P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire

Cpot

11 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

This all reminds me of witches and the ducking stools. Drown and you were not a witch, survive and you were and you were then burnt at the stake. Come clean on you have had a cough, lose your cruise and maybe all your money. Lie and pass something on to fellow passengers who are then isolated and have a ruined cruise. Seriously this situation needs sorting between cruise lines and insurance companies. But it won't be as with the wishy washy terms and conditions laid out by the Insurance companies and the shameful way people who pay Select Prices which state they can choose a cabin are being shuffled to other parts of the ship because P&O can't decide which cabins they want to use for isolation and keep chopping and changing. 

Seems P&O do read these threads.

20221011_165615.jpg

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Crikey even I find that draconian!  I cough regularly since my brush with cv in March/April.  Whilst I'm happy to chat with medical staff and be examined I'd be very unhappy at being treated like I have something to hide. 

As I've stated elsewhere it is my intention to take a certified covid test before each cruise I'm taking so that hopefully any refused boarding is backed up by a medical document.  For the time being those results are my financial security.

Perhaps P&O should make it clear on their we strongly advise you take a test page that if no certified positive test is available you run the risk your insurer may not cover you.  At least it would be a start.

Oops, missed the emoji off the end 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Crikey even I find that draconian!  I cough regularly since my brush with cv in March/April.  Whilst I'm happy to chat with medical staff and be examined I'd be very unhappy at being treated like I have something to hide. 

As I've stated elsewhere it is my intention to take a certified covid test before each cruise I'm taking so that hopefully any refused boarding is backed up by a medical document.  For the time being those results are my financial security.

Perhaps P&O should make it clear on their we strongly advise you take a test page that if no certified positive test is available you run the risk your insurer may not cover you.  At least it would be a start.

Megabear2  Some are taking my post the wrong way. My point was that if someone admits to a cough and is refused boarding then anyone who coughs or sneezes in the terminal should also be banned in fairness. What is the difference between someone who admits a cough and someone who openly HAS a cough but did not admit it?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Megabear2  Some are taking my post the wrong way. My point was that if someone admits to a cough and is refused boarding then anyone who coughs or sneezes in the terminal should also be banned in fairness. What is the difference between someone who admits a cough and someone who openly HAS a cough but did not admit it?

While I think there is some merit in observation and a possible question at the terminal, which as I said I'd personally be happy with, many others would not be happy with that approach.  The suggestion earlier that anyone seen coughing or whatever could be asked to take an onsite test also seems reasonable and would fit with Moley's suggestion of random testing.

I believe P&O are very happy with the muddy waters and as long as they don't get caught out they won't do much to change things.  I believe unless people like you and the OP challenge them either legally or via ABTA, consumer groups or social media they will just try to ride it out.

As ever I'm charging in demanding a fair deal for all but truthfully I normally end up fighting the battle alone as there's a serious public aversion to "getting involved".  This reluctance is why these companies get away with so many things I'm afraid.  I note you say you are going to pursue your case, I hope so and wish you every luck.  Unfortunately until they find themselves in the position and are staring down the barrel of the gun most people really have no idea what is likely to happen.  

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Agree they only stop you boarding if you admit to cough on health declaration which is why many will no longer be truthful. On our recent cruise a couple boarded the coach with their daughter aged 20 or so. She coughed all the way to Southampton and it was a chesty heavy cough. I had a mask on many didn't however more put them on. She continued coughing loudly in the terminal however as far as I am aware no one approached her and she boarded. She happened to sit near us at sail away still coughing, a few moved away but I thought too late if she's ill we've already been infected. You can't tell me no one noticed in the terminal they just chose to ignore it. No doubt she answered no to a cough on the health declaration.

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Travellers on P&O and Cunard are affected by this issue and ABTA have commented unofficially that this is clearly a policy to tie in with Carnival, the US parent company, of removing all restrictions.  Ironically buried in the US and Australian terms of Cunard is a requirement for them to pay FCC to affected guests with US or Australian bookings.

I suspect that it is true that its a Corporation wide change to stop offering FCC, especially if you've listened to the recent earnings call.

The difference is that in some countries, you can't insist on travel insurance therefore the booking terms and more importantly cancellation terms tend to me more flexible. P&O and Cunard have for a long time had UK specific booking terms.

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I suspect that it is true that its a Corporation wide change to stop offering FCC, especially if you've listened to the recent earnings call.

The difference is that in some countries, you can't insist on travel insurance therefore the booking terms and more importantly cancellation terms tend to me more flexible. P&O and Cunard have for a long time had UK specific booking terms.

All well and good if it's an insurable risk.  As we know a lot of this isn't.  If P&O/Cunard spoke to the insurers they might actually understand that the issue is pretty major for the passenger.  Bit like asking them to put their hand in the fire to see if it's hot!

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

One additional thought. Covid testing is no longer the answer to this. P&Os terms are trying to stop anyone with a short term illness getting on board.

Is that -your personal view or stated company policy?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I can confirm that ABTA are extremely interested in this following my conversation with them.  I am currently in discussions with them, Holiday Extras and supposedly P&O.  I am due a reply from the latter next week.  

