Airlie Beach help

Hi All,

Just boarded Coral Princess heading to Northern Queensland and had a note in our stateroom about our cancelled excursion to Reefworld while in Airlie Beach.  We are extrememly disappointed as our whole Australian adventure centered around taking our kids snorkeling at the GBR. 

Looking at what they have left for shipboard excursions there is only one i can see that allows us to swim/snorkel at the reef but its almost double what we had paid for our other excurison ($330/person)

I had researched this before coming and contacted several companies but timing doesnt work out with port times so had to book with Princess. 

I understand the gbr is a massive area but what would people suggest we do while in Airlie Beach to get us to the reef? Are there any excursions or day trips offered at the port? 

Thanks for the short notice help. 

9 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

Thanks. Had a look and times dont work with our port times :(. One looked perfect but leaves at 715am and we get in at 7am. Assuming on time. 

Airlie Beach is a tender port. Cruise line tours have the reef boats collect passengers from the ship -  which save plenty of time at each end of the trip.

Even if you find a third party supplier, you need to factor in 45-60 minutes extra on each end of the trip.

If you are going to Cairns, there may be options from there.

52 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

Are there any excursions or day trips offered at the port? 

None that will fit into the ship's schedule. I think you're out of luck at Airlie Beach as far as the GBR goes. I assume Coral is then heading to Cairns and Port Douglas. Those are your best bets. Once again ship excursions would be the way to go.

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

None that will fit into the ship's schedule. I think you're out of luck at Airlie Beach as far as the GBR goes. I assume Coral is then heading to Cairns and Port Douglas. Those are your best bets. Once again ship excursions would be the way to go.

Thats what we figured. Thank you. 

Cairns we are doing the the skyrail and Port Douglas my wife and I are doing a reef trip to scuba and leaving kids on the ship so Airlie Beach was our day to do the family trip. We will pick something from what is left. Appreciate the quick feedback. 

12 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Thats what we figured. Thank you. 

Cairns we are doing the the skyrail and Port Douglas my wife and I are doing a reef trip to scuba and leaving kids on the ship so Airlie Beach was our day to do the family trip. We will pick something from what is left. Appreciate the quick feedback. 

Seeing Airlie Beach is your family day, you might like to consider spending it at the beautiful big lagoon in Airlie Beach. It is free and very popular with the backpackers.  You could walk there from the ship, or take a  shuttle, then walk around the town.  You could also get a ferry from Shute Harbour to South Mole Island, a National Park.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Seeing Airlie Beach is your family day, you might like to consider spending it at the beautiful big lagoon in Airlie Beach. It is free and very popular with the backpackers.  You could walk there from the ship, or take a  shuttle, then walk around the town.  You could also get a ferry from Shute Harbour to South Mole Island, a National Park.  

Would you suggest this lagoon over Whitehaven Beach? Theres an excursion offered there that we are leaning towards. 

There is a great youtube video which I hope helps. In case you cannot watch it on board, here are the links they posted. 1. eScooters/chariots - Whitsunday Fun - $25 for 1 hour, $50 for 3 hours https://www.whitsundayfun.com.au/ 2. Stand Up Paddleboarding - Whitsunday Stand Up Paddle & Kayak - SUP $30 per hour https://www.whitsundaystanduppaddle.c... 3.Airlie Beach Lagoon - FREE https://explorewhitsundays.com/airlie... 4. Tuk Tuk - Just Tuk'n Around - $30 for 30 mins, $50 for an hour https://www.justtuknaround.com.au/ 5. Shopping - FREE to whatever you want to spend 6. Beach - FREE 7. Markets - FREE to whatever you want to spend https://www.mywhitsunday.com.au/direc... 8. Trike Tours - Airlie Beach Trike Tours $50 for half hour https://airliebeachtriketours.com.au/...

Edited by andlep

48 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

Would you suggest this lagoon over Whitehaven Beach? Theres an excursion offered there that we are leaning towards. 

That is a hard one as Whitehaven Beach is really beautiful.  Depends on the age of the children.  We have travelled annually with children (from young age to adult) and I know that sometimes they just enjoy a free day where they can have fun. 

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a hard one as Whitehaven Beach is really beautiful.  Depends on the age of the children.  We have travelled annually with children (from young age to adult) and I know that sometimes they just enjoy a free day where they can have fun. 

My personal favourite thing to do at Airlie Beach is to hire a car and drive north to beautiful Cape Gloucester, Hideaway Bay, stopping at Dingo Beach Hotel en route for a cool drink, and have a seafood lunch at the Cape Gloucester Resort/Montes Reef Resort. (55 klm north about an hour)

3 hours ago, subaru94 said:

You have come a long way I would be tempted to do the Whitehaven Beach as it is really lovely.  

We have it narrowed doen to whitehaven and another excursion that says its an eco tour where you learn about the reef and then a guided snorkel. Hook island? 

Another major problem is the internet is terrible and the app rarely works. So trying to research things has been extremely difficult. I ended up deleting the app to reinstall it and it no longer appears in the app store. Went to my preciously downloaded app and it saud the princess app is not avaulable for download! Urgh haha. Far cry from ovation internet where i was streaming live sports from home!

Waiting for 9am to go to shore excursion desk to tey and book to see what is left. 

20 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

We have it narrowed doen to whitehaven and another excursion that says its an eco tour where you learn about the reef and then a guided snorkel. Hook island? 

Another major problem is the internet is terrible and the app rarely works. So trying to research things has been extremely difficult. I ended up deleting the app to reinstall it and it no longer appears in the app store. Went to my preciously downloaded app and it saud the princess app is not avaulable for download! Urgh haha. Far cry from ovation internet where i was streaming live sports from home!

Waiting for 9am to go to shore excursion desk to tey and book to see what is left. 

Between Whitehaven and Hook Island, I would choose Whitehaven which is unique in the Whitsundays.

Whatever you decide you'll have a wonderful time.  This is a beautiful part of tropical Queensland. 

Whitehaven Beach is gorgeous, and the boat trip there and back is exhilarating, but you only spend a couple of hours on the beach on the Princess excursion and the part of the beach we stopped at didn't have reefs for snorkelling. It was lovely for swimming though. 

The yellow RIB is the excursion boat.

20220907_115409.thumb.jpg.1dde834c37766be51f414ceac3623713.jpg

Looking the other way along the beach.

20220907_115240.thumb.jpg.d0f6a6bbac5cd491c6d47ad1341664a1.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks all so much for the tips and help and such short notice. We really appreciate it. We were able to get down to the shore excursion desk and book this excursion. We were torn between this one and Whitehaven but wanted to guarantee some snorkiling for the kids and the Whitehaven excursion didnt clarify if equipment was available just that there spots for it.  Plus we've done so many beaches on our way here!  I wish we had another day here to go to Whitehaven beach but one more reason to come back in the future!

Thank you again for the time and effort in helpimg us out. 

Screenshot_20221111-091336_Princess.jpg

• Like 3