Last minute deals

Dale P

If the cruise ship is ready to leave the dock and there are still some empty state rooms, is there ever any last minute steal of a deal made?

Or is there at least a reputable website with last minute deals listed. 

6 minutes ago, Dale P said:

If the cruise ship is ready to leave the dock and there are still some empty state rooms, is there ever any last minute steal of a deal made?

7 minutes ago, Dale P said:

“Last minute” really means last 48 hours or so.  But, yes:  there are “last minute” deals to be had virtually every time an itinerary fails to sell out as anticipated.  Your best bet would be to establish a relationship with a travel agency which specializes in cruises - but they are likely to inform established customers first. 

Still, if you monitor prices for an itinerary you are interested as sailing date nears, you may find prices being cut. Of course, unless you live very close to a port, you are likely to pay as much more in last minute airfare as you might save on last minute cruise fare.

Go to the websites of each line that interests you and sign up for their e-mail specials.  I believe most lines require you to book by the night before.  On Carnival you can book by phone in the morning and sail in the afternoon.  EM

Great.   I only want to sail out of Charleston SC and I know that limits my chances as I've been told only Carnival sails out of that port. 

I will consider the above approaches.  

I like taking chances. Is it possible to go to the office there the day of the sail,  hang around all day and see if something shows up?

3 hours ago, Dale P said:

Great.   I only want to sail out of Charleston SC and I know that limits my chances as I've been told only Carnival sails out of that port. 

I will consider the above approaches.  

I like taking chances. Is it possible to go to the office there the day of the sail,  hang around all day and see if something shows up?

I have read that passenger lists must be finalized at least 24 hours prior to sailing.  I know in the past a genuine “last minute” booking was possible - but it seems not to be the case any more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have read that passenger lists must be finalized at least 24 hours prior to sailing.  I know in the past a genuine “last minute” booking was possible - but it seems not to be the case any more. 

I remember the same thing (many years ago) of people getting great deals the "morning of".   This seemed to work back then for the short 3 & 4 day party cruises out of San Pedro.  As your and many other previous posts seem to indicate, it doesn't seem to be possible these days.  

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I remember the same thing (many years ago) of people getting great deals the "morning of".   This seemed to work back then for the short 3 & 4 day party cruises out of San Pedro.  As your and many other previous posts seem to indicate, it doesn't seem to be possible these days.  

I think after 9-11 they stopped 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Passenger lists are finalized 60 MINUTES before sailing.  That’s why you have to be fully checked in 60 minutes before sail time.  
Checkin agents do not have access to empty cabins, nor the ability to sell cruises.  EM

That “finalization” 60 MINUTES before sailing really involves removing names of people who have not shown up - not adding last minute walk-ups.

• Thanks 1