Norwegian Breakaway Current Sailing- BEWARE

On the current 14 night Cruise to New Orleans, some major issues with only 2500 total on board and only 40 Kids...Medical is swamped daily with passengers coughing and feeeling congested. Numerous cases of pneumonia documented, includung my Wife who visited Medical three days in a row and now have a medical bill for over $9,000. She was not admitted, just treated for pneumonia with no issues at all before we boarded in NYC.  Per CD, over 4500 including 1,000 children this coming Sunday... Bring meds and have Travel Insurance with Medical Rider Policy...The Ship will be iver 4,000 through the New Year...Can't imagine since there are only 2500 currently and there is no space or loungers now...Good Luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is flu season and New Jersey is one of six states that the CDC rates with the highest number of cases (Very High incidents). Lots of coughing and congested people everywhere you go (especially on planes). 

I know it's no longer mandated but I wouldn't dream of boarding a ship without the latest COVID booster and flu shot.  I got both about 2 weeks before my sailing and added the Prevnar 20 for good measure 🙂  And OP is absolutely correct about having trip insurance with generous medical limits.

As much as I love cruising, viruses are always going to be a hazard.  I know there's no absolute guarantee, even with all the shots, but I choose to mitigate the risk as much as possible.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to the author.  Here are some thoughts that might assist some.  Not for everyone but learned from years of cruising.

1. I am Traveling on the Breakaway in Two Weeks:  Before I make comments, I do have skin in this game.  My wife and I are on the Breakaway on December 4 sailing in two weeks.  
  2. Breakaway with 4,000 guests:  This is the way it used to be.  This is why area's the Haven and the Vibe Beach Club Exist.  I was on the NCL Joy in the Haven when the ship was at 50%.  It was the perfect amount of people yet the Haven was sold out.  This made the Haven Sundeck over crowded.  I than went on the Joy as a Solo three months later and it was 85% booked.  You could not find a lounge chair by the pool, yet the Vibe Beach Club was never crowded. 
  3. Strategy: My sailing will be very crowded.  That was confirmed many times because it is when the Finals for the Slot Tournament will happen. My experience told me, "Get a Cabana in the Vibe Beach Club" Pre-Cruise; Do your Specialty Restaurant Reservations at 125 days prior; Make Show reservations as soon as they are available and or you get on board; If you want an excursion, book it pre-cruise; HAVE REALLY GOOD CRUISE TRAVEL/HEALTH INSURANCE. 
  4. Find Your Favorite Bar: Find you bar and bartender you like the best and tip them upfront. When capacity is high, the bars are crowded because everyone has a drink package.  The best and easiest bars to get a drink are the Vibe Beach Club, the A-List when it is open, the Haven Bar if you are in the Haven, the bars in the Observation decks. 
  5. Health Concerns:  I will make no comments about vaccinations or booster other than it is a personal choice.  My is to have them all, plus the flu vaccine.  Since not everyone is of my mindset, my strategy onboard will be a bit more careful.  All I say is use good business judgement. 

Cruising with a high guest count is different from lower counts.  Just think it through. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

Useful and informative alert as heads up for anyone cruising this winter season, anywhere & any cruise ships ... and flying for that matter.  

A good surgical or face masks, inexpensive if you no longer stock KN95, KF94 or N95 filter masks, is good protection against most airborne elements ... along with proper hand hygiene, we called it part of our total infection control measures in the healthcare sector.  One doesn't have to like it, but ... just do it and no need to thank anyone else.  If not, feel free to do whatever, it's freestyle cruising afterall, for your convenience.  And, yes, global travel & medical insurance - never needed or important until you realized you did obtain it.  

Happy travel, cruising & safe Thanksgiving to all on CC.  

• Like 5

^^^^

Totally agree, Gary and Henry.  Good posts!

Two things jump out at me.

First, it is indeed flu season, and regardless of how many precautions the cruise lines make, some people are going to "fudge" their health questionnaire and not disclose they may be ill, which is a real shame.

Second, health facilities on a cruise ship are not, and never were, cost competitive with land based health care.  One should check to see what their personal health insurance does or doesn't cover prior to boarding.  Be it on a ship or in a foreign country, many insurance companies limit, and even disallow medical bills outside of one's home country.

Travel insurance should cover these bills, however.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:
  1. Find Your Favorite Bar: Find you bar and bartender you like the best and tip them upfront. When capacity is high, the bars are crowded because everyone has a drink package.  The best and easiest bars to get a drink are the Vibe Beach Club, the A-List when it is open, the Haven Bar if you are in the Haven, the bars in the Observation decks. 
  2. Health Concerns:  I will make no comments about vaccinations or booster other than it is a personal choice.  My is to have them all, plus the flu vaccine.  Since not everyone is of my mindset, my strategy onboard will be a bit more careful.  All I say is use good business judgement. 

