I let HAL pick my room.

Lieutenant Dan

This is called a guarantee booking, or a " GTY booking". What category did you book into?

Do you know anything about insides on HAL? I assume you took the GTY booking because it was cheaper,  right?

Yes, it's possible you could end up in the smallest, lowest level inside cabin. You consented to that when you accepted the booking option. If you booked a higher level inside GTY, you won't end up in the cheapest inside.

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

First time HAL cruiser here. We are on Nieuw Amsterdam May 2023 to Alaska. I went with interior room & let them pick the room. Has anyone else done this? Not sure if I’m going to regret it. Are we gonna end up in the broom closet of the engine room? Thanks 

Actually, the lower (Main) deck insides are very nice. Our one cruise on N.Amsterdam, we had an Inside Guarantee and I got spooked about a tiny cabin with no place to sit but the bed, and "upgraded" to an OceanView -- we ended up under the Queen's Lounge AKA BBKingsBlues Club! Booming bass until 11pm or later! So really I recommend well-fitted earplugs for any cabin -- there are many sources of noise on a ship.

I would stay with the GTY. Go here to look at any room with "I" indicated, to see what range of layouts you might end up with. And there are many. Then plot your quickest way to the promenades on Decks 3 and 10, or the Crows Nest on Deck 11. The layout of the Lido Deck is also good to scope out!

You have made a good choice to go to Alaska on Holland America; they do it very well. (Three times for us!) And to save your money for shore excursions.

ETA: Looks like N.A. is sailing from Vancouver in May 2023, so I amend my advice to say you made a VERY good choice, to cruise up the inside passage between Vancouver Island and Br.Columbia.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Thanks for the feedback. Spent 4 years on an aircraft carrier. I’m sure it’ll be more comfortable than that anyways. Alaska has been on the bucket list for a long time. Psyched!

I've been cruising since 1964 and in the early days I almost always booked a guarantee with the same attitude you seem to have. I had a great time on less money and was rarely disappointed. Go For It...and have a great time.

• Like 3

We are 3 star Mariners and long time cruisers of other lines before finding our HAL home.....We've been guarantee folks for probably 90% of our cruises and have yet to find a bad cabin on a ship.  

Most of the time we get what we pay for.....And are fine.  

Follow the guarantee rule of "only buy the minimum category you are comfortable" and enjoy the journey.....

We are taking the family on a Thanksgiving cruise on the NS next week and I've bought us 3 inside guarantees and that is what we are assigned.  

All good!

• Like 3

@Lieutenant Dan, greetings to a fellow Tennessean.  As a solo, I've booked many guarantees to save money, including inside guarantees.  As @crystalspin stated, the insides on the Main Deck are very nice.  The only time I got bit by a guarantee was on the Noordam.  I ended up with a 125 sq. ft. cabin that was poorly arranged.  

You'll love Alaska.  I've been on 5 Alaskan cruises and have a 6th booked for next year.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 2

We booked an unobstructed balcony guarantee two weeks ago for a sailing on Rotterdam one week from tomorrow, the 10th of November. We just got our cabin assignment today. Turned out fine.....three doors away from the aft elevators, deck 6. Not too bad....Great price too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iramack said:

Says Who Exactly???  

Assignments come at all kinds of times, but in MY experience usually around 3-4 weeks.

Cheers!

Says me, based on my personal experience.  Maybe it's because I sail solo, but I usually get my assignments a few days to a week beforehand.  I was just trying to let people know not to get into panic mode because they don't have an assignment 2 wks. out.  If HAL assigns you early, more power to you. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roz said:

2 weeks is still too early for a guarantee assignment.  

But maybe you should have said it the way you just did in response to me, instead of the declarative statement above..........?  Just saying................

PS: I am on Koningsdam next week as a solo for the first time out of 24 or so cruises...........Any tips for solo cruising on HAL?

SM

We have been in inside, ocean view and balcony rooms, enjoyed them all, some were guarantee and some we picked.  One thing to consider about Alaska is the amount of daylight that seeps into your cabin early in the morning, for that reason we picked an inside guarantee.  HAL generously upgraded us to an ocean view.  The first morning of our cruise we were up so decided to go get some coffee.  After looking at my watch we discovered that it was 4AM.  Fortunately, we found that hair clips work great for closing the curtains tight, now we never travel without them.  

Edited by Cruiz'nBaers
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Thanks for the feedback. Spent 4 years on an aircraft carrier. I’m sure it’ll be more comfortable than that anyways. Alaska has been on the bucket list for a long time. Psyched!

Sounds like you have a good attitude about the guarantee. Alaska excursions tend to be expensive, so spend your money on those instead of a balcony. Go whale watching!!

10 hours ago, trixiee said:

We’ve been assigned at the pier a time or 2!  No worries, you will have a cabin!

That's good to hear! I just got my boarding time (no room).. 2:30 PM. Looks like we have an extra meal to find 😕