Azura noravirus

LinniB

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Rule 1: Never, ever use the buffet.  🤮

We haven't  used the buffet for years since we saw a "lady" picking rolls and squeezing them  ( possibly to decide which was the softest ) and none of the staff challenged her.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Understand where your coming from H , to be fair we eat early so for breakfast we are through soon as it opens . Never would I use it in the morning rush hour .

Dinner in the main dining room most of the time.

One of the scariest things was watching four people at the Grab and Go taking sandwiches out of the cabinet .One lady tucked one under her armpit whilst examining another two she had taken out before putting a couple back in the cabinet . Not for us thank you.

I heard whispers that the Grab and Go ,is to be discontinued and going on what I saw ,it won't be missed by me.

It's not been open on either our June cruise on Britannia or October on Iona.  Whether or not it will return is equally as unknown as the return of the evening turn down service.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's not been open on either our June cruise on Britannia or October on Iona.  Whether or not it will return is equally as unknown as the return of the evening turn down service.

TBH, not too bothered about either, but they could pop a couple of chocolates on the pillow.🤣

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

And the button on the pedestrian crossing. Can't be too paranoid Harry. DW has a little bottle of sanitizer that we pinched from Cebrity.  I wonder if she sanitizes the bottle?.🤔

I did spot a Russian couple on Azura once, making quite a big thing about sanitising the sanitiser bottle (s) - they had a range of them:

image.png.560bb785be7e6ec72553b198e1ada8fa.png

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

We have always used the buffet, never had norovirus in 12 years of cruising.  Maybe some folk are more susceptible than others?

We now always use the buffet for a breakfast, some lunches and an occasional dinner, and never been affected by Noro over a similar period.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We have always used the buffet, never had norovirus in 12 years of cruising.  Maybe some folk are more susceptible than others?

I have had Norovirus twice, once the day following returning home from a cruise, it’s not pleasant and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

My brother runs a cleaning company, from time to time he has had to clean medical centres or similar where an outbreak has occurred, given the virus can survive on surfaces for a long period he needs to be very thorough in the cleaning regime. It can take his team a day or more to clean a building to ensure everything is clean, he says there is no way a cruise ship can eliminate the virus on surfaces in the turnaround time they operate in. In a recent case he hired in fogging equipment which reaches hard to reach places and and enhances manual cleaning, I understand that some cruise lines have been trialling this method. 

The MCA are aware of the issue in ensuring that cruises ships are as safe as possible in respect of hygiene and they have recognised the insurance issue in their documentation on dealing with Norovirus, extracted below.

“Clearly there would be considerable benefits in screening out passengers who are suffering from an episode of Norovirus. Certainly symptomatic individuals should be identified and prevented from coming aboard. There is an insurance issue here and perhaps the industry could consider an offer of an alternative holiday at some future date to encourage honest reporting.”

Some bedtime reading!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/362998/2007_guideline_norovirus_cruiseships.pdf

• Like 1

We use the buffet for breakfast, don’t want to jinx it but we’ve been fine. Funnily enough the only time we’ve been on a ship with Noro was Azura but we didn’t get ill.

It did make me aware of lift buttons though and ever since I’ve used my knuckle on them and things like pedestrian crossing buttons! And this was way before the dreaded c! 2015. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

We use the buffet for breakfast, don’t want to jinx it but we’ve been fine. Funnily enough the only time we’ve been on a ship with Noro was Azura but we didn’t get ill.

It did make me aware of lift buttons though and ever since I’ve used my knuckle on them and things like pedestrian crossing buttons! And this was way before the dreaded c! 2015. 

If able, use your elbow.   Not many people can touch their faces with them afterwards.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We used to use those - then the question was what to do with the potentially infectious key! 

We dropped them in domestos overnight, the question then is what do you do with the infected domestos? 🤔

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

We dropped them in domestos overnight, the question then is what do you do with the infected domestos? 🤔

Most people just stick them in their pocket or handbag, thus negating the whole point of the things! Useful, of course, for a lot more than Covid. You need a supply of them, a bucket of bleach, and a small trolley to cart it all around on. 

Raises no eyebrows at all on cruise ships, provided of course you’re wearing appropriate formal wear on formal nights.

• Haha 5

On 11/27/2022 at 3:18 PM, Snow Hill said:

Spray everything with domestos before you touch it. Particularly when shaking hands, or kissing granny's cheek.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Trouble is the anti-bac hand sanitizers are no good against noro.  You need an antiviral.

I use the blue rubber gloves that I pinch from the  filling station. I Don't throw them away, but turn them inside out for next time.🤔

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Trouble is the anti-bac hand sanitizers are no good against noro.  You need an antiviral.

Incorrect the Purell they use has been anti-viral for several years.