Absolutely agree with Point 1.  When I was on the Bliss, the Observation Lounge was my favorite, because it was a giant circular bar which was good for socializing.  More recently, on the Joy, the OL didn't have a sit down bar so I rarely spent time there.  Point being, from cruise to cruise, my favorite bar changes but I usually focus on one or two places.  It's nice when you build up a bit of a rapport with the bartenders (I also tip them up front though I know that's also a point of contention.)

Agree it isn't going to be productive to debate vaccines.  People have different opinions even within my circle of family/friends, let alone random cruisers.  We all have our own risk tolerance and reasonably know that we may encounter sick, even if asymptomatic, people onboard.  While I'm vaxxed to the hilt, I choose not to wear a mask unless mandated (though happy to wear one when it is.  I'm not gonna be That Guy.) 🙂   YMMV.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I know it's no longer mandated but I wouldn't dream of boarding a ship without the latest COVID booster and flu shot.  I got both about 2 weeks before my sailing and added the Prevnar 20 for good measure 🙂  And OP is absolutely correct about having trip insurance with generous medical limits.

As much as I love cruising, viruses are always going to be a hazard.  I know there's no absolute guarantee, even with all the shots, but I choose to mitigate the risk as much as possible.  

I just returned from a cruise Oct 22. Up to date on all my Covid boosters (including Omicron variant), but I still ended up with Covid. Didn't know I had it. No symptoms at all. So yes, you can get it even with all the necessary shots. Just completed a series of vaccinations for an international cruise early next year. And we always get insurance. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toledo_cruiser said:

I just returned from a cruise Oct 22. Up to date on all my Covid boosters (including Omicron variant), but I still ended up with Covid. Didn't know I had it. No symptoms at all. So yes, you can get it even with all the necessary shots. Just completed a series of vaccinations for an international cruise early next year. And we always get insurance. 

Totally.  Friends who travelled with me, both fully vaxxed, got it.  There are no guarantees unless you want to live in a bubble.  But you take the risks you're comfortable with, mitigate them as best you can,  and hope for the best.  And, on the brighter side, the virus today isn't quite as lethal (relatively speaking) as the 2020 strain.

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

GeoBlue is a good health care only travel insurance.  $100,000 policy, $100 deductable, two people in their mid seventies: $248.40

I've used GeoBlue for a non-cruise vacation.  It's a good value and a reputable company.  For my next cruise, because I wanted more than just medical, I got the iTravelInsured policy which for 3 people was $151 (2 are mid 20's, I'm mid 50's.)  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I've used GeoBlue for a non-cruise vacation.  It's a good value and a reputable company.  For my next cruise, because I wanted more than just medical, I got the iTravelInsured policy which for 3 people was $151 (2 are mid 20's, I'm mid 50's.)  

But 151 for 3 people is a single trip policy, right?  We got the Geo Blue annual essential plan for 500,000 of coverage and 250,000 of evacuation for 250 for the two of us.  Have not had to place a claim thank goodness, but the piece of mind is great.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the warning.  I will definitely pack more vitamin C, masks, disinfecting wipes, etc.  Even when cruising in the summer. 

I spread out my expenses months ahead of time, so it's good to add these things now to my packing and shopping lists. 

And I will carry extra medical insurance for sure. 

34 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But 151 for 3 people is a single trip policy, right?  We got the Geo Blue annual essential plan for 500,000 of coverage and 250,000 of evacuation for 250 for the two of us.  Have not had to place a claim thank goodness, but the piece of mind is great.

Mine was a single trip but it covers more than just the medical aspect.  I'm usually on an international vacation, whether cruise or land-based, for about one week per year so an annual policy doesn't do much for me.  As I mentioned, I've used GeoBlue, I know the parent company (which is based in the next town over from me) and I'd trust them implicitly.  It just wasn't the right fit for me, this time.

4 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Mine was a single trip but it covers more than just the medical aspect.  I'm usually on an international vacation, whether cruise or land-based, for about one week per year so an annual policy doesn't do much for me.  As I mentioned, I've used GeoBlue, I know the parent company (which is based in the next town over from me) and I'd trust them implicitly.  It just wasn't the right fit for me, this time.

Just wanted to clarify in case some readers were contemplating getting insurance based upon what they're reading here.  Covid forced my DH into an early retirement so we have substantially increased our cruising from 14 nights per year to 78 this year and 86 in 2023.  The annual policy makes logical sense to us and streamlining it to medical and evacuation only also makes it much more financially feasible than an all encompassing policy.

• Like 1

I just want to add a note about medical treatment onboard NCL.  Of course, when we are sick we absolutely want whatever treatment or tests necessary to diagnose and address our conditions. That said,  PLEASE be careful and review your treatment plan carefully with the NCL doctor.