If a suitable reply is not forthcoming in that reply I am instructed to make a formal complaint to ABTA and also the ASA as it is blatantly clear that the advertising is incorrect and misleading.  I personally would go so far as to suggest fraudulent as they must be aware the policies do not cover these risks - I've spoken to 14 insurers with the same reply.

Travellers on P&O and Cunard are affected by this issue and ABTA have commented unofficially that this is clearly a policy to tie in with Carnival, the US parent company, of removing all restrictions.  Ironically buried in the US and Australian terms of Cunard is a requirement for them to pay FCC to affected guests with US or Australian bookings.

If, as I suspect, P&O try to cut some deal with me which unfortunately they have tried previously, I intend on this occasion to refuse.  I have put them on notice I will be contacting various consumer agencies on the issue if they do not sort the issue for all travellers, not just individuals.

To the OP I suggest lodging a complaint with ABTA immediately as there is nothing to best lost in raising the issue - the more the merrier! I would also suggest taking the issue up with any legal entity you may have access to - check free home insurance free legal lines, credit card legal help and any work or union related help lines.  Definitely don't let it go unchallenged.  

If you need "proof" of the insurance issue, please refer to the Holiday Extras thread I started where Adam Edinburgh's reply on what his company will not cover is posted.

I have a swaive of material on this issue!   If you want to contact me direct let me know - I'm not sure if this site allows personal contact but I'm sure we can find a way.

To everyone else  including those who have said it's an okay policy, I can assure you it's not according to the governing body of travel.

im confused. What is an okay policy that’s not? Holiday extras?

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

im confused. What is an okay policy that’s not? Holiday extras?

I'm afraid that Holiday Extras also don't offer the cover. Basically as it stands you cannot insure for refused boarding unless you have a positive covid test.   The UK travel insurance market does not offer the cover P&O suggest and if you are refused boarding you're looking at a long and difficult argument to recover your money I'm afraid.

Another question. 
Say I was fine but then a week into my cruise I felt poorly- can the staff actually make you go to medical and covid test you then quarantine you or really is it a case of “ah it’s probably a cold think nothing of it” and carry on my day. 

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm afraid that Holiday Extras also don't offer the cover. Basically as it stands you cannot insure for refused boarding unless you have a positive covid test.   The UK travel insurance market does not offer the cover P&O suggest and if you are refused boarding you're looking at a long and difficult argument to recover your money I'm afraid.

well why are they telling us to buy holiday extras insurance if it doesn’t cover everything we need. I would class that as missell. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Another question. 
Say I was fine but then a week into my cruise I felt poorly- can the staff actually make you go to medical and covid test you then quarantine you or really is it a case of “ah it’s probably a cold think nothing of it” and carry on my day. 

The answer is how long is a piece of string!  Many do not report they feel unwell, there's technically no testing so you'd not be challenged unless identified as a close contact.   Those that have been honest and reported themselves haven't had the best of times either personally or financially.

9 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

well why are they telling us to buy holiday extras insurance if it doesn’t cover everything we need. I would class that as missell. 

Yep.  Now you're on the right hymn sheet.  There is NO insurer who covers this issue without a positive test.  The OP is not the first to have this happen to them.  

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The answer is how long is a piece of string!  Many do not report they feel unwell, there's technically no testing so you'd not be challenged unless identified as a close contact.   Those that have been honest and reported themselves haven't had the best of times either personally or financially.

All fun and games then. 

well you don’t keep the kids off for it any more and it’s normal sick policy at work (which screws you over anyway) so it’s more or less get on with it now then. 

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

All fun and games then. 

well you don’t keep the kids off for it any more and it’s normal sick policy at work (which screws you over anyway) so it’s more or less get on with it now then. 

Do remember that other countries don't have the same policies so there is still a risk you can be offloaded. The "getting on with it" can unfortunately change.  There's no cover for quarantine unless you have a positive test either. 

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Another question. 

Unless you actually ask to have a test, how would the staff know ?

Rightly or wrongly,  the current P&O policy encourages people to keep quiet if they suspect they may have  Covid.

• Like 4

It seems very wrong that P&O can cancel a cruise with no right of appeal, and for an event that may not even be insurable.

However, once on board, going by things that I’ve read, people can be hacking up a lung with a Covid type cough, and it’s completely ignored by the crew.

They are draconian before the cruise, yet turn a blind eye once everyone is onboard. Makes no sense.

I’ve been thinking for a while that I’m ‘done’ with P&O, and experiences as described by the original poster do nothing to make me reconsider 

• Like 5

How are they handling it now if you've shared a dining table with strangers and someone on the table tests positive for covid? Are there still making you quarantine? What about if someone on the coach to the port tests positive? Are they still quarantining or turning away anyone on the coach?

3 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

How are they handling it now if you've shared a dining table with strangers and someone on the table tests positive for covid? Are there still making you quarantine? What about if someone on the coach to the port tests positive? Are they still quarantining or turning away anyone on the coach?

They will not test positive as  they will lie. There are no tests....you do not need one....you just lie and say you have had a negative one. Even if you are coughing your guts up they will do nothing as has been proven.