P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire

Cpot

I have been reading this with interest.  My husband has a cough, medically related and has had it for a number of years before covid even exsisted.  Which means that on the above basis we had better cancel all our cruises and will never be allowed to cruise with P&O again, until they change their policy.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have been reading this with interest.  My husband has a cough, medically related and has had it for a number of years before covid even exsisted.  Which means that on the above basis we had better cancel all our cruises and will never be allowed to cruise with P&O again, until they change their policy.

The suggestion I’ve been given for such a situation is…. If he has a defacto permanent cough, suggest you complete the accessibility / medical form.

If they try to cancel you then, shout discrimination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The suggestion I’ve been given for such a situation is…. If he has a defacto permanent cough, suggest you complete the accessibility / medical form.

If they try to cancel you then, shout discrimination.

Or if they're ignoring all the coughing anyway, just lie on the questionnaire because they won't give a damn once you're onboard according to those who've just sailed or are sailing.

Jeepers what a mess they're creating ...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Or if they're ignoring all the coughing anyway, just lie on the questionnaire because they won't give a damn once you're onboard according to those who've just sailed or are sailing.

Jeepers what a mess they're creating ...

Which is the sensible decision.

P&O only ask for the medical questionnaire to be completed as a "box ticking" exercise for their own due diligence purposes. As long as everbody ticks all the "no" boxes,  they are happy,  and couldn't care less if people lie.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mollag said:

When we escalated our complaint through ABTA they wouldn’t do anything until P&O had been given 28 days to respond which of course they didn’t then it takes another 28 days for ABTA to do anything but once they were on the case P&Os legal department contacted us with compensation offer and we had it sorted that day, then it only took another couple of weeks to get it all on the cruises we wanted it on but this was back with customer service who don’t seem to understand basic English and had to be drawn a diagram for what we wanted🤷‍♂️

Am I to assume you received FCC  by way of compensation or was that what you were awaiting that wasn't dealt with?  

I doubt very much some of the people having all the problems now would settle for a few days FCC after the way some of them are now being treated and at least three I know of will never cruise again thanks to the heavy handed tough luck approach.

There is inevitable variation between cruises.  Within the last month we have been on Ventura and Queen Elizabeth, both for a week.  No masks, no more coughing than in pre-Covid days (probably less), and no signs of anybody being quarantined.  So the current approach to tests/questionnaires doesn't necessarily mean disaster.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Which was your last cruise please. I am interested to know how many people on cruises develop covid. As to your question on our recent cruise where we reported ill (amongst the few honest ones) no questions were asked at all.  People all over the ship were coughing but nothing was done  until the Captain said masks are now compulsory half way through the cruise. We had complained that people were coughing all over and were obviously not well but we were isolated and the crew took no notice. The basic answer to your question is that people do not report as ill as they will lose much of their holiday with no compensation. We missed all the main ports and if I knew then what I know now I would not have reported ill as it cost us the holiday and a couple of thousand pounds.

Our last cruise was Ventura 17th September. Our cruise sounds exactly like yours. I noticed lots of cabins on our deck getting regular room service because they were most likely isolated. There was a huge amount of people coughing around the ship. If I had to guess at the amount of people with covid onboard I’d say it was definitely in the hundreds. Our next one is November, also for 2 weeks but with an observed test 2 days before so it’ll be interesting to see how that one pans out in comparison 

5 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

There is inevitable variation between cruises.  Within the last month we have been on Ventura and Queen Elizabeth, both for a week.  No masks, no more coughing than in pre-Covid days (probably less), and no signs of anybody being quarantined.  So the current approach to tests/questionnaires doesn't necessarily mean disaster.

Ventura had an outbreak a couple of weeks ago when wearing a mask was made compulsory.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

One week cruises are not getting the same number of cases.  Ventura had well in excess of 100 on her last cruise and masking was ordered.  Queen Victoria had the same problem at the identical time with even CC host Hattie having her husband quarantined.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

One week cruises are not getting the same number of cases.  Ventura had well in excess of 100 on her last cruise and masking was ordered.  Queen Victoria had the same problem at the identical time with even CC host Hattie having her husband quarantined.  

