Advice for all first time Celebrity cruisers

WestLakeGirl

On 11/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, TMLAalum said:

If you follow me as I get on an escalator, you'd guess I came from a small town and you'd be wrong!

Maybe it's a leftover fear from riding those old wooden escalators in Macy's NYC!

Thanks for the great Macy"s flashback!!! Haven't been in the 34th Street NYC store in 48 years!!

• Like 1

I'll add another one to the mix...guests who stop short on the walking/running track without first moving to the side to get out of the way of the walkers/runners behind him/her/them.  Or, those that swing back and forth on the track as you are trying to pass...simple rule (for the Americans) slower traffic on the right and pass on the left.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I'll add another one to the mix...guests who stop short on the walking/running track without first moving to the side to get out of the way of the walkers/runners behind him/her/them.  Or, those that swing back and forth on the track as you are trying to pass...simple rule (for the Americans) slower traffic on the right and pass on the left.

but if you are from the UK it is pass on the right. the track is also for strolling and enjoying and is a 2 way . I like to walk fast but understand that this is not an exclusive area

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Or, those that swing back and forth on the track as you are trying to pass...simple rule (for the Americans) slower traffic on the right and pass on the left.

10 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

but if you are from the UK it is pass on the right. the track is also for strolling and enjoying and is a 2 way . I like to walk fast but understand that this is not an exclusive area

Learned from my downhill ski days that a loud "On your left" or "On your right" works equally well when approaching a slower walker, runner, etc. Helps the speedier one and the slower one both! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

Right on! One of the biggest reasons why I'm on the track NLT 6:00 AM and off NLT 7:30 AM.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Learned from my downhill ski days that a loud "On your left" or "On your right" works equally well when approaching a slower walker, runner, etc. Helps the speedier one and the slower one both! 

Agree. (gave up skiing in 2020)That's what I also do on the track or drag one of my heals that allows my shoe to make a high pitched screeching sound and that usually will get the slow poke or track hogger (side by side slow pokes) to move to one side or the other. 

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. (gave up skiing in 2020)That's what I also do on the track or drag one of my heals that allows my shoe to make a high pitched screeching sound and that usually will get the slow poke or track hogger (side by side slow pokes) to move to one side or the other. 

I concur with all responses to my post and let me just add that when I do say, "on your left" many people will actually go to their left😀.  Also, the track is for everyone, that's why it's important to respect others and realize that someone may be behind, or next to you, and be aware of your surroundings.  Cruise on friends!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

will work with some, but my DH who is on the track often. he and many others are hearing impaired. Loud does not work in a group as some have no idea who is being addressed

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, peanut head said:

Should also mention that the preferred direction is to walk counter clockwise.  (Up and forward on the starboard side, down and aft on the port side).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

will work with some, but my DH who is on the track often. he and many others are hearing impaired. Loud does not work in a group as some have no idea who is being addressed

And just how do you know that? 

Edited by davekathy

19 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Same in Japan, passing on the right - even on escalators!

On 11/15/2022 at 3:11 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

This has always been my theory.

Same with the "one bell up, two down". It is the same on all cruise ship elevators, always has been.

Just pay attention, people. Listen for the dings, or look at the arrow.

No need to ask "going up?" every time the elevator door opens. 

This is an industry standard, it's the set up in modern office buildings. 

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

look at the age of most Celebrity cruisers. Hearing aides are common . They work well except in the wind. I can't even talk to my DH when walking beside him on the track

Sounds like an assumption. Do you wear them? My wife doesn't and were both in our 70s.  I do but wearing hearing aids has nothing to do with my age. I never wear them when doing outside activities. Everyone (young, old, in between and those that don't speak English) I approach and I want to pass I say in my outside voice "passing you on your..." and everyone has always heard me and moves over. As I fly by (speed/power walker) I always say thank you and they always say your welcome or a thumbs up. I do the same when a runner wants to pass me if I happen to be in their lane.  

Back to the topic, if you bring your kids the hallways are not their playground for running and jumping. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Sounds like an assumption. Do you wear them? My wife doesn't and were both in our 70s.  I do but wearing hearing aids has nothing to do with my age. I never wear them when doing outside activities. Everyone (young, old, in between and those that don't speak English) I approach and I want to pass I say in my outside voice "passing you on your..." and everyone has always heard me and moves over. As I fly by (speed/power walker) I always say thank you and they always say your welcome or a thumbs up. I do the same when a runner wants to pass me if I happen to be in their lane.  

Back to the topic, if you bring your kids the hallways are not their playground for running and jumping. 

I don't need them but many people we know do. The 'everyone' would not be my husband ., sadly would not hear. It has caused problems. Not fun being yelled at in a nasty way when you don't respond. How fortunate that you can get along without yours when outdoors. We just need to remember not to judge  as many handicaps are hidden

On 11/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, hrhdhd said:

Look at the arrows.

Yeah, I just look at what light goes out on the buttons in conjunction with the arrows. I did not know about the dings though.  You always let people exit first.  Although that may not be the rule all over the world. I tend to give people a bit of slack when the crowd is composed of both Americans and non. 

On 11/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, Pinboy said:

OR-- If ya see feet first-- it's going down

OR-- If ya see heads first-- it's going up

Or-- If ya don't see nothin -- it means " your choice" -- unless the last person on pushed all the buttons to take you for a ride. 

This only works for the glass ones.

23 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Except that now everyone is wearing headphones and doesn't hear you coming half the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Except that now everyone is wearing headphones and doesn't hear you coming half the time.

One of the sentence prompts on a test of writing skills I administer in my profession is:

"Write a good sentence that tells why it is dangerous to wear headphones when you ride your bike down a busy street." 

Maybe not as dangerous as the above, but Danger, Danger could apply to wearing headphones on a busy Celebrity walking/running track. I'd suggest that Celebrity should post rules for using the track, e.g. keep right except to pass, single file, etc. but we all know how well rules work for chair hogs.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

One of the sentence prompts on a test of writing skills I administer in my profession is:

"Write a good sentence that tells why it is dangerous to wear headphones when you ride your bike down a busy street." 

Maybe not as dangerous as the above, but Danger, Danger could apply to wearing headphones on a busy Celebrity walking/running track. I'd suggest that Celebrity should post rules for using the track, e.g. keep right except to pass, single file, etc. but we all know how well rules work for chair hogs.

Me and my husband like to walk round side by side at a pace we choose, sometimes rapid, others very leisurely, we are on holiday after all. In other words please no more rules. We move out of the way quickly when requested. And if people are really that irked by slower walkers or runners, I am reliably told that people can’t get in the way on the running or walking machines in the gym 👍

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Me and my husband like to walk round side by side at a pace we choose, sometimes rapid, others very leisurely, we are on holiday after all. In other words please no more rules. We move out of the way quickly when requested. And if people are really that irked by slower walkers or runners, I am reliably told that people can’t get in the way on the running or walking machines in the gym 👍

Are you speaking from personal experiences due to that's where your reliable source told you to go. 🤣👍👍

• Haha 1