HAL continuing to downgrade its product

DaveOKC

6 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Without actually knowing what was on the rest of the menu it comes down to each persons  view. 

There have been any number of MDR menus posted since the restart by people on "Live From" threads (such as by LaffinVegas and CrewNews) and in reviews. While food quality is certainly down to each person's view, I fail to see how the concrete lack of previously plentiful proteins on the menu in favor of pasta dishes, the reduction in the number of entrees offered on a given evening, the reported upcharges for items previously free, and so on can be considered an "opinion".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

No. I got off in Ft Lauderdale for 5 days after the Panama Canal and have been on Rotterdam since October 30th.

I am looking at some menus from the last caribbean season and they have much more options than the 5 night I was on. Wondering if it was scaled back for the 5 day or what.  Things can't be always available if they aren't always on the menu; whether there's a section for it or not. 

29 minutes ago, ldtr said:

What is your view of the overall menu, since you seem to be reporting the meat dishes are there as well as the pasta dishes?  Any copies of the menu's?

I don't keep copies of menus but will say other than the ones listed above there have been other types of fish, chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, various pasta, lamb, vegetarian choice and some location specific items such as jerk chicken or other Caribbean style dishes.  Dressy nights have not had included lobster at all as others have recently reported.   I do feel the MDR menus generally don't have as high-end ingredients as pre covid.  The Lido Buffet seems to have upped its game though!  (My subjective impression!) Especially on the Rotterdam compared to Nieuw Amsterdam.

@rafinmd is currently onboard Eurodam and blogging a live from.  He posts the menus on his blog.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

There have been any number of MDR menus posted since the restart by people on "Live From" threads (such as by LaffinVegas and CrewNews) and in reviews. While food quality is certainly down to each person's view, I fail to see how the concrete lack of previously plentiful proteins on the menu in favor of pasta dishes, the reduction in the number of entrees offered on a given evening, the reported upcharges for items previously free, and so on can be considered an "opinion".

Since there have been many menus posted maybe you can show some that would support your contention that HAL food is not returning to normal.  

I have gone through many postings and have only found a couple. The most recent is the link below just posted by Roy . Unfortunately his cruise just started after being delayed by the storm Looks similar to what I have seen on my cruises.    In general the ones I have found seem similar to what I have experienced and does not seem to match the five day cruise

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/dinner10.pdf courtesy of Roy's blog.

The following is from a June 12 Alaska cruise  posted by Alphen

F1F48736-7602-4120-BD2F-3CE7B89A958A.thumb.jpeg.a5eb7dc47649ada7a56369261faa74ff.jpeg

96DD1D5B-087E-44AA-A283-EEB77E3A02E4.thumb.jpeg.609db124e860e2fbb143abcb2fb1990c.jpeg

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

I don't keep copies of menus but will say other than the ones listed above there have been other types of fish, chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, various pasta, lamb, vegetarian choice and some location specific items such as jerk chicken or other Caribbean style dishes.  Dressy nights have not had included lobster at all as others have recently reported.   I do feel the MDR menus generally don't have as high-end ingredients as pre covid.  The Lido Buffet seems to have upped its game though!  (My subjective impression!) Especially on the Rotterdam compared to Nieuw Amsterdam.

@rafinmd is currently onboard Eurodam and blogging a live from.  He posts the menus on his blog.  

~Nancy

I have found that MDR lobster on most cruise ships have not really been very good for years, so have not really noticed if it has been there or not.  Did notice some substitutions in ingredients on pretty much all of the lines I have been on, in the first half of the year, but less recently.  Seemed like they were still getting all of their supplier issues worked out and their supply chain back up to speed.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Since there have been many menus posted maybe you can show some that would support your contention that HAL food is not returning to normal.

Please, I have no need to "support my contention."  I've given my opinion, you have yours. I've posted the names of some cruisers who've done "Live From" threads or have posted menus.

Those who've followed many threads since the re-start can form their own opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s is no longer spelled out on the menu as always available.  None of the items are.  Hal has had salmon and chicken as always available for years.  They say nothing about always available.   The fact that it didn’t change should be a pretty good clue that it is a regular item 😉.

