would love to do a TA but airfare back to US crazy.

LB_NJ

22 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Any thoughts on how to get lower priced 1-way Europe to US airfare?

Air2Sea had outstanding price on my one way flight to EWR from Amsterdam in 2019. I called Air2Sea earlier this year for the same or similar flight in 2023. I was surprised that the prices they quoted were higher than I found online

• Like 1

Any reason you want to do EB TA? Personally, I'd rather do the long flight on the front end, and the short flight at the end of my vacation.

Had WB Allure TA booked for after her amplification, of course we all know what happened to that....

• Like 2

I use miles award tickets.  Don't have a mileage card?  Get one.  The initial bonus alone will generally cover at least 2 economy class tickets.

Agree with @RobInMN.  Westbound is much nicer with gaining an hour 6 times rather than losing it.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Air2Sea had outstanding price on my one way flight to EWR from Amsterdam in 2019. I called Air2Sea earlier this year for the same or similar flight in 2023. I was surprised that the prices they quoted were higher than I found online

Tried air2sea.  Prices were not great.

6 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Any reason you want to do EB TA? Personally, I'd rather do the long flight on the front end, and the short flight at the end of my vacation.

Had WB Allure TA booked for after her amplification, of course we all know what happened to that....

It is a repositioning cruise so US to Europe in the spring, then I need to get home.

5 hours ago, exm said:

Look for a round-trip ticket, and then simply don't use the return ticket.

This is absolutely true for some flights. I happened to price out London to NY and one way $1700, rnd trp $600.  However, now looking at Rome and one way is about the same price as round trip so no real savings.

10 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Last May took Portuguese TAP business class back to Toronto from Rome and was cheaper than Air Canada economy. This coming May found very reasonable Air Canada to Toronto from Heath Row. If you are going to the US , you can fly almost anywhere in the US from Toronto on several airlines. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Exactly,,, We have done both and I prefer Westbound SO much more..   Get the long flight out of the way, spend the next week visiting different ports and then ENJOY the 4-5 days of relaxation crossing the Atlantic.  

• Like 4

Try google's flight search site.  And be flexible, it might be a lot cheaper to fly into a major international airport (like JFK or Miami) and ad a second leg than to try to book all the way through.  Look out for the "basic economy" type fares, they can be killers by the time you get done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, as3369 said:

Exactly,,, We have done both and I prefer Westbound SO much more..   Get the long flight out of the way, spend the next week visiting different ports and then ENJOY the 4-5 days of relaxation crossing the Atlantic.  

We were actually considering doing a WB TA in Fall 2024 but Royal changed the end port for the ship we wanted. We really wanted to do the WB for all the reasons everyone is suggesting. Unfortunately the stars don't always align the way we want and we need to take what is offered.

20 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Have you quoted all 3 int'l airports.  EWR, JFK & PHL.  I've flown to Barcelona from all 3 airports.  Many times, I've found some real savings.

Also, try connecting/non-direct flight.

• Like 1

Re which direction to choose:  We always do eastbound.  I stress enough about flying to Florida for departure, even with going at least one day early.  The TA part gets us nice and rested for the Med ports.  After the grueling flights home at the end, we can recover at home.

If we did westbound, I don't think the stress of flying there would be worth it to us, and then with jet lag we wouldn't be able to enjoy the first few days in Europe, nor the port days there.

We don't mind the few shorter days.  Either way, the body and brain adjust appropriately.

Obviously we are all different.