Sapphire benefit Dinner with the officers

Patsfans

On 2/6/2023 at 6:44 PM, Sailing12Away said:

We'll be on the Joy in <20 days, and rumor has it that the dinner is back on. I'll let you know how it goes. Going in honor of a fallen friend who would have loved to chew the ear off of anyone who is lucky enough to work on these amazing ships. Hoping I can pull up the tidbits of ship trivia he shared with me over the years (rat guards, always remember the 🐀) and make him proud.

I was on the Joy for the 1/21 to 2/5/23 cruise and it has the dinner with the officers. I have done this in 3 ships the Sky, the Getaway and the Joy. The one at the Joy was my favorite because of the attention to details from the coordinator who did a follow up with chocolates and a card the following day,

On 2/8/2023 at 4:38 PM, oteixeira said:

Wait, your Sapphire already?  Darn you guys work fast.  🙂 And for anyone wondering, we will have the Blue Moon lifted early and often at the end of the month.  

Our last 2 trips were quadruple points in Haven/Garden Villas for 9+ nights. So it adds up quickly when you can cash in on those promos. Only our first cruise was at single points. We've had double 3x, triple once, and quadruple 3x. When we get on board we'll see when the officers dinner is in case we need to shuffle some dinners around. That's why they're there after all. (please marvel at my correct usage of 2/3 'their' usages despite being 2 imperial IPAs deep tonight...., my barometer for wanting to do work and not giving a F and already being in vacation mode has tipped the other direction... 14 days is it?)

On 2/8/2023 at 4:48 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

🐀😎

I've actually acquired a taste for Blue Moon (of course, if Guinness is on board that's all I'll drink unless the Brewhouse is closed).

You need to start experimenting more, especially on ships with a brewhouse. Get creative with those black & tans. Black moon (blue moon + guinness), peach moon (blue moon + shot of peach schnapz), ..... so many things to experiment and it's all free with that marvelous drink package.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Our last 2 trips were quadruple points in Haven/Garden Villas for 9+ nights. So it adds up quickly when you can cash in on those promos. Only our first cruise was at single points. We've had double 3x, triple once, and quadruple 3x. When we get on board we'll see when the officers dinner is in case we need to shuffle some dinners around. That's why they're there after all. (please marvel at my correct usage of 2/3 'their' usages despite being 2 imperial IPAs deep tonight...., my barometer for wanting to do work and not giving a F and already being in vacation mode has tipped the other direction... 14 days is it?)

14 days......and I am on the struggle bus trying to be both working and in vacation mode.  We had a big layoff followed by new goals so I need to make sure I keep up with all the other folks.  I don't want there to be any metric reason that they can cut me if we have to have another.  And I am impressed, how imperial are we talking?  9%??  10%???  I like it better when we just call them double or triple IPAs.  Just like the naming convention.  

I have never had quad points.  Triple this is my second time (on this cruise).  I will be at 111 after it, so still a bit away from sitting at the big kid table (officers dinner).  The Platinum is most important to me.  

12 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

14 days......and I am on the struggle bus trying to be both working and in vacation mode.  We had a big layoff followed by new goals so I need to make sure I keep up with all the other folks.  I don't want there to be any metric reason that they can cut me if we have to have another.  And I am impressed, how imperial are we talking?  9%??  10%???  I like it better when we just call them double or triple IPAs.  Just like the naming convention.  

I have never had quad points.  Triple this is my second time (on this cruise).  I will be at 111 after it, so still a bit away from sitting at the big kid table (officers dinner).  The Platinum is most important to me.  

11% Go big it go home baby! Although James drank most of the cherry one of course. He doesn't know I generally taste tested it when I poured it out.

IMG_20230209_205517.jpg

IMG_20230209_205543.jpg

• Like 1

Dinner with the Officers at NCL isn't offered to anyone & everyone, nor is a good fit for all those that reached the upper tiers - some find it boring & much rather be elsewhere, others find it refreshing and if you haven't done it, well ...  On shorter cruises with busy port days, not easy to even find time to sit back, relax & enjoy one of the many comp'd or specialty meal, let alone to sit with a group of "strangers" - I get that.  

Enjoyed ours in 2022, as it was only done briefly on the Getaway - had a complimentary group photos taken, signed & given to everyone that attended - ship's public health officers hosted our table (plus a HR person from Miami onboard) with some rather interesting conversation pieces.  Last month, we repeated that on the Getaway, executive housekeeper (plus a junior person from the Spa) hosted our table - everyone that came had a good time and shared stories, also joked about the changes ... no group photo this time, that's okay.  Sometimes, it's a small world on who you'll come across to say hello again and the other person actually remember you from before.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

You need to start experimenting more, especially on ships with a brewhouse. Get creative with those black & tans. Black moon (blue moon + guinness), peach moon (blue moon + shot of peach schnapz), ..... so many things to experiment and it's all free with that marvelous drink package.

Sorry sister, but I'm a simple rat🐀.   I just can't do that stuff to my Guinness.  I'll lift a blue moon for a very important salute, but then I'm pure Guinness until I run the tap dry (as I did last May on the Encore).  😎

5 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

I was just looking at the Lat rewards and saw this for platinum level and have no idea what it is... Dedicated Pre-cruise Service Desk 

i wonder how that works.i had a horrible experience doing a reprice last week. maybe this service desk can help with that if there is a way to contact them directly

• Like 1

FWIW, the "listed" Latitudes rewards hasn't been updated and/or reflect the "current" realities and practices at NCL, including "Dedicated Pre-cruise Service Desk" a/k/a "quasi limited concierge help" with restaurants & shows reservations ... since, outside of being Haven & in a full services "suite" (not the club ones) - advance booking options are limited until recent changes to shows ... 

