Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Because others were suggesting they move. And also these threads are providing others. Info…..and you are right my tone is a bit too harsh.  Written words can come across edgier than intended. 

den

Gotcha. You were responding to the folks who suggested that he move, not the OP himself.  Thanks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RobertoF said:

We did speak with guest relations.  And let me preface this by saying I feel terrible for complaining and never have complained about cabin noise before nor asked to have our cabin switched.  We have been on over 20 different ships, some old some new, in all kinds of weather, and never experienced anything like this before.  My wife said last night was the worst night she has had on a cruise ship, and she's had well over 100 nights.  Guest relations said they reported to maintenance to better secure the life boats.  I am skeptical anything can be done.  We'll see what tonight brings.  I'll report back.

You not the only one have this issue.

I have been on Beyond for a month.

Two of my sailing I did had creaking sound in my cabin all day long.

It was so unbearable that on one sailing I had to wear EAR PLUG when I went to bed.

I have decided to cancel my April sailing on Beyond and move the booking to another transatlantic.

Trust me I have many sailings with Celebrity, been on many rough sea.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RobertoF said:

We are currently on the Beyond.  It is our first time on Beyond but we have sailed Edge and Apex and many other ships so we have a lot of comparisons.  I realize it has been only one night, and given today is our 23rd wedding anniversary maybe I am a bit sensitive, but it sounded like a construction site in our room last night from the noises our cabin was making.  Granted, we were delayed from Port Everglades last night because of weather and the seas were a bit rough.  But we have been through much rougher weather before and have never experienced anything like this.  My wife was up all night (I am heavier sleeper).  It sounded like maybe the lifeboat was knocking against the side of the ship but there was also a lot of creaking.  Other people we have spoken with heard similar noises.  I don't know if it is our location (IV midship deck 6).  We love Celebrity and I hate to think they spent over a billion dollars on this ship and it has a creaking/noise problem that is inherent in the design or build of the ship.  I have seen other reviews that have mentioned this problem but the ship is still so new so there are not a lot of reviews.  I hope they can get it figured out.  Hopefully we can get some sleep tonight as it should be calmer seas but I fear this is going to be a problem all cruise.  

Ocean bouys in the area recorded steady 2.7m with seas to 4m+.  Depending on the period between waves you will get quite a bit of flex in the ship.  If Beyond did not flex the steel would weaken over time and break.  A good example of that is Liberty ships breaking up during WWII.

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I remember reading on CC when Beyond was in the Med people were sleeping on the sofa’s in the atrium/Martini Bar area to try to get some respite from the noise in their cabins.

Is the Mediterranean always rough?  I did a Viking Cruise in September 2019 and didn't notice any problems.  I suppose it depends on time of year?

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

OK, now that you've let us all know of this problem you experienced. What stateroom number are you in? 

We are in 6176.  We are leaving Nassau right now so we will see how it is when we get moving.  They told us at guest services if we hear noises tonight we should call and someone will come up to hear for themselves.  We are at sea tomorrow without wifi so no reports until Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I believe these reports.  And I know this is a new ship.  Why aren’t there more complaints?

Because the noise isn't in every cabin.

I was in a midship Skysuite 10/26- 11/4 on deck 10 in fairly rocky seas on a repositioning cruise and didn't hear any noises at all for 9 nights. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, YensidCA said:

According to the Douglas Sea state scale:
When waves reach a height of over eight feet (2.4m), the sea is considered to be 'rough'. If waves are over 13 feet (4m) then the sea is classified as 'very rough'.

60 feet are extreme conditions and most ships even though they should be able to sail through it will avoid if possible for the safety of the guests and crew. 

During our experience of 60 foot waves I can assure you that the Captain did everything possible to avoid the "worst of the weather". The sea comming in through the doors by the Sky Lounge was enough to concentrate the mind and the crew responded to every challenge magnificently. Waves over 8 feet have been a regular feature of our Transatlantic and Transpacific crossings (all bar one on S class) but we have never experienced the noise levels being reported on the E class ships. 

Please ask Guest Services to have foam pads installed between the lifeboats and the side of the hull.  These should take care of the creaking and banging noises.  Two pads per lifeboat are all it should take.  

Seriously, I hope the noise abates for you!

• Haha 1

@BigAl94 Thanks for sharing the video.  I'm a big fan of BTS.  

Just off Beyond in IV cabin 8268.  There was no rough seas during the week and the cabin creaked every night.  It was a bit better with the verandah door closed but I don't like dark rooms, like the sunlight and ocean views in the mornings.  I suffered through for the sunlight.  

45 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

@BigAl94 Thanks for sharing the video.  I'm a big fan of BTS.  

Just off Beyond in IV cabin 8268.  There was no rough seas during the week and the cabin creaked every night.  It was a bit better with the verandah door closed but I don't like dark rooms, like the sunlight and ocean views in the mornings.  I suffered through for the sunlight.  

I thought the verandah door was just glass with a curtain in front.  Is that not right?

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is the Mediterranean always rough?  I did a Viking Cruise in September 2019 and didn't notice any problems.  I suppose it depends on time of year?

Excepting the far north and south that tend to have rougher seas in their winter; the ocean state is dependent on weather conditions.  The Med tends to be on average calmer that the Caribbean. 

I too find the noise complaints interesting as Beyond is pretty much the same as Apex.  Cannot remember similar issues on Apex and have seen nothing outside of Cruise Critic about problems mentioned here on Beyond.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wish that it was rougher for my 2 cruises.  Smooth as butter...  One was a bit windy but not very rough.  Now if you go on a smaller boat to Delos you might notice.

I like a little bit of chop at night and I sleep like a baby.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

Recently sailed Beyond from PE in IV cabin 7144.  Seas were a bit high (not rough) the first night.  We experienced annoying, intermittent "popping" sounds during the night, enough to keep me awake. Subsequent nights were smooth and quieter.  However, hearing the neighbors blinds and bathroom doors was rather surprising.

Oh for heavens sake- YOU ARE ON A SHIP ON THE OPEN SEA!

Haveing sailed through many a storm i know  ( and love) the sound a ship makes. How loud - and for some disturbing it gets, depends were the waves hit the hull, how rough the sea is and so and so forth.

Guest Relations- how on earth can they help- telling the ship to be quite- telling the sea to get smother AT ONCE?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

I didn’t mention sea state in my post,,,

As for the Med being rough…not often but it does have its moments.

13 hours ago, the penguins said:

... but we have never experienced the noise levels being reported on the E class ships. 

It is a bit concerning for sure.

Like you, we are used to sailing out of the UK at all times of year and rough seas are far from uncommon, but despite getting all the expected sounds of steel under stress, never experienced anything of the scale being described here with Beyond...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

I hope the ship is not ........Haunted!😬

Maybe.  Just watched Winchester House with Helen Mirren.  Reviews of the house say not scary unless you count the bad actors that jump out at you.

• Haha 1