Weren’t Pinnacles in the suite lounge before Covid?

Tenderpaw

It’s time for them to go back.  I’m on the Odyssey transatlantic now and the Bistro is Pinnacle only all the time and Boleros is Pinnacle only for at least 3-4 hours every night.  But you only see a handful of them actually using the space. It’s annoying.  The suit lounge and Coastal Kitchen would be just fine for them. Jus my opinion.

On normal sailings they are allowed. I have a Pinnacle friend on this sailing and she said there were 212 on this cruise. If they were in the suite lounge where would the suites guests go.  From what she said the Bistro and Boleros have been great options for a Pinnacle heavy cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We are currently on Wonder.  210 Pinnies on this TA...about the same as usual, maybe even less. 

On the first two weeks before the TA there were 19 on the first one (upper Tier in Music Hall), 93 on the second one (upper tier in Aqua theater).  Pinnacles allowed in SL, and a two night max in CK during those two weeks.   

Now...non-suite Pinnies are not allowed into CK or the SL at all, and not keyed into them.  The Solarium Bistro is a nice set up for all three meals, Pinnacles only (can't fit them all into Chops for breakfast).  And the Music Hall is very nice for happy hour (huge display of happy tisers, much more than the SL).  

Music Hall was set up for the 93 Pinnacle week as well, but not the Bistro.  

The numbers of upper tier are so huge on this ship, they separated the upper tier party into two groups, two different times in the Aqua Theater.   Pinnacles/D+, then later...Ds, Emerald, Platinum.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenderpaw said:

It’s time for them to go back.  I’m on the Odyssey transatlantic now and the Bistro is Pinnacle only all the time and Boleros is Pinnacle only for at least 3-4 hours every night.  But you only see a handful of them actually using the space. It’s annoying.  The suit lounge and Coastal Kitchen would be just fine for them. Jus my opinion.

I'm assuming you are not in a suite

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are currently on Wonder.  210 Pinnies on this TA...about the same as usual, maybe even less. 

On the first two weeks before the TA there were 19 on the first one (upper Tier in Music Hall), 93 on the second one (upper tier in Aqua theater).  Pinnacles allowed in SL, and a two night max in CK during those two weeks.   

Now...non-suite Pinnies are not allowed into CK or the SL at all, and not keyed into them.  The Solarium Bistro is a nice set up for all three meals, Pinnacles only (can't fit them all into Chops for breakfast).  And the Music Hall is very nice for happy hour (huge display of happy tisers, much more than the SL).  

Music Hall was set up for the 93 Pinnacle week as well, but not the Bistro.  

The numbers of upper tier are so huge on this ship, they separated the upper tier party into two groups, two different times in the Aqua Theater.   Pinnacles/D+, then later...Ds, Emerald, Platinum.  

Also currently on Wonder:

I have been in the suite lounge/CK 3 times. At all times the suite lounge was completely deserted, no suite guests. The constant whining of the suite guests that they need the lounge for themselves is ridiculous. If you desire the lounge or /CK , use it. The CK is from 8pm until closing about half-way occupied. They could have opened the suite lounge/CK plus the suite sun deck unrestricted. Very view suite guests use the facilities.

Thus, they could easily open the Solarium bistro to everybody. The big bottleneck are the suite guests who do not use the suite lounge, CK, suite sun deck to justify an exclusion of Pinnacles, cascading/impacting reserved and actual unnecessary Pin facilities down to all C&A levels.

• Like 2

First, keep in mind that not all ships have the same venues.  As a frequent suite guest myself, whether suite guests use their reserved venues or that they are uncrowded is irrelevant.  The point is that the venues are available and are sized for a reasonable number of suite guests given the size of the ship.  There is no way to determine on any given cruise or even any given day / night on a cruise whether suite guests will use the venues and RCCL doesn't want to create a situation where the suite guests (their highest revenue passengers) can't get into a venue b/c it's overrun with Pinnacles.

I do agree that, if a particular cruise has very few suite guests (cruise is undersold) AND there are relatively few Pinnacles on that cruise, it would make sense to open suite venues to Pinnacles.    

