Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

We had a similar experience on a non-Celebrity sailing.   The creaking and metal scraping noises were so bad we were unable to sleep the entire week.   The weather was fine.  I don't know what the cause was.   I complained at guest relations but unfortunately, no other cabins were available.   It was positively awful.    It was a guarantee cabin and I will never do a guarantee again.   

2 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

We had a similar experience on a non-Celebrity sailing.   The creaking and metal scraping noises were so bad we were unable to sleep the entire week.   The weather was fine.  I don't know what the cause was.   I complained at guest relations but unfortunately, no other cabins were available.   It was positively awful.    It was a guarantee cabin and I will never do a guarantee again.   

Where was the location? Booking a guarantee stateroom isn't going to guarantee you will not experience "creaking and metal scraping noises were so bad we were unable to sleep the entire week". I can think of one good reason why we would never book a guarantee stateroom. 

25 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Where was the location? Booking a guarantee stateroom isn't going to guarantee you will not experience "creaking and metal scraping noises were so bad we were unable to sleep the entire week". I can think of one good reason why we would never book a guarantee stateroom. 

It was a forward location.   I couldn't believe how loud the cabin was...all night long!   

I won't book another guarantee cabin because I learned after that experience that I want to choose my cabin.  I like to research the cabin and avoid known issues.

Edited by AnnaNicole

8 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

It was a forward location.   I couldn't believe how loud the cabin was...all night long!   

What deck, what ship? Doesn't really matter as you said a non Celebrity ship and that what is this thread isn't about. It's about Celebrity's Beyond. We like forward locations due to less foot traffic and hopefully we'll get some motion from the ocean.  Never an issue with noise. But we book by deck and exact stateroom number. No lower decks and no public areas above or below us. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Anyone concerned about noise should download an app on their phone called White Noise Lite. It is free and does not stream the feed so no wifi needed to use. Many choices of soothing sounds  and completely adjustable volume. The constant level of sound smooths out the sudden creaks and thumps you might hear. 

If you are really concerned about noise for an upcoming cruise and have never used a white noise machine, download it a few weeks ahead of time and use it starting at a very low volume. Then gradually increase it so by cruise time I guarantee you can sleep through almost anything the ship's percussion section has to offer.

I have posted this recommendation so many times...my wife and I used to have a new well-insulated house in a super quiet neighborhood and slept with no problems. Then we bought a 50 year old wind tunnel a mile from an interstate and a RR line. Noise machine made all the problems go away, and we sleep more soundly than ever.

Another benefit--no snoring complaints!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

On the recent Edge Transatlantic from Civitavecchia, we were in SV 11273. While in the Med, we did hear some "louder than normal" banging and creaking, apparently from the ceiling area, bordering the neighbouring cabin. But the noise was intermittent; we actually joked about it with our cabin steward.

However, once into the Atlantic, with a few nights of higher seas, it was no longer a joking matter. The noises kept me up on a couple of nights. I have never heard such cacophony in a ship's cabin! It was not normal creaking that we've always experienced on every other class ship ... this was far different. It sounded like a loud hammer banging above us ... all night long!

We actually were compelled to inform Guest Services, wondering if something was wrong. They sent a maintenance "joiner" who looked at the walls. We pointed out that someone had inserted several shims into seams between the wall and ceiling overhang. Clearly, we weren't the first guests to have been disturbed. The guy wouldn't really comment, but he said that he'd check the cabin above us. Did he? Don't know. But the seas did calm down for a few days and the noise was diminished. Never entirely, but enough so that we could sleep.

Now that this thread has pointed out the noise issue on Edge Class ships, I'm wondering if we need to expect that this would be an ongoing problem? For us, another reason to avoid Edge Class. Loved the Transatlantic experience (as always); did not love the ship.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Anyone concerned about noise should download an app on their phone called White Noise Lite. It is free and does not stream the feed so no wifi needed to use. Many choices of soothing sounds  and completely adjustable volume. The constant level of sound smooths out the sudden creaks and thumps you might hear. 

If you are really concerned about noise for an upcoming cruise and have never used a white noise machine, download it a few weeks ahead of time and use it starting at a very low volume. Then gradually increase it so by cruise time I guarantee you can sleep through almost anything the ship's percussion section has to offer.

