HAL continuing to downgrade its product

DaveOKC

5 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

I recently added unlimited laundry to some Nov-Dec. 2022 sailings and it was still $7/day.  North American home ports, of course.

Did HAL announce an increase?

The devastating news is being reported by @Cajuntraveler on another HAL thread about laundry.  Cajun is reporting this downgrade news after his recent 7 night NS cruise.  So sounds like USA prices.

Between this info and no yumyum man to give me a mint, I'm just at a loss to how we will go on.......LOL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

I recently added unlimited laundry to some Nov-Dec. 2022 sailings and it was still $7/day.  North American home ports, of course.

Did HAL announce an increase?

I'm basing this off the comment I posted above.  I did just look online and it still states $49 a day.  However, I can't book it. "There was an error adding the item to the cart."

4 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

I'm basing this off the comment I posted above.  I did just look online and it still states $49 a day.  However, I can't book it. "There was an error adding the item to the cart."

I had not tried to add it to my cart. I went back just now and was able to add it. The error when you tried to add it was probably HAL’s website gremlins we regularly encounter. I get that message every now and then when adding items.

36 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

I had not tried to add it to my cart. I went back just now and was able to add it. The error when you tried to add it was probably HAL’s website gremlins we regularly encounter. I get that message every now and then when adding items.

I know in the past we could get better laundry rates if we booked it pre-cruise, that may be the case again. 

I also saw that it was $30/bag on the NS recently (this month) according to a paper in our cabin (we're 5-star so weren't charged).  Our cruise started in Canada -- so North America, not Europe.  

Edited by Cruising-along

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hmmm.  Availability of toast, salt/pepper, and butter are subjective?  Cheerleading is reaching new heights.

Hank

To all the complainers, I could use a cruise right about now. Any future cruises planned, just toss them my way. I live in the part of Florida that looks like a war zone, so I  would be most appreciative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

To all the complainers, I could use a cruise right about now. Any future cruises planned, just toss them my way. I live in the part of Florida that looks like a war zone, so I  would be most appreciative.

Hang in there. Hurricane season has got to end soon.

• Thanks 1

We do bot believe that HAL is cutting back  greatly  . There  may be cit backs due to labor  ir supply chain shortages  ,mat thus time  but  looking at the future cruise prices they are going higher not lower  ,especially Alaska  ,Panama Canal  & some other itineraries  we have recently seen 

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

That’s the tradeoff for those outside of the hurricane zone requiring at least $1,000 to get to each cruise.  We might be cold but we do feel safer.

I’m not complaining but I do feel sorry for those living in the path of nature’s wrath.

• Like 1

dmcfad2 - I agree with you. In spite of many changes, I still love HAL.

I have been on other cruise lines and I think HAL has the best crew.

My stepfather and I were on Niew Statendam in August for 24 days.

Only problem was at cruise terminal on embarkation day. That may

have been Port Authority's fault. Once we got on board, everything 

was great. We loved the food and service and itinerary. We look 

forward to sailing with HAL again. I'm glad you had a great cruise.

• Like 2

We just had a wonderful cruise on the Koningsdam. The staff made sure I had a birthday to remember. Yet, we encountered passengers who had a list of complaints. We had excellent service and wonderful food in the dining room and two of the 4 speciality restaurants onboard. Our room was great. I couldn’t believe we did the same cruise as they did.

We also were lucky enough to met Gus Antorcha, the HAL President. He has incredible credentials. And he does care about the crew, the ships and the passengers. He was dealt a bad situation when Orlando left. He had to save the ships and the crew. He is spending time on each ship. He makes his way around without onboard staff shepherding him. He even ate in the crew mess with the crew. You need to give him a chance to turn things around. This isn’t going to happen in a couple of months.

Everyone that is able to go cruising should be thankful cruising is back. And that Holland didn’t go under like Crystal did!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Storylady said:

We just had a wonderful cruise on the Koningsdam. The staff made sure I had a birthday to remember. Yet, we encountered passengers who had a list of complaints. We had excellent service and wonderful food in the dining room and two of the 4 speciality restaurants onboard. Our room was great. I couldn’t believe we did the same cruise as they did.