I was just on the Joy in October and had a terrible cough (btw, double-vaxxed and double-boosted here and this sailing required everyone to test for Covid before boarding.)  I really thought I just had bronchitis (tested negative in my cabin on a self-test) but I had neglected to bring an inhaler so I headed to medical. 

The symptoms I reported to the doctor were coughing (very evident lol), sore throat, runny nose, headache and fatigue. I had no fever. The doctor listened to my lungs and told me she wanted to run some tests. I let her know that I wanted to review any plan before consenting. She came back with a $3K estimate!  I started to go through each line with her to have her explain the plan. Included were cardiac enzyme blood work (to determine if I'd had a heart attack??), EKG (same reason??), kidney and liver function tests (why??) and more things that made no sense.  At first it made me very nervous that she was checking me for a heart attack, so I asked her what it was that she heard in my lungs that made her suspect I might have had a heart attack. She said she heard congestion consistent with a lower respiratory infection. So I further questioned her about the heart tests and she said that I had told her I had chest pain (I NEVER ONCE mentioned anything about chest pain.)  She said the kidney and liver panel tests were to rule out kidney failure in case she had to prescribe antibiotics.  I shared with her my CBC blood test results from 10 days prior that I had on my Labcorp app (results normal) and she said well there's always a chance it could have changed in the past week.

Needless to say the only thing I authorized was regular blood work (to check for signs infection) and a Covid PCR test.  The Covid test was negative and she prescribed a nebulizer treatment and a Z-pack. My total bill was $900 including the meds.  I never wound up getting the inhaler because she wanted $300 for it. I asked her why it was so expensive and she said because they had a limited supply.  I knew I would be home in 2 days and that I had prescription inhalers at my house so I skipped it.

So, I survived without the recommended $3K of tests.  (However, I did test positive for Covid two days later when I got home.)

Bottom line, make sure you know what you are going to pay for before you sign anything. And don't be afraid to question or refuse any tests or procedures that seem excessive!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I just want to add a note about medical treatment onboard NCL.  Of course, when we are sick we absolutely want whatever treatment or tests necessary to diagnose and address our conditions. That said,  PLEASE be careful and review your treatment plan carefully with the NCL doctor.

I was just on the Joy in October and had a terrible cough (btw, double-vaxxed and double-boosted here and this sailing required everyone to test for Covid before boarding.)  I really thought I just had bronchitis (tested negative in my cabin on a self-test) but I had neglected to bring an inhaler so I headed to medical. 

The symptoms I reported to the doctor were coughing (very evident lol), sore throat, runny nose, headache and fatigue. I had no fever. The doctor listened to my lungs and told me she wanted to run some tests. I let her know that I wanted to review any plan before consenting. She came back with a $3K estimate!  I started to go through each line with her to have her explain the plan. Included were cardiac enzyme blood work (to determine if I'd had a heart attack??), EKG (same reason??), kidney and liver function tests (why??) and more things that made no sense.  At first it made me very nervous that she was checking me for a heart attack, so I asked her what it was that she heard in my lungs that made her suspect I might have had a heart attack. She said she heard congestion consistent with a lower respiratory infection. So I further questioned her about the heart tests and she said that I had told her I had chest pain (I NEVER ONCE mentioned anything about chest pain.)  She said the kidney and liver panel tests were to rule out kidney failure in case she had to prescribe antibiotics.  I shared with her my CBC blood test results from 10 days prior that I had on my Labcorp app (results normal) and she said well there's always a chance it could have changed in the past week.

Needless to say the only thing I authorized was regular blood work (to check for signs infection) and a Covid PCR test.  The Covid test was negative and she prescribed a nebulizer treatment and a Z-pack. My total bill was $900 including the meds.  I never wound up getting the inhaler because she wanted $300 for it. I asked her why it was so expensive and she said because they had a limited supply.  I knew I would be home in 2 days and that I had prescription inhalers at my house so I skipped it.

So, I survived without the recommended $3K of tests.  (However, I did test positive for Covid two days later when I got home.)

Bottom line, make sure you know what you are going to pay for before you sign anything. And don't be afraid to question or refuse any tests or procedures that seem excessive!

The average cost of an inhaler is around $300 if not covered by insurance.

19 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I realize that, but it was a very fair price.

I think the $900 total bill including medication (e.g. Z-pack was just $121) AND nebulizer treatments was a fair price as well.  I DON'T think that the suggested $3,000 worth of tests (no meds or treatments included) was warranted. I'm super happy I looked at it closely before signing the consent. I think everyone should do the same!

PS   Since I only pay $10 for my Albuterol inhalers with insurance you had me curious about the actual retail price without insurance. A quick web search shows it's about $30-$50 in NJ.  Not sure where you are located but $300 is actually excessive for that med.

Edited by pcakes122