CC article Air Tags stolen missing luggage and HAL Allianz cruise Insurance what to know

Caribensun

My luggage was stolen earlier this year in Seattle, arrived day of cruise, had the top HAL insurance (Allianz), when I called they do not cover stolen luggage.  I travel to fit in, not stand out, my luggage was not anything special.

Delta refused to offer me an over night kit or any compensation at the airport, even to the Police Officer who asked on my behalf.

I went on a cruise with basically nothing as was told I had to check my carryon.   HAL Zuiderdam Guest Services were wonderful and gave me an overnight kit and tee shirts and  shorts (Alaska cruise) then I went shopping.  So happy I was able to buy most of what I needed onboard, I love HAL shops and was able to wash clothes with the liquid soap.  Having Club Orange I believed helped a little too.  I now travel with Apple Air Tags.  On a recent trip, prior to pulling away from gate on plane, my carry on showed in belly (had to check again, different airline), checked bag showed still at airport leaving from.  When I got to my destination after arriving at the gate it showed it was with me on the plane.  Best place to buy luggage if on Alaska cruise, take a cab in Juneau about $180.00, to Fred Meyer and Costco.  
Fred Meyer had luggage.  
I fortunately save receipts and had photo of luggage so was able to get some compensation, but hope to never go through the hassle again.  Airline handled the claim.
Sandipalms

• Like 5

So was your luggage stolen or is it missing?  It may have been loaded on to the wrong flight and may still turn up (somewhere!).  Hopefully you put a sticker with your name and address inside the luggage.

It is really upsetting when luggage goes missing (whatever the cause) specially just before you board.  Hope you enjoyed your cruise in some way.

• Like 1

I think the Delta compensation is "up to $3800" per bag.......as much as it is a hassle and pain, many times I've wished my luggage would not make it....and I could get a full new replacement of everything!

I think you did a great job with the situation......We've learned in travel that anything can happen and probably will at some point......

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

The OP was my neighbor on the Zuiderdam and told me that a terminal security camera captured a photo of the individual stealing her luggage from the carousel.

It continues to amaze and shock me that in the US baggage carousels are not airside, but open to the general public.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It continues to amaze and shock me that in the US baggage carousels are not airside, but open to the general public.

Totally agree.  It used to be only passengers but now anyone can wander in.  I complained about that at YVR which is our domestic terminal.  

• Like 1

There is no security. I recently flew from Denver to Baltimore. My luggage arrived with all tags torn off. I walked over to where an airport employee had pulled it off of the carousel.... said that it was my bag. She handed it over and never questioned it. I easily could have shown it was mine by 1) opening TSA combination lock and 2) my name and phone number were inside. But she let me have it... no questions asked.

My luggage was stolen before I could get down to baggage, it was off the carousel in less than 2 minutes after deplaning.  No way I could have or anyone getting off a plane could made that fast.  Every airport has Port Security Officers.  You need to see one to file a claim.   Remember, you need receipts and photos for anything you want to claim including your luggage and photos.  $3500 is max that airlines can pay and it’s up to the airline what they will accept and that’s including the bags.  I had purchased the top tier HAL cruise  insurance and was surprised when I called and they don’t cover stolen only missing luggage.  
Thank you, I did handle it well, not much you can do, but start shopping.  People who have been through natural disasters suffer much worse in most cases,  not only clothes and personal items, sometimes everything.  
I never thought this could happen, always will be prepared now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I think the Delta compensation is "up to $3800" per bag.......as much as it is a hassle and pain, many times I've wished my luggage would not make it....and I could get a full new replacement of everything!

Sounds good in theory but the devil is in the details...

Delta lost my luggage for 12 days this summer, coming back from an international trip. (I blame myself for flying through Schiphol.)  I was just starting to give up and look into the replacement policies. You mostly get pennies on the dollar unless you can somehow prove the item was brand new. It looked like a big ol' hassle. Luckily, with the nagging of one truly dedicated medallion rep, they finally managed to find the bag and get it back to me.

• Like 1