We also were lucky enough to met Gus Antorcha, the HAL President. He has incredible credentials. And he does care about the crew, the ships and the passengers. He was dealt a bad situation when Orlando left. He had to save the ships and the crew. He is spending time on each ship. He makes his way around without onboard staff shepherding him. He even ate in the crew mess with the crew. You need to give him a chance to turn things around. This isn’t going to happen in a couple of months.

Everyone that is able to go cruising should be thankful cruising is back. And that Holland didn’t go under like Crystal did!

I had a world of trouble on my last cruise. I had hundreds if dollars charged to my onboard account despite checking multiple times a day.  They couldn't tell me what they were for.  Excuse after excuse. I also had a canceled flight.  Did you also have those issues?  You don't know what issues people had to deal with so why make judgments?  It's far too common on cruise critic to brush off issues of others without knowing.  Why should I be "thankful" that they survived?  Most people have to work hard for what they have in life.  Why should hal be different? 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

I'm driving down from Ontario to Florida.  I-75 is the great escape route for Canadians seeking to escape winter.  If we travel through Atlanta at the right time of day, I can report that this is a route without any problems.  If I travel at rush hour, I could have an hour longs delay.  If there is an accident or rain, I will experience (and have) serious delays.  We could be on the same ship at the same time but events that determine our experience can greatly vary from one cruiser to the next.  Before you judge another person's experience, walk in their shoes (analogy).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:06 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

The koningsdam on the  west coast seems to be going out at almost capacity.  I can believe that the ships in the Caribbean are much less full.  Lots of capacity.  They should send the Rotterdam to the west coast for some 10 day cruises.  I can see that being successful.

We just Debarked the Nieuw Statendam and had 2500 Onboard.  The week before had 2300 and we were  told this week’s is up at 2500.  

Last week they implemented a $7 charge for an additional Appetizer in Pinnacle.  In other words if you want Crab Cakes and a Salad there will be a $7 charge.  Pinnacle is now a 3-Course Meal only consisting of one App, one Entree and one Dessert.  

On 11/12/2022 at 6:25 PM, Hlitner said:

Hmmm.  Availability of toast, salt/pepper, and butter are subjective?  Cheerleading is reaching new heights.

Hank

We are currently on the NA and I can have all the toast, salt/pepper and butter that I want.  No worries.

Edited by iflyrc5
fixed mistake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

We just Debarked the Nieuw Statendam and had 2500 Onboard.  The week before had 2300 and we were  told this week’s is up at 2500.  

Last week they implemented a $7 charge for an additional Appetizer in Pinnacle.  In other words if you want Crab Cakes and a Salad there will be a $7 charge.  Pinnacle is now a 3-Course Meal only consisting of one App, one Entree and one Dessert.  

Yes, this was mentioned on cruise critic a couple weeks ago that it was was going fleet wide.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

33 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

My Caribbean Rotterdam cruise has 2381 passengers so far per ships Services.

FWIW one can save $31 by picking up salads, several appetizers, and desserts from the Lido Market while ordering your $15 10-oz filet Mignon steak (mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and sauteed mushrooms) from the PG via the Room Service menu.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW one can save $31 by picking up salads, several appetizers, and desserts from the Lido Market while ordering your $15 10-oz filet Mignon steak (mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and sauteed mushrooms) from the PG via the Room Service menu.

Or you could pick all those things up and take it with you to the pinnacle to show how stupid this is.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Or you could pick all those things up and take it with you to the pinnacle to show how stupid this is.

Maybe consuming your initial appetizers in the bar across from the PG prior to your reservation time?  Perhaps add a glass of wine, as well.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

Ship Capacity is definitely getting back to normal!  

I like the new “Upcharge” items and pricing on the DR Menu.  IMO, a definite improvement.  

8 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Ship Capacity is definitely getting back to normal!  

I like the new “Upcharge” items and pricing on the DR Menu.  IMO, a definite improvement.  

Why would you like it?  I would pay for some items if they were more special in a specialty restaurant.  That doesn’t mean a salad or appetizers in the pinnacle.  I’m not willing to pay it in a dining room where they are cooking a lot at once.  If it’s because you want to support the line why not get them to add a couple thousand on your cruise fare.  That would definitely go further.  I am serious about it.