Carnival dining changes, will Princess follow?

sunsetme

7 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

The charge in the main dining room is for the third entree that one orders. I certainly understand that. All land based restaurants have raised prices. Food cost is astronomical. It is not a big surprise 

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

I have no issues with any of these changes.  From what I can tell, the only increase or cut back (ice-cream hours, etc.) that isn't already pretty standard on Princess is the charge for the third or more main entrées in the dining room, which I think is quite fair.  Especially as it would appear you can still order as many apps and desserts as you wish.  

• Like 7

I have no problems if Princess started charging for a 3rd entree.   It might stop someone from ordering 3 entrees and eating 1/3 or less of each one, just because it's "free"  So many people are wasteful.   If you are still hungry after leaving the MDR, you can go to the buffet or go to the International Cafe.   Stopping people from ordering 3 entrees will help keep costs down for everyone.

• Like 18

I'd rather they just raise the overall fare price (I know that comment isn't popular) vs. nickel/dime in the MDR or other venues. Everything is more expensive these days, and the constant cutting of services and quality onboard is adding up. Just charge a bit more and keep the quality and service high. The price of cruising seems to have gone down over time, and expectations have gone up. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

I'd rather they just raise the overall fare price (I know that comment isn't popular) vs. nickel/dime in the MDR or other venues. Everything is more expensive these days, and the constant cutting of services and quality onboard is adding up. Just charge a bit more and keep the quality and service high. The price of cruising seems to have gone down over time, and expectations have gone up. 

By raising the fares, everyone on the ship would be forced to subsidize the few who use those food options. Why should everyone else pay more so the few can still have their extras? 

For the MDR, I have no problem with charging extra for 3rd or more entrées. How many people actually order that many? That is entirely unnecessary for the majority of passengers, so it would only affect a very few. Raising the fare to accommodate those few would penalize everyone else, so I don't agree. 

As for free ice cream only 11:00 to midnight, that is not a big deal. How many people actually get ice cream outside of those hours? Again, why should the rest of the passengers subsidize those people. 

And increasing the cost of the specialty dining? So what? It's not included in the first place, so only people willing to pay extra would be going there, so the increase shouldn't affect very many people. Forcing everyone else to subsidize their nicer dinners is unfair. 

I wouldn't want to pay higher fares to subsidize the few who use those food options. Not on my "nickel/dime". 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Just now, MileHighAko said:

I know it's not a popular opinion. I'm just thinking big picture. The problem isn't a few folks eating a few extra meals. It's a much larger and more systemic issue that only $ will fix.

The big picture is not forcing people to pay more for something they don't use. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

I know it's not a popular opinion. I'm just thinking big picture. The problem isn't a few folks eating a few extra meals. It's a much larger and more systemic issue that only $ will fix.

You are right to an extent...I would hate to go on a Cruise and be charged a la carte in the main dining room.  Part of the allure is that much of the vacation is all inclusive.  These changes are largely meant to eliminate wasteful behavior...there are a lot of people who have the mentality that since it is included they can be wasteful with no recourse.  As long as it remains targeted to eliminating wasteful behavior and not an attempt to nickel and dime every aspect of the experience I think most will be ok with it.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, MileHighAko said:

People who want an all-inclusive experience, including 3rd entrees and not stop ice cream, can cruise on the luxury lines with the higher price point right now.  There's no need for Princess to duplicate it.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Neither is the decreasing the quality of your product to the point that formerly loyal customers are going to the competition, yet that's the path Carnival is on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Neither is the decreasing the quality of your product to the point that formerly loyal customers are going to the competition, yet that's the path Carnival is on.

Based on the narrow scope of the topic of this thread, only a small percentage of customers will be affected. I don't think Carnival has anything to worry about. If the people are "loyal", as you say, they will deal with it and stay. For heaven's sake, we're talking about eliminating a tiny fraction of the amenities for a small fraction of the customers, not scrapping large aspects of the experience.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PTMary said:

Based on the narrow scope of the topic of this thread, only a small percentage of customers will be affected. I don't think Carnival has anything to worry about. If the people are "loyal", as you say, they will deal with it and stay. For heaven's sake, we're talking about eliminating a tiny fraction of the amenities for a small fraction of the customers, not scrapping large aspects of the experience.

I'm referring to the "big picture"--years of cuts on top of cuts and death by a thousand cuts--that have cheapened the product (and to use your words, scrapped large aspects of the cruise experience), not this specific change in isolation. 

Edited by DallasGuy75219

And those who started cruising eons ago are very thrilled with all the new modern conveniences that never existed before!  Yes, I cruised back in the dark ages way before the Internet, before computers, before color photos, before televisions in rooms,  slept in bunk beds, had metal steps without carpeting, etc., etc.  

In the old days dining was a very celebratory experience with the flaming Baked Alaska, etc. (Try that with the fire codes these days.). There was only one dining room--no specialty restaurants.

In my time I have met many cruisers who told me they could not even fit into some of their clothes by the end of the cruise, and I have seen people pile their plates high with food and leave a lot of it uneaten. I think it is great to charge extra for those who wish to exceed a normal food allotment.

Those cruisers who wish to order three entrees plus every meal will probably not be cruising in the next decade as an unhealthy lifestyle will cut their time short.  Plus the food waste is just too sad.  Bravo to all the cruise lines that try to help their customers make better and healthier choices.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LibertyBella said:

Those cruisers who wish to order three entrees plus every meal will probably not be cruising in the next decade as an unhealthy lifestyle will cut their time short. 

Those wolfing down three steaks might not be here forever, but when they drop, there will be new ones right behind them to take their place.  

6 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Almost everyone on a cruise is paying for things they do not use.

o You are paying for entertainment in the Princess Theater even if you never attend a show.

o You are paying for swimming pools even if you never take a swim.

o You are paying for movies on MUTS even if you never see one.

o You are paying for ping pong tables and equipment even if you never use them.

o You are paying for food at the International Cafe, even if you never get something there.

o You are paying for soft-serve ice cream even if you never get any.

o Etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Almost everyone on a cruise is paying for things they do not use.

o You are paying for entertainment in the Princess Theater even if you never attend a show.

o You are paying for swimming pools even if you never take a swim.

o You are paying for movies on MUTS even if you never see one.

o You are paying for ping pong tables and equipment even if you never use them.

o You are paying for food at the International Cafe, even if you never get something there.

o You are paying for soft-serve ice cream even if you never get any.

o Etc.

Sounds like the income and property tax system. 

• Like 1