Jewelry Purchased on ship Broke!

itzfitz

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I generally don't buy jewelry on board but have purchased in ports with no issues. I find pricing heavily inflated on the ship be it jewelry watches or handbags. 

I bought my wife a ring on board Edge last year. The prices are VERY negotiable. I felt we got a good deal and avoided paying sales tax.

And now that I think about it, I recall that they didn't have her ring size on the ship. The jeweler had a land store in Great Neck Long Island, had it made there, and shipped to us. If I can find the paperwork, I'll post back. Perhaps it will help OP.

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I bought my wife a ring on board Edge last year. The prices are VERY negotiable. I felt we got a good deal and avoided paying sales tax.

And now that I think about it, I recall that they didn't have her ring size on the ship. The jeweler had a land store in Great Neck Long Island, had it made there, and shipped to us. If I can find the paperwork, I'll post back. Perhaps it will help OP.

I once bought a white gold and yellow gold Omega necklace onboard. Lady held it for me as we were docking in St. Thomas that day and I was looking there first but did not  find anything comparable  so when I got back onboard she still had it for me. Was quite inexpensive as the reason for it being discounted was because they were going to a different clasp. That was 2006 and I still wear it with different pendants. Last year on Silhouette I bought very expensive Bvlgari sunglasses they were 75% off and reason stated was not carrying the brand any longer.  Wish I'd bought the other pair could have sold them. Oh well. I always try to look for something different and unique.  Bought a Topaz ring in Tortolla once no time to size so had it sized at home faxed the company the bill and they credited me the cost.  That was from  Columbian Emeralds. 

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Can we agree , it’s “ Buyer Beware “ regarding whatever you buy or service you buy whether on land or a cruise?

It’s not the fault of the Shopping Center or the Cruise Company if things go “south “.

From what I’ve heard— Celebrity gets a “referral fee” from stores they “ promote “ throughout the cruise during port talks.

Again— Buyer Beware.

Absolutely! Stores know people are on vacation and do take advantage of them. Stores will likely never see these people again and will say whatever it takes to make that sale. Your hometown store knows that if things go south, they will be held accountable to make things right. Ship stores and Caribbean shops can make all the promises they want, but to get something resolved requires a trip to that store/ship which is thousands of miles fro where you are!

I always say....buy a bobble - a momento of your vacation - on vacation, but leave the major purchases to your hometown store.

And, yes absolutely, your Shore Shopper gets a commission from your purchases at the "recommended" stores. The "guarantee" that the cruise lines offers for purchases made at those stores is not worth the paper it's (not) written on! They won't stand by it, so yes, buyer beware....know prices at home, know what quality looks like and if the price is really cheap, so is the product!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

will say whatever it takes to make that sale.

LOL-- So true--- Reminds me:

We were on a cruise a few years ago and went into one of those stores selling all kinds of " junk ".

Ok, ok---- 5 Lacoste tshirts for $20 isn't " junk ".

( The Rolex (??) watches were hidden under the counter ).

Note: We were never at that store.

A salesman approached --- I looked at him and said --

" Hi, how are YOU---remember me ?? You told me a few months ago that you would have a " special discount " for us next time we come to the Island". 

" Of course I remember YOU-- You got it-- What Ya lookin for "?

Moral of the " story "---- A con ( Pinboy ) will always be out-conned by another con ( the salesman ).

14 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Absolutely! Stores know people are on vacation and do take advantage of them. Stores will likely never see these people again and will say whatever it takes to make that sale. Your hometown store knows that if things go south, they will be held accountable to make things right. Ship stores and Caribbean shops can make all the promises they want, but to get something resolved requires a trip to that store/ship which is thousands of miles fro where you are!

I always say....buy a bobble - a momento of your vacation - on vacation, but leave the major purchases to your hometown store.

And, yes absolutely, your Shore Shopper gets a commission from your purchases at the "recommended" stores. The "guarantee" that the cruise lines offers for purchases made at those stores is not worth the paper it's (not) written on! They won't stand by it, so yes, buyer beware....know prices at home, know what quality looks like and if the price is really cheap, so is the product!