I know, I've seen the posts.  I'm just presenting an alternative experience to get a more balanced picture. I also know that whether or not there are 100 cases or zero doesn't alter the problem of people being denied boarding in what might seem an unreasonable manner.

• Like 2

Just now, Teddy123 said:

I know, I've seen the posts.  I'm just presenting an alternative experience to get a more balanced picture. I also know that whether or not there are 100 cases or zero doesn't alter the problem of people being denied boarding in what might seem an unreasonable manner.

The problem going forward is financial loss for those refused boarding, quarantined or offloaded. No doubt you have read of the insurance situation and therefore are aware of some facing major loss of money.  The number of cases, coughs etc are taking higher priority as a result of that and fear of losing your money.

As someone embroiled in an argument with a cruise line and insurer over a non covid related claim which currently means a £19,000 loss I know personally how difficult it will be to argue any case based on the current terms.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The problem going forward is financial loss for those refused boarding, quarantined or offloaded. No doubt you have read of the insurance situation and therefore are aware of some facing major loss of money.  The number of cases, coughs etc are taking higher priority as a result of that and fear of losing your money.

As someone embroiled in an argument with a cruise line and insurer over a non covid related claim which currently means a £19,000 loss I know personally how difficult it will be to argue any case based on the current terms.  

Megabear2,Well done keep going! Were we not being led to believe in the early pandemic days that the air con filter systems were being upgraded, I am sure the insider! referred to this at that time.

So why are so many people still coughing? We after our first cruise in 2016, having experienced a bad bout of coughing bronchitis illness, other 3 weeks, took certain steps on our next cruise and never suffered again, but others on our various cruises did. What we did was to take two hand towels, laid a dry one scrunched up on the floor, soaked the other one so it was dripping wet, and placed in on a wire coat hanger which we hung under the air con outlet in the roof, let it drip down on the one on the floor. We related this to lots of people that we met on board, over many cruise, and the thanks we received was proof that it worked.

• Like 1

Just a thought, and a play on words really -but according to their website blurb, if the cruise line cancels the cruise you should get FCC.  Now I assume their wording is intended to mean the cancellation of entire cruise for all pax -but in the case of the health questionnaire being completed with a Yes so boarding denied - then in effect it’s the cruise line cancelling your cruise, as it’s definitely not yourself ? Could that be argued ?

Also since they say suitable insurance is a pre requisite to board, yet no such policy is known to exist (Inc their own supplier) for the denied boarding etc, as Megabear2 has found, then surely by allowing anybody on board they are in effect breaking their own rules !

Sorry if I’ve not explained very well as bit late !

Our guarantee

In the unlikely event that P&O Cruises needs to cancel your cruise, we guarantee you an enhanced Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

Edited by watsonbeau

5 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Just a thought, and a play on words really -but according to their website blurb, if the cruise line cancels the cruise you should get FCC.  Now I assume their wording is intended to mean the cancellation of entire cruise for all pax -but in the case of the health questionnaire being completed with a Yes so boarding denied - then in effect it’s the cruise line cancelling your cruise, as it’s definitely not yourself ? Could that be argued ?

Also since they say suitable insurance is a pre requisite to board, yet no such policy is known to exist (Inc their own supplier) for the denied boarding etc, as Megabear2 has found, then surely by allowing anybody on board they are in effect breaking their own rules !

Our guarantee

In the unlikely event that P&O Cruises needs to cancel your cruise, we guarantee you an enhanced Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

Interesting idea!  I doubt I'll get away with the first idea but no harm in having a go.  I'm expecting a call next week before we move on to lawyers and ABTA, I'll see if your second thought raises any hairs!  

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Am I to assume you received FCC  by way of compensation or was that what you were awaiting that wasn't dealt with?  

I doubt very much some of the people having all the problems now would settle for a few days FCC after the way some of them are now being treated and at least three I know of will never cruise again thanks to the heavy handed tough luck approach.