It did change.  The Rustic Lasagna appeared only 3 of the 5 nights.  Logically that would indicate it’s not “always -available”, but only on the nights listed on the menu. I really don’t care what has been always available for years.  Unless they let you know either in print or the waiter verbally, it’s a moot point and a disservice to a non-HAL regular which I’m not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

I have found that MDR lobster on most cruise ships have not really been very good for years, so have not really noticed if it has been there or not.  Did notice some substitutions in ingredients on pretty much all of the lines I have been on, in the first half of the year, but less recently.  Seemed like they were still getting all of their supplier issues worked out and their supply chain back up to speed.

Oh yes the good old supply chain issue.  That’s my favourite 🤣.  That’s  one slow chain.  My grocery store has had 99 percent of items for more than 2 years.  I really don’t understand why a big corporation like carnival corporation would struggle.  I’ve seen Princess menus which do have lobster.  They are under the same umbrella.  This is a choice on Hal’s part.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We "Vintage" cruiser's have been spoiled by the old day's.  New cruisers have no idea what "used to be". We used to be treated like royalty even though we only had vista suite's. Honestly... I don't worry about the yum yum man or even cheap chocolate candies on our pillows and bed turn down. I just want to be at sea, meet lovely interesting passengers, sun on my face,  a thriller book to read, laundry taken care of, waiters so accommodating, intriguing meals, and interesting ports. We are thankful and blessed to sail with our Holland America family.

As a new cruiser to HAL (first one in 2021, three star mariner currently), I have to say that there have been many times Hubby and I were at dinner with the vintage cruisers who complained constantly about the food and the downgrade in service!  So much so that we questioned whether or not to continue to cruise on HAL!  Hubby would mention how much he liked his meal and then we would get the litany of “what it used to be like.”  We’re a couple that always likes to share a table in the MDR (we cruise quite a bit on other lines as well), but when we’re on a HAL cruise, we’ve avoided sharing a table.  While it’s enjoyable to share and hear tales of others journeys/experiences, it’s not enjoyable to listen to how much HAL has downgraded the ‘experience’ while on the experience!

We too enjoy our time at sea, love meeting interesting people and are currently enjoying our cruises on HAL.  

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I have to say that there have been many times Hubby and I were at dinner with the vintage cruisers who complained constantly about the food and the downgrade in service!

LOL. Similar experience. We are 3 Stars and began cruising HAL in 2002. 

We are "table for two" folks but the last time we went to the Mariners Lunch we ended up at a table with a 5 Star couple.....The chit chat was us talking about how great the cruise was and them complaining about how things have drastically gone down hill.  Basically, the "cut backs" sermon. 

All I know is we enjoy Holland America Line and it is our favorite by a long shot.......And life is too short for us to sit at a dinner table with whiny bears. LOL.  

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And for those who will insist on examples, here are a few things where Celebrity excels:

-- shrimp cocktail available every night without an up-charge

-- steak available every night (also an 'always available' fish and chicken, and oddly, escargot,French onion soup, and caesar salad)

-- lobster on Celebrity's equivalent of gala night (no problem asking for two, or for a 'surf n' turf')

-- an abundance of other proteins including beef, lamb, duck, and veal, and good fish options

-- a separate, smaller dessert menu presented after dining

-- breadbasket on table every night with at least 3 types of bread and breadsticks plus 3 different butters

Is filet mignon still on the MDR menu?

I loved the children's menu.  Small Filet and a very tasty tomato soup.

We normally declined the bread and butter.

One of the perks of being a Celebrity Zenith is getting one free gelato per cruise.

At first one could order the gelato in a freshly made waffle cone.

Eventually company policy allowed that free gelato could only be served in a small plastic cup.

I like the waffle cone better than the gelato.

On Nieuw Statendam we were able to get ice cream in a waffle cone and I was happy.

Every cruiseline does something special and is unique to that line.

Every cruiseline has also cut back on services that frequent cruisers notice and make their feeling known on sites such as cruise critic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

Is filet mignon still on the MDR menu?

I loved the children's menu.  Small Filet and a very tasty tomato soup.

We normally declined the bread and butter.

Yes.

And yes, small FM on kid's menu still.

I admit it, I love carbs and especially carbs from bread. 

21 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

One of the perks of being a Celebrity Zenith is getting one free gelato per cruise.