I wouldn't expect much, if any, at all.  Maybe, maybe ... What we've tried to do, with some success at times, is to have any special requests (i.e. bed arrangement, distilled water, etc.) note when we confirmed our reservations.  Otherwise, not impressed with this aspect of NCL's customer services.  YMMV of course and would love to read about recent & positive ones.  

• Like 2

Our Dinner with the Officers was a home run.

Just off a Dawn 11 night sailing in a penthouse suite.  I had prebooked 2 of our specialty dinners and was holding 2 waiting for an announcement of the Dinner with Officers.  On departure,  we went to the Cruise Next desk who confirmed it would be happening, but no date set yet.  Eventually, our concierge booked our last 2 dinners.  We finally got notice delivered to the room that the dinner would be at Le Bistro.  Had to have our concierge rebook a specialty due to the conflict.   All this worked out great because of the effort of the concierge.  

So, this gave us five nice restaurant dinners, 1 at OSheehans, and 5 in the MDR (none real good).

The officers dinner at 7pm  included the ship GM and another staffer.   5 guest couples were treated exceptionally in Le Bistro.  Food that came out was the creme de la creme of what was in the kitchen that night.   Wines were a California cabernet and a Pouilly Fuisse.  Both good.  

Interaction with both of the NCL staffers was comfortable, fascinating, instructive.   The GM was skilled at directing conversations, answering questions, accepting comments and listening to any complaints. 

We and the others LOVED the occasion.  A great invitation and perk.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:33 PM, barric said:

Just off a Dawn 11 night sailing in a penthouse suite.  I had prebooked 2 of our specialty dinners and was holding 2 waiting for an announcement of the Dinner with Officers.  On departure,  we went to the Cruise Next desk who confirmed it would be happening, but no date set yet.  Eventually, our concierge booked our last 2 dinners.  We finally got notice delivered to the room that the dinner would be at Le Bistro.  Had to have our concierge rebook a specialty due to the conflict.   All this worked out great because of the effort of the concierge.  

So, this gave us five nice restaurant dinners, 1 at OSheehans, and 5 in the MDR (none real good).

The officers dinner at 7pm  included the ship GM and another staffer.   5 guest couples were treated exceptionally in Le Bistro.  Food that came out was the creme de la creme of what was in the kitchen that night.   Wines were a California cabernet and a Pouilly Fuisse.  Both good.  

Interaction with both of the NCL staffers was comfortable, fascinating, instructive.   The GM was skilled at directing conversations, answering questions, accepting comments and listening to any complaints. 

Sounds like another typically wonderful evening with Alain.  We always enjoy cruising when he is the GM, and really loved having dinner with him on our last Dawn cruise.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:33 PM, barric said:

Question - I assumed they'd pick a MDR.  Did you need to use one of your specialty dinners or is the specialty dinner part of the perk?

On the Star now, officer dinner and tour both new this cruise, snagged both. Plus still on a 2x/day room schedule for this trip anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Question - I assumed they'd pick a MDR.  Did you need to use one of your specialty dinners or is the specialty dinner part of the perk?

On the Star now, officer dinner and tour both new this cruise, snagged both. Plus still on a 2x/day room schedule for this trip anyway. 

Would you please be kind enough to post a list of the Senior Officers, both Hotel and Bridge?

Thank You

I hope you have a wonderful cruise

On 2/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, julig22 said:

Most of the dinners that we have had with officers have been in an MDR, but we’ve had three in Le Bistro and one in Cagney’s.  We are on the Sky now and had dinner with GM Jean-Michel in the MDR a couple of nights ago.  Last night we had dinner in Cagney’s and saw the Captain having dinner at the table next to us with six passengers.  When an officer invites you to join him or her in one of the specialty restaurants, the dinner is on them.  Also, regardless of where the dinner is held, the wine flows freely, regardless of whether or not you have a beverage package.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:35 AM, www3traveler said:

Would you please be kind enough to post a list of the Senior Officers, both Hotel and Bridge?

Thank You

I hope you have a wonderful cruise

I'll try. Haven't found the display with the info.  And they didn't give us a list at the m&g.

20 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I don’t know how NCL works their internal accounting system, so I don’t know who actually pays, but I do know that when an officer invites a passenger to dinner, the passenger pays nothing.

I believe that there is a "line item" in every ships' budget to cover it.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

I don’t know how NCL works their internal accounting system, so I don’t know who actually pays, but I do know that when an officer invites a passenger to dinner, the passenger pays nothing.

Thank you for the information. 

13 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

What it takes to invited to have a dinner with the Captain. Or any other officer ?

Platinum Latitudes members and above can sign up for dinner with an officer by stopping by the Cruise Next desk on embarkation day.  Other passengers can request to be put on a standby list in case there is an opening.  At our most recent dinner, there were two senior officers, the GM and Staff Chief Engineer, one Ambassador, seven Diamond, and two Bronze who had not sailed with NCL in over a decade.

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Platinum Latitudes members and above can sign up for dinner with an officer by stopping by the Cruise Next desk on embarkation day.  

Just to clarify, DWO (Dinner with Officers) typically is for Sapphire and higher ... and, yes, you ask & ask up at the CruiseNext desk ... Approval came from the GM's executive assistant or secretary with a written invitation.  Sapphire friends on one of last December's T/A signed up but apparently never dine under the program.  That's not to say, on last year's early Spring sailings with much lower occupancies, exceptions were made - only for a handful of cruises that managed to do so.  It was promptly suspended with the Spring surge in Covid cases and gradually restored last month, AFAIK.  

Pre-Covid, DWO was Latitudes Plus or higher ... 

PXL_20220401_2353E.jpg