table or The Restaurant, or have any other limitations anywhere on the ship due to this attire?

Edited by jc522

2 minutes ago, jc522 said:

I have new dark denim jeans that I had planned to wear with button down long sleeve dress shirts on the upcoming Panama cruise. Something I could comfortably wear to very expensive restaurants at home. The Viking travel consultant didn't commit, but he made it seem like it would not be a problem. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure so I'll ask again. Would I not be permitted to dine in Manfredi's, Chef's Table or The Restaurant, or have any other limitations anywhere on the ship due to this attire?

Bring them and also a backup.  Try it when you get on and see.  Our experience is each ship is slightly different in how they enforce the company policy.  I've seen people stopped and I've seen people do just fine.  Take a chance.  The long sleeve dress shirt IMHO will sway the odds!

9 hours ago, jc522 said:

We depart on our first Viking Ocean cruise in a few weeks. It's a  Panama canal cruise on Viking Star. I have new dark denim jeans that I had planned to wear with button down long sleeve dress shirts. 

Best just to buy a pair of non jean trousers instead, then there's no need to worry about it

• Like 4