The real problem is that cruise lines have a very different approach to their loyalty program than airlines and hotel chains, where you typically have to meet a certain level every year or lose your status.  Lifetime status is very, very difficult to achieve.  For example, on United, in order to earn the LOWEST lifetime tier, you must fly 1 million miles.  That's actual miles flown on United, not partner airlines, not augmented with bonuses, not buying miles, etc.  That's 45 times around the world for tier 1.  Really good benefits don't start until you hit 3 million miles.  I fly a lot and can tell you that very, very, very few people can do that in their lifetime.  A small hotel chain we frequent drops points that are more than 3 years old.  So, you don't have to go every year, but you do need to return with some frequency to keep your benefits.

I realize cruise lines are different in that many people can't cruise every year.  However, on RCCL, the ONLY way anyone loses status is to die and I'm pretty sure the number of people achieving Pinnacle each year far exceeds the number who die or permanently stop cruising.  Thus, the number of Pinnacles only increases, putting greater strain on the venues carved out for them.

This is unsustainable and RCCL will eventually have to create yet another new tier and / or increase the points needed to make Pinnacle (while hopefully grandfathering those already at the status).

Bottom line . . . as the number of Pinnacles increases, it's correspondingly LESS likely they will be offered things like access to the suite lounge or CK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tenderpaw said:

On TAs there are usually 200-300+ pinnacles.  They don’t fit in the SL/CK and Royal learned their lesson on this with TAs.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kbonner said:

I have been in the suite lounge/CK 3 times. At all times the suite lounge was completely deserted, no suite guests. The constant whining of the suite guests that they need the lounge for themselves is ridiculous. If you desire the lounge or /CK , use it. The CK is from 8pm until closing about half-way occupied. They could have opened the suite lounge/CK plus the suite sun deck unrestricted. Very view suite guests use the facilities.

Thus, they could easily open the Solarium bistro to everybody. The big bottleneck are the suite guests who do not use the suite lounge, CK, suite sun deck to justify an exclusion of Pinnacles, cascading/impacting reserved and actual unnecessary Pin facilities down to all C&A levels.

The whole point of the SL/CK is to have a relaxing space that isn’t crowded.  Giving access to hundreds of additional people swamps those locations.  Royal recognizes what happens so when Pin counts are really high, like on TAs, they restrict access.  You can’t  charge suite guests a small fortune for a TA voyage and then crowd the CK worse than the windjammer on day 1 boarding at lunchtime.  Royal knows this.  

• Like 7

I guess If a Pin wants assured access to the SL, he/she can always book a suite….

It seems to me that most are well healed individuals who spent a lot of money to achieve the goal but now want to book a $300 inside cabin and be treated like royalty. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I guess If a Pin wants assured access to the SL, he/she can always book a suite….

It seems to me that most are well healed individuals who spent a lot of money to achieve the goal but now want to book a $300 inside cabin and be treated like royalty. 

They probably just want to be treated like they were promised to be treated when they were spending the money to get to Pinnacle. Who gives two flips what cabin a Pinnacle purchases after they are Pinnacle, it's not a requirement of the program to book a certain cabin or higher, it's just a talking point for those who have nothing better to do than whine.. or possibly envy. Who knows.

I think most Pinns are okay with the special sailing exceptions like the TA's.. it is expected. It is not expected on regular sailings.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the suite lounge, or any other lounge for that matter. I do like CK, but my other status ensures that I will get that even when Pinn's cannot access it.

• Like 1

Maybe the solution is to create a separate "Pinnacle Lounge" or restaurant with whatever benefits RCCL wants to provide.  My guess is that the D/D+ lounge will become less popular now that the drinks there count against the voucher total, so might be able to carve out some of that.  

I don't know what Pinn's were "promised," but there seems to be a "commingling" of Pinn benefits and suite benefits.  They are related but discrete programs.  Both should be able to enjoy full benefits of what they earned / paid for without having to worry about being turned away from, or crowded out of, a venue.   

48 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Maybe the solution is to create a separate "Pinnacle Lounge" or restaurant with whatever benefits RCCL wants to provide.  My guess is that the D/D+ lounge will become less popular now that the drinks there count against the voucher total, so might be able to carve out some of that.  

I don't know what Pinn's were "promised," but there seems to be a "commingling" of Pinn benefits and suite benefits.  They are related but discrete programs.  Both should be able to enjoy full benefits of what they earned / paid for without having to worry about being turned away from, or crowded out of, a venue.   

