Which 4 specialties should I pick out of these?

Vacationlover2

27 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

Teppanyaki

Cagney's

Le Bistro

La Cucina

Ocean Blue

This is on Getaway

Personally, I would go with Teppanyaki, Cagney's, La Cucina and Ocean Blue.  I've never been that impressed with Le Bistro.

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

So you’ll make your decision based on the opinions of strangers??

No kidding  .... Nobody knows your likes and dislikes or tastebuds. The restaunts are all different with different food and you'll get (and are getting)  suggestions for all based on OTHERS likes. 

Edited by MichiganFisherman

2 hours ago, Vacationlover2 said:

Le Bistro

Ocean Blue

Teppanyaki

Cagney's

In that order. Personally, we are not Cagney's fans and it has slowly moved to the bottom of our list over the years. The service and quality of food has gone down hill across the fleet over time. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

So you’ll make your decision based on the opinions of strangers??

7 minutes ago, MichiganFisherman said:

No kidding  .... Nobody knows your likes and dislikes or tatsebuds. The restaunts are all different with different food and you'll get suggestions for all based on OTHERS likes. 

Gosh... isn't that what Cruise Critic and all of the other travel and restaurant web sites are all about??? Seeing other people's reviews and opinions to inform your decision if you have no basis. If the opinion of stranger was not important, that all of those review websites would be out of business. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MichiganFisherman said:

If you were comparing 5 steakhouses and opinions between them it would make a bit more sense. Most would agree .....

Maybe. I travel a lot and am never looking for the "best steakhouse" in the area. I am looking for the "best restaurant", irrespective of cuisine. Just like the OP.  "Best" doesn't mean the most expensive, or the highest quality, I am on vacation and looking for a "good" place to eat. I am looking for recommendations on review sites like "Y" from others who have been in the area. 

And I fully support the OP for asking others who have sailed on NCL a lot for their opinions. It is a good question to be asking on Cruise Critic and not something they should be slammed for. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

I haven't eaten at most of them (we did do Cagneys several years ago), but for our upcoming cruise, I'm choosing the ones that most scream "I'm on vacation!" to me. We can fairly easily get authentic Italian cuisine (La Cucina) and hibachi (Teppanyaki) when not on vacation, and for prices that aren't too crazy. But French (Le Bistro) is harder to find, and steakhouses (Cagneys) tend to be $$ so I'm going with those for our cruise. We're also doing Moderno, but I don't know if that's on the Getaway. We'll be on the Gem so Ocean Blue isn't a choice for us.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

I haven't eaten at most of them (we did do Cagneys several years ago), but for our upcoming cruise, I'm choosing the ones that most scream "I'm on vacation!" to me. We can fairly easily get authentic Italian cuisine (La Cucina) and hibachi (Teppanyaki) when not on vacation, and for prices that aren't too crazy. But French (Le Bistro) is harder to find, and steakhouses (Cagneys) tend to be $$ so I'm going with those for our cruise. We're also doing Moderno, but I don't know if that's on the Getaway. We'll be on the Gem so Ocean Blue isn't a choice for us.

Moderno is on the Getaway.  

• Thanks 1

If you’ve never done Hibachi do Teppanyachi it’s so much fun. I thought Cagney was pretty good ( not great. Stick to tried a true. Shrimp cocktail, filet , onion rings etc. we love Le Bistro for escargot and mushroom soup and duck. Desserts are great. We have a lot of great Italian restaurants where we live so La Cucina is really mediocre ( ketchup on spaghetti anyone) but found ocean Blue interesting and a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

We have eaten at each of them several times, but as others have said, one person's opinion may vary wildly from that of others.  It is, quite literally, a matter of taste.  That being said, we always book a meal in Le Bistro on every cruise, sometimes twice.  Teppanyaki is one of those once in a blue moon venues.  We only go there when we're in a particular mood, maybe once every three or four cruises.  It's mostly for the show, although the food is very good.  It's just that the menu offerings are very limited.  If you're in the mood for hibachi steak or shrimp, then go for it.  La Cucina has been rather hit or miss for us.  I've had the best steak ever in my life there, and I've had some meals that wouldn't even make the cut at Olive Garden.  Ocean Blue has been consistently good for us, but some have reported overcooked or otherwise poorly prepared fish.  We never eat steak at Cagney's.  There are other places on board, such as Le Bistro, La Cucina, and Teppanyaki that do a much better job with steak.  My wife usually orders the grilled seafood platter at Cagney's.  Lately I have been ordering the rack of lamb.  I used to get that at Le Bistro, but when they changed the menu a year or so back they dropped it.  One other note about Cagney's - the service typically is very slow, noticeably slower than in other NCL specialty restaurants.  It also has seemed less attentive there.  It's the only NCL restaurant where I frequently have felt the need to send food back because it was not prepared the way I requested.

In 2020 we ate at Cagneys (I rate that #1 of the 3), Teppanyaki (#2 - fun but not really unlike what we can easiely and fairly inexpensively have at home), and Moderno (my #3 - have eaten at 2 Brazilian BBQ places before and it was a disappointment in comparison).  This was all on the Escape.

For our upcoming trip will definitely go to Cagneys but haven't decided on our second one.  Everyone seems to rave about Le Bistro but I don't really enjoy french foods and don't like much seafood so probably won't choose that one.

Wow, ignore all the people that decided to berate you for asking experienced cruisers for advice. That's literally the premise of websites like Yelp and Tripadvisor (and to a degree, Cruise Critic and member reviews for cruises!) and there's nothing wrong with it. 

I personally hate the premise of Teppanyaki restaurants, so I will never choose it if I have a different choice. So, I'd take the other four. I have dined at Le Bistro, Cagneys and La Cucina. Advice: with La Cucina, just do a little pre-reading her for recommended (and not recommended) items. It's been a long time since I dined there, so can't recall what the hits and clunkers were, but if you do some searches here, you can find some advice on their best and worst dishes.

14 hours ago, mscloyd said:

For our upcoming trip will definitely go to Cagneys but haven't decided on our second one.  Everyone seems to rave about Le Bistro but I don't really enjoy french foods and don't like much seafood so probably won't choose that one.

My husband feels the same about French food (and oddly took French as his foreign language in high school). I feel neutral about it (other than French breads, baked goods and quiches, which I adore). But I have to say, I always enjoy my meals there. He does, too, but the experience just isn't his favorite and nothing excites him. So, even if you hear a lot of people say "you must pick Le Bistro," meh. Don't feel overly pressured. Try it some day, as you'll probably enjoy the good food, but if others excite you more, stick with those.

• Like 1