As you know we were on the Aurora shambles in March we didn’t accept the 25% hush money that was given to everyone and when the legal department became involved we were offered cash or 50% FCC we opted for FCC as we had a few more booked which are mostly now paid for. Like a few others once we’ve been on these cruises there won’t be any more with them

Megabear2 - good luck and let us know how it goes. Will be interested to know what’s said as I am booked on a Cunard and they are basically same as P&O with the FCC removal/health questionnaire/testing etc

thank you

Edited by watsonbeau

7 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

Our guarantee

I think they’d refer you to para 22 of t&cs…

1A7525F2-3D61-453B-8369-033CD25040A0.thumb.jpeg.44149c37b5549375411d8f664bcd67a8.jpeg

On 10/12/2022 at 7:54 AM, wowzz said:

That can't happen, because testing is not done prior to departure.

And, if a coach passenger tests positive later in the cruise, P&O would have no way of knowing who was sitting adjacent to them on the coach.

Oh ok, I thought that previously they had been contact tracing the whole coach not just pax sitting adjacent 

So, clause 22 of the T's & C's puts the onus of denied boarding onto the passenger, and allows P&O to debit the 100% cancellation charges. It also refers to clause 38, which states that                                       "The Guest should ensure that their travel insurance provides sufficient cover for such eventualities as required by clause 32 above."       Clause 32 states, "every Guest must have adequate and appropriate insurance. This must include cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full and valid medical cover for pre-existing medical conditions worldwide"    But, as Megabear2 has already found, none of the Insurance Companies will cover you for "denied boarding due to a cough".  Catch 22, and we are the ones caught.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

I think they’d refer you to para 22 of t&cs…

1A7525F2-3D61-453B-8369-033CD25040A0.thumb.jpeg.44149c37b5549375411d8f664bcd67a8.jpeg

Interesting that it is so specific about symptoms of  viral and bacterial illness.

If someone in all honesty ticks the box to say they have a cough which is caused for example by a reaction to medication or allergies or the after effects of an illness which is no longer active etc then the clause surely could not be invoked? Based on that I would have thought P&O would need to explore the reason for the cough before denying boarding. There can’t be that many people who tick yes surely.

Failure to establish to cause of the cough means they can’t say it was a symptom of a bacterial or viral illness.

There is an old adage, those who accuse must prove.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Funinhounslow and walkingdude 

Thank you. At the rate they are going, with the insurance issue they will end up with no passengers at all. The insurance to me seems to be misleading on the website since nobody will insure as Megabear2 has found. 

At this rate much as I love cruises I would be very wary of now booking another. 

but they need to treat paying customers better or we will be having a mass exodus from the cruise market to land holidays with less aggravation!

thank you 

Edited by watsonbeau
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Probably, with the week long cruises, there’s not enough time for multiple cases to become apparent, and then the people leave the ship before they can infect too many fellow passengers. 

• Like 2

I don’t know what the coughing question states but I can have coughing fits from time to time often when I eat, associated with acid reflux. For P&O to deny someone boarding just for having a cough is unreasonable as there can be various causes, did they do that pre2020 ? No! What does question actually say?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Megabear2,Well done keep going! Were we not being led to believe in the early pandemic days that the air con filter systems were being upgraded, I am sure the insider! referred to this at that time.

So why are so many people still coughing? We after our first cruise in 2016, having experienced a bad bout of coughing bronchitis illness, other 3 weeks, took certain steps on our next cruise and never suffered again, but others on our various cruises did. What we did was to take two hand towels, laid a dry one scrunched up on the floor, soaked the other one so it was dripping wet, and placed in on a wire coat hanger which we hung under the air con outlet in the roof, let it drip down on the one on the floor. We related this to lots of people that we met on board, over many cruise, and the thanks we received was proof that it worked.

I wonder about the air con systems too, and what was actually done.

After 2 years, I get the impression that HEPA air filtration systems are what’s required, which filters out ‘bad air’ and lets fresh air circulate round. These systems are highly recommended for places where there are a lot of people. I don’t know what works were actually done on the ship’s air con, but unless these air filtration systems were installed, I’m not sure about the actual effectiveness