Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

Finally had time to upload a video of what our cabin 6176 sounded like.  I unfortunately did not take a video of the first night leaving Port Everglades, since it was late and we were trying to sleep.  But this video of us leaving Nassau in calm conditions will give you an idea of what we endured:

https://youtu.be/W8kbP54Jj9c

• Thanks 8

25 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

Finally had time to upload a video of what our cabin 6176 sounded like.  I unfortunately did not take a video of the first night leaving Port Everglades, since it was late and we were trying to sleep.  But this video of us leaving Nassau in calm conditions will give you an idea of what we endured:

WOW!  Having cruised (extensively) on over 70 different ships (over 45+ years), I have never heard anything like this...ON ANY VESSEL.  DW and I have spent more than 1400 days on ships and had a few noisy cabins, but nothing to come close to what is on that video.  What would we do?  For us it would be simple  Demand a different cabin or make arrangements to disembark at the next port that has an airport.  

I think Celebrity has a big problem.  As the word spreads about the Beyond, folks will go out of their way to avoid that ship.  X needs to deal with this problem and any solution might be difficult to impossible.  If it only involves a handful of cabins than those cabins should be pulled out of inventory.  If this is the result of new engineering design (which depends on interior structure) than this ship (and possibly the class) may become a real albatross for X.

Hank

• Like 5

Celebrity did move us and Guest Services was very concerned and accomodating.  I don't want anyone to think I am trying to trash Celebrity or that Celebrity blew off our concerns.  Quite the opposite.  They recognize they have a problem and are trying to deal with it.  I really hope they can get it figured out because it is not right for guests to wind up in a cabin with noise like that (even if Celebrity really does not know beforehand which cabins will be "haunted").  A lot of people don't know to ask to switch or would even know this is not normal.  We knew it was not normal but we were not going to ask to switch cabins until someone here suggested it.  We are glad we did.  But guests should not be put in this situation.  Hank is right that Celebrity has a big problem and needs to figure out how to fix it.  Beyond is a beautiful ship and should not become a black sheep.  Celebrity might have to send it to dry dock at Chantiers de l'Atlantique, maybe when it sails to Rome in May.  This should be the shipbuilder's problem to fix.  I hope the fix is not too difficult.  If they can identify the haunted cabins, one option might be to just replace the mechanic veranda window with a fixed window and sell it as an oceanview.  I would love to see them scrap the infinite verdana concept all together and convert the balconies into traditional open balconies with sliding glass doors.  But it seems Celebrity is too invested in the infinite verdana concept to change course now.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

Celebrity did move us and Guest Services was very concerned and accomodating.  I don't want anyone to think I am trying to trash Celebrity or that Celebrity blew off our concerns.  Quite the opposite.  They recognize they have a problem and are trying to deal with it.  I really hope they can get it figured out because it is not right for guests to wind up in a cabin with noise like that (even if Celebrity really does not know beforehand which cabins will be "haunted").  A lot of people don't know to ask to switch or would even know this is not normal.  We knew it was not normal but we were not going to ask to switch cabins until someone here suggested it.  We are glad we did.  But guests should not be put in this situation.  Hank is right that Celebrity has a big problem and needs to figure out how to fix it.  Beyond is a beautiful ship and should not become a black sheep.  Celebrity might have to send it to dry dock at Chantiers de l'Atlantique, maybe when it sails to Rome in May.  This should be the shipbuilder's problem to fix.  I hope the fix is not too difficult.  If they can identify the haunted cabins, one option might be to just replace the mechanic veranda window with a fixed window and sell it as an oceanview.  I would love to see them scrap the infinite verdana concept all together and convert the balconies into traditional open balconies with sliding glass doors.  But it seems Celebrity is too invested in the infinite verdana concept to change course now.

We had interior cabin on deck 3 and had similar noise but even louder and worst at night couldn’t sleep for the first 2 nights. We got also moved and then was better. So it’s not only the IV cabins with that problem it’s others as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have B2B sailings on the Beyond in May (different cabins, long sailings, both IVs) and am concerned after hearing that audio. Yikes! Was on the ship earlier this month and amazed by how quiet my interior cabin was. Such a beautiful ship. I hope the noise thing gets sorted out. 

Edited by def0715

3 hours ago, RobertoF said:

Ok, that *is* annoying. I would certainly have a difficult time sitting and reading in that IV...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertoF said:

If it were me, I'd be posting that video on social media sites, tagging everyone I could think of that could effect change.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, MamaFej said:

Along these lines: white noise has not been helpful for me, but sleep stories have. I use tha Calm app for these, among other things. If folks decide to try sleep stories, it's good to know that they can be downloaded. I hadn't thought about that ahead of my first overseas flight since the restart, and I regretted it. I definitely downloaded several after landing, so I have plenty for cruising, flying, RVing in poor cell areas... 

My husband, on the other hand, could drink a triple espresso, then fall aspeep on a roller coaster during an earthquake. Not that I'm jealous or anything. 

This, this is the story of my life!

We have spent 25 nights on the Apex since May. Fourteen nights on the TA and 11 in May. We had an IV on I think deck 8 in May and were on deck 10 for the TA.

Apex does seem noisier than S class and I think what people are saying is true - it’s related to the ship motion and certain cabins are worse. On each trip, we had a few rough days, and that’s when we noticed the noise, but it was louder and more localized on the TA. I’m a light sleeper and was awakened at least one night on each trip. DH even noticed on the TA. Having said that, our experience was not as bad as those mentioned here.

I was on Beyond on three different sailing.