A) Suite Lounge drinks aren't unlimited for Pins.

B) The SL is quiet because it's to far away.

We sailed OY in January and no one but us went there. We mainly went to keep the staff occupied 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

They probably just want to be treated like they were promised to be treated when they were spending the money to get to Pinnacle. Who gives two flips what cabin a Pinnacle purchases after they are Pinnacle, it's not a requirement of the program to book a certain cabin or higher, it's just a talking point for those who have nothing better to do than whine.. or possibly envy. Who knows.

I think most Pinns are okay with the special sailing exceptions like the TA's.. it is expected. It is not expected on regular sailings.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the suite lounge, or any other lounge for that matter. I do like CK, but my other status ensures that I will get that even when Pinn's cannot access it.

Crown and Anchor doesn’t promise anyone anything.  Their language is very clear that benefit can change at their discretion.   If a pinnacle spent all that money to be pinnacle ( as you say), they would surely be aware Royals loyalty program, like any other company, reserves the right to change any and all benefits/perks at any time.   Respectfully, Royal hasn’t promised any of us anything with regard to C&A.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

A) Suite Lounge drinks aren't unlimited for Pins.

B) The SL is quiet because it's to far away.

We sailed OY in January and no one but us went there. We mainly went to keep the staff occupied 

The suite lounge wasn’t too far away when drinks were unlimited.  😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

And then that venue would be empty when ever pinnacle counts are low (which is often).  These issues only happen on particular cruises like TAs.  They seem to have a good handle on it.  One complaint on CC doesn’t mean they need to make changes let alone build out a new Pinnacle only restaurant (which I can assure you they aren’t going to do).  

My family and I sail frequently in Sky/Star and have had multiple good, and bad, experiences with Pins in the lounge. Having little kids (3,6,8) we have had many that give us the stink eye because we have children in the lounge. Our kids are well behaved (honestly) but they are kids, which means sometimes they have their moments. I really dislike the judgement from senior Pins. I also have found it frustrating that they all swarm the best tables before CK even opens. But also, there have been many great experiences as well. One Pin was absolutely wonderful with my kids and ate breakfast with us. Mario also was very nice to them. Essentially, some people are great, some suck, regardless of status. But I do agree, when paying crazy prices currently for suites, I do expect to have the lounge with available seating and service. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Crown and Anchor doesn’t promise anyone anything.  Their language is very clear that benefit can change at their discretion.   If a pinnacle spent all that money to be pinnacle ( as you say), they would surely be aware Royals loyalty program, like any other company, reserves the right to change any and all benefits/perks at any time.   Respectfully, Royal hasn’t promised any of us anything with regard to C&A.  

Well aware of T&C. Also aware that yes, promises of perks are there to entice spend, but that is another story. Did you read the comment I responded to, because if so you would have seen that I was responding to a “treated like Royalty” sarcastic comment. I stand by my response.

As I say? Are you implying it’s something other than money that is spent? I mean, I know I earned mine dirt cheap, but most Pinns get there with a lot of $$ spent.

20 hours ago, Kbonner said:

You say you have only been in CK/SL 3 times? It has been packed when we have eaten dinner there for over 3 weeks now.  We have 5:30 reservations during the TA, and had 6 pm during the first two weeks before.  Have eaten dinner and breakfast in there every day.  SL is very busy just before first seating at 5:30.  

Since Solarium Bistro is Pinnacle only breakfast, El Loco Fresh has opened up for about the same breakfast buffet food that Solarium had.   They are not usually open for breakfast, but are for this C&A heavy TA.  It is a nice set up, and many are using it.  We loved take out lunch there.  

I am Pinnacle.  See a lot of Pinnacles in CK and the SL (and those are just the ones wearing badges).  But we are all suites guests.

As many say...want to be guaranteed suite privileges for a C&A heavy cruise?  Book a suite.   TAs are notoriously heavy with Pinnacles....as will be the first sailing out of PC on the 13th (which we are not on).  

20 hours ago, George C said:

Too many times every bar seat in suite lounge was occupied by a pinnacle who stayed there for hours , we book suites but always in past got drink package. 

Were those Pinnies at the bar also in a suite?