At first one could order the gelato in a freshly made waffle cone.

Eventually company policy allowed that free gelato could only be served in a small plastic cup.

I like the waffle cone better than the gelato.

On Nieuw Statendam we were able to get ice cream in a waffle cone and I was happy.

Every cruiseline does something special and is unique to that line.

Every cruiseline has also cut back on services that frequent cruisers notice and make their feeling known on sites such as cruise critic.

The gelato is so good on celebrity or  least it used to be.

@eroller, thank you for your review.  I sailed on the Rotterdam in March and the Noordam in October.  There was an improvement in service between the 2 cruises.  Don't know if it was difference in crew and ship or service fleetwide.

When I reported service and food issues after my March cruise, some here on CC didn't want to hear about it.  

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

@eroller, thank you for your review.  I sailed on the Rotterdam in March and the Noordam in October.  There was an improvement in service between the 2 cruises.  Don't know if it was difference in crew and ship or service fleetwide.

When I reported service and food issues after my March cruise, some here on CC didn't want to hear about it.  

Good to hear!  There is often a difference between ships even within the same cruise line.  Lots of variables at play, from the crew, sourcing, chef, pax mix, entertainers, etc.  It can all make a difference.  

There are many that don’t want to hear or believe anything negative about “their” chosen cruise line, even if it’s constructive.  It’s like they take it personal for some reason.  At the end of the day it’s a company, not a close relative.  Lol.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Roz said:

9 minutes ago, eroller said:

There are many that don’t want to hear or believe anything negative about “their” chosen cruise line, even if it’s constructive.  It’s like they take it personal for some reason.  At the end of the day it’s a company, not a close relative.  Lol.  

Public forums can provide an important source of information that companies can mine at minimal cost. It's the primary way many (if not most) customers express their opinions about a product/service. Experiences, perceptions, backgrounds, biases, agendas and personalities all come into play on a public forum. Thus, disagreements are inevitable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. What's the point of a public forum if everyone is in agreement all the time or some participants feel compelled to remain silent if they disagree with others? 

The best run companies excel at soliciting, analyzing and implementing customer feedback. In the end, it's how companies react to feedback, including well-documented constructive criticism, that matters. Not whether or not we agree/disagree with each other here. After all, this isn't a college football forum.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just started following this thread. We will be cruising on HAL in January  after mostly Celebrity and one MSC.  Now I’m a little bit worried about the food! I’ve always heard HAL was a notch up from Celebrity. If it is as good we’ll be fine. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

16 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

Just started following this thread. We will be cruising on HAL in January  after mostly Celebrity and one MSC.  Now I’m a little bit worried about the food! I’ve always heard HAL was a notch up from Celebrity. If it is as good we’ll be fine. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

As a frequent Celebrity (and other lines) sailor, I’m wondering about the food on HAL, too —. especially after reading this thread. I’ll know soon, after our Nov 26 sailing.  

Here are a few of the service issues we had in March:

No toast at breakfast

If we had the good fortune of getting the toast we requested, there was no butter or preserves

No salt or pepper in the salt and pepper shakers in the MDR

No butter with rolls at dinner

No offer of coffee or tea with dessert

If coffee was requested, it may or may not arrive

No sugar, sweetener, or creamer with coffee service

40 min. wait for a hot dog at the Dive In

These issues had nothing to do with my perceptions, personality, background, or opinions.  They are statements of fact based on my personal experience.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Here are a few of the service issues we had in March:

No toast at breakfast

If we had the good fortune of getting the toast we requested, there was no butter or preserves

No salt or pepper in the salt and pepper shakers in the MDR

No butter with rolls at dinner

No offer of coffee or tea with dessert

If coffee was requested, it may or may not arrive

No sugar, sweetener, or creamer with coffee service

40 min. wait for a hot dog at the Dive In

These issues had nothing to do with my perceptions, personality, background, or opinions.  They are statements of fact based on my personal experience.   

Wow!  What ship was this?  Just goes to show that each ship and each sailing can be so different because we had all these things (except for the long wait at Dive In) on the NS in Oct-Nov. 

About the food on Celebrity -- we haven't sailed Celebrity since 2017 and we thought their food wasn't good at all.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it is on our next Celebrity cruise next fall.