Two of the three sailing I can hear the creaking noice.

On my last sailing I was right below the 1st sailing cabin.

I could hear the creaking noise even I was below that cabin.

I do hope there is a thread that have a list of creaking cabins on Beyond so future cruisers could avoid those cabins.

The cabins I was in 11100 ( CS ) 8259 ( IV)  both creaking. 10100 (AQ S ) quiet cabin.

I have decided to cancel my Transatlantic on Beyond and move to Edge.

Edited by verizon

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

This, this is the story of my life!

We have spent 25 nights on the Apex since May. Fourteen nights on the TA and 11 in May. We had an IV on I think deck 8 in May and were on deck 10 for the TA.

Apex does seem noisier than S class and I think what people are saying is true - it’s related to the ship motion and certain cabins are worse. On each trip, we had a few rough days, and that’s when we noticed the noise, but it was louder and more localized on the TA. I’m a light sleeper and was awakened at least one night on each trip. DH even noticed on the TA. Having said that, our experience was not as bad as those mentioned here.

This spring Apex TA , I was in a forward OV cabin on 9 I did hear anything, except my neighbours occasionally😁

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, the penguins said:

Since when did 8 foot swells constitute rough seas?

If that is really all the E class ships can cope with X has serious problems. On Infinity in the Antarctic she coped with 60 foot waves and 90 mph winds 

Are you saying you sailed in 60' seas on Infinity?? When was this?  Our worst ever was 30' seas and that had half the crew sick. I find it hard to believe a cruise ship captain would willingly sail into an area with seas that high. They would generally reroute or stay in their current port until the seas calmed.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:39 AM, RobertoF said:

Years ago, in a suite on the Disney Wonder, we had very similar noise the whole cruise. To me, it sounded like creaking. In that suite, everything is a beautiful wood surface, and we thought that was the issue. I don’t know. We did not complain, but were surprised. 

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Are you saying you sailed in 60' seas on Infinity?? When was this?  Our worst ever was 30' seas and that had half the crew sick. I find it hard to believe a cruise ship captain would willingly sail into an area with seas that high. They would generally reroute or stay in their current port until the seas calmed.

Correct. Once you are in Drake's Passage there is nowhere to hide. You either keep going or turn back. We crossed the Passage 4 times rather than the scheduled twice as the Captain tried to find us calmer seas so we could enjoy the Peninsular (we actually ended up with 4 hours of calm seas to enjoy watching the Ice Bergs rather than the 3 days that the Captain thought might be possible).

We still have the chart showing the route we should have taken and the one we actually took.

We returned 2 years later on a 12,500 ton expedition ship - hence our Roll Call name.

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Correct. Once you are in Drake's Passage there is nowhere to hide. You either keep going or turn back. We crossed the Passage 4 times rather than the scheduled twice as the Captain tried to find us calmer seas so we could enjoy the Peninsular (we actually ended up with 4 hours of calm seas to enjoy watching the Ice Bergs rather than the 3 days that the Captain thought might be possible).

We still have the chart showing the route we should have taken and the one we actually took.

We returned 2 years later on a 12,500 ton expedition ship - hence our Roll Call name.

Sorry you asked the year. Infinity February 2010 and the Fram February/March 2012.

Holy mackerel. Shocking, this noise issue isn't a simple one off. This isn't the first ship in its class.   Passengers are experiencing this in several cabins. Cruise passage on this newest ship are going for premium price. Wow!  As cinema detective Charlie Chan used to say, "Some Ting Wong!"

4 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Holy mackerel. Shocking, this noise issue isn't a simple one off. This isn't the first ship in its class.   Passengers are experiencing this in several cabins. Cruise passage on this newest ship are going for premium price. Wow!  As cinema detective Charlie Chan used to say, "Some Ting Wong!"

It is the the first lengthened ship in the class, though

• Like 1

NutsaboutGolf said, "It is the the first lengthened ship in the class, though"   

Sorry Nuts, it's unacceptable.  I'm sure you wouldn't put up with this poor shipfitting on an expensive 7 night cruise, just because they added some length.  It's okay to criticize Celebrity when they fail to deliver a premium product.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:21 AM, RobertoF said:

Did you return fire? 🙂

The seas look rather calm to me.

Something is wrong with the ship/cabin.

Edited by NMTraveller

The seas were calm leaving Nassau.  That's when I realized it was not just a function of rough seas or high wind.  Initially, guest services told us the noise was likely coming from the lifeboat outside our window and said someone would better secure it.  I don't think that ever happened, but I also never thought that was the problem, since the noise was coming from so "close" to the cabin.  Also, when I opened the window and the noise stopped I knew it was not the lifeboat (opening the window would have made the banging louder if it was the lifeboat).  I will be interested to hear of other's experiences and whether Celebrity is able to come up with a relatively easy an inexpensive fix, which I hope they do.  Noise complaints on Edge and Apex are rare, so it seems like maybe there is something about the lengthening that is causing the problem.  I believe Ascent is the same design/size as Beyond, so hopefully Celebrity is addressing the issue in the Ascent build. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 5:50 PM, the penguins said:

Sorry you asked the year. Infinity February 2010 and the Fram February/March 2012.

Funny we were on the Infinity early Feb 2010 and we hit a Drake's passage storm  with 38 ft seas and 75 knot winds.  The Captain diverted to Ushuia and we still hit the tail end of the storm.  There was no direction to hide. 

Noise was extreme - the sliders were vibrating from the air pressure and the ship shuddered all nigh from waves hitting the hull.  Creaking was the less of the evils.

• Like 2