Excellent advice. The cruise lines should be ashamed of the Shore Shopper model and be forced to advise passengers that they are paid shills for port retailers.  I am still upset when recalling a shore shopper manipulating an older couple at a Tanzanite International store to buy a sizeable Tanzanite stone (during her on board presentation she explained how 'rare' Tanzanite is and that supplies would soon be depleted).  A few weeks later I found a tanzanite of equal size and quality with platinum and diamond setting and necklace chain at a local jeweler for the same price that the shore shopper had negotiated for just the stone (she should have gotten an Oscar for her hard line act with the store owner).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

The cruise lines should be ashamed of the Shore Shopper model and be forced to advise passengers that they are paid shills for port retailers. 

" Shore Shopper " ??

Isn't that the " Cruise Director or Guest Relations Manager ??

(To achieve sales targets ----To provide presentations on the port and its facilities ).

Regarding the purchase of jewelry during a cruise, I think that it does have a purpose.  It serves as a memory of the cruise whenever the piece of jewelry is worn.  I just do not think that I would purchase a high dollar piece while on vacation.  I would want a local dealer to stand behind it's value, authenticity, and quality.

The same for the art auctions.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, itzfitz said:

On 11/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, itzfitz said:

I was on the Edge on its TA and bought a $300 bracelet that when I got home (it was in the jewelry bag they gave me) I took it out and it was in two pieces!

My question is this:  Is there any way to get it either replaced or repaired OR refunded.  Who should I contact at Celebrity?  If any one has experience with something like this, please let me know how it was resolved.

Why not just go to your local jewelry store and see how much it costs to repair. My granddaughter is always breaking her jewelry and they charge very little to repair it (we did not buy it there).
They also check my wifes rings for free while she is there.
Edited by southernbreezes

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Excellent advice. The cruise lines should be ashamed of the Shore Shopper model and be forced to advise passengers that they are paid shills for port retailers.  I am still upset when recalling a shore shopper manipulating an older couple at a Tanzanite International store to buy a sizeable Tanzanite stone (during her on board presentation she explained how 'rare' Tanzanite is and that supplies would soon be depleted).  A few weeks later I found a tanzanite of equal size and quality with platinum and diamond setting and necklace chain at a local jeweler for the same price that the shore shopper had negotiated for just the stone (she should have gotten an Oscar for her hard line act with the store owner).

I too have seen "questionable" dealings......like providing shots of tequila to the husband while wife is shopping!

@NMTravellerYou are 100% correct! I certainly don't want to say "never buy anything while you are on vacation"......quite the contrary! But I do espouse buying a bobble.....a memento......over something pricy. (Although I've been known to disobey my own rule from time to time! 😜)

16 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I too have seen "questionable" dealings......like providing shots of tequila to the husband while wife is shopping!

@NMTravellerYou are 100% correct! I certainly don't want to say "never buy anything while you are on vacation"......quite the contrary! But I do espouse buying a bobble.....a memento......over something pricy. (Although I've been known to disobey my own rule from time to time! 😜)

So have I.  In the onboard shops they give away lots of free sparkling wine to entice you to spend your money frivolously I'm sure there have been many purchases made that have been regretted.  I'm just a looker as I have all the nice jewelry I could possibly own. 

I love to shop in these stores onboard and listen to the garbage the sales staff tries to tell me.  Never buy anything they say is valuable as it probably is not.  When I want quality pieces I shop at home.  Buyer Beware!  Sorry you had a bod experience and hope they make it good on your next cruise.

4 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

I love to shop in these stores onboard and listen to the garbage the sales staff tries to tell me.  Never buy anything they say is valuable as it probably is not.  When I want quality pieces I shop at home.  Buyer Beware!  Sorry you had a bod experience and hope they make it good on your next cruise.

I remember a salesperson trying to sell me a very expensive tanzanite ring thousands of dollars worth and pretending to call his head office in New York to see if I could get a better price. Well I was in luck they were still open and a reduction of $10 000 was approved. I had a good laugh and a couple free glasses of sparkling.  Too bad it was a gorgeous ring at 38K. 

20 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Is it even possible to have TOO much jewelry?!?!?! 🤪

Probably not but go out as much now but I enjoy wearing them on vacation. I think I cruise as an excuse to wear nice jewelry. 😆