I have posted this recommendation so many times...my wife and I used to have a new well-insulated house in a super quiet neighborhood and slept with no problems. Then we bought a 50 year old wind tunnel a mile from an interstate and a RR line. Noise machine made all the problems go away, and we sleep more soundly than ever.

Another benefit--no snoring complaints!

Along these lines: white noise has not been helpful for me, but sleep stories have. I use tha Calm app for these, among other things. If folks decide to try sleep stories, it's good to know that they can be downloaded. I hadn't thought about that ahead of my first overseas flight since the restart, and I regretted it. I definitely downloaded several after landing, so I have plenty for cruising, flying, RVing in poor cell areas... 

My husband, on the other hand, could drink a triple espresso, then fall aspeep on a roller coaster during an earthquake. Not that I'm jealous or anything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

On 11/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, skatie said:

I have read lots of other reports of loud creaking/banging on the Beyond.  I am going to be mid ship on deck 8 next week and am a light sleeper.  Hopefully its just as a result of one night of heavy seas and the rest of your trip goes well.  

Please come back to this thread and let us know. 

We too are booked for Beyond .  We are midship port side 

• Like 1

I was on a b2b/TA in a suite(corner aft, deck 11) and had a couple of nights with rocking and rolling.  My glass of water on my nightstand went flying and broke by the corner of the bed.  The door kept making noises, as if, someone was trying to get into our suite.  Actually, we were both quarantined, at the time, so spending our days and nights in this suite.  At one point, I thought that my body was going off the foot of the bed, but in actuality, I only slipped down a few inches.  My DH always slept through everything for those two nights.  This was on Apex a week and a half ago.  The rest of the time, things were great.  We were trying to get away from Hurricane Neal/Neil and everything else that was causing the waves to be rough.

4 hours ago, AC Stew said:

On the recent Edge Transatlantic from Civitavecchia, we were in SV 11273. While in the Med, we did hear some "louder than normal" banging and creaking, apparently from the ceiling area, bordering the neighbouring cabin. But the noise was intermittent; we actually joked about it with our cabin steward.

However, once into the Atlantic, with a few nights of higher seas, it was no longer a joking matter. The noises kept me up on a couple of nights. I have never heard such cacophony in a ship's cabin! It was not normal creaking that we've always experienced on every other class ship ... this was far different. It sounded like a loud hammer banging above us ... all night long!

We actually were compelled to inform Guest Services, wondering if something was wrong. They sent a maintenance "joiner" who looked at the walls. We pointed out that someone had inserted several shims into seams between the wall and ceiling overhang. Clearly, we weren't the first guests to have been disturbed. The guy wouldn't really comment, but he said that he'd check the cabin above us. Did he? Don't know. But the seas did calm down for a few days and the noise was diminished. Never entirely, but enough so that we could sleep.

Now that this thread has pointed out the noise issue on Edge Class ships, I'm wondering if we need to expect that this would be an ongoing problem? For us, another reason to avoid Edge Class. Loved the Transatlantic experience (as always); did not love the ship.

I just booked this exact SV on Edge for a TP from Sydney to Honolulu for 17 nights...oh my! 

• Like 1

A quick update as we are about to leave Costa Maya.  We noticed that if we opened the balcony window the noise stopped.  We then closed it and the noise stopped for a little while but then gradually returned.  When we get back I will post a video so you can get a sense of the loudness of the popping noises.  Guest relations was very nice and told us they have had to move several guests on our cruise and earlier cruises.  They said it is maddening because different cabins are making noises different sailings!  They offered to move us and we took them up on the offer.  The IV we have now is down the hall.  So far we do hear some faint noises but it seems better.  We did not have these problems on Edge and Apex.  Maybe we just were not unlucky before or maybe there is something about the way Beyond was built.  I have no idea, but guest relations is definitely aware of it and is trying to resolve issues.  It seems like a sadistic game of Whack-a-Mole ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, RobertoF said:

We noticed that if we opened the balcony window the noise stopped.  We then closed it and the noise stopped for a little while but then gradually returned.

That would indicate to me that the offending noise comes from the HVAC system.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I just booked this exact SV on Edge for a TP from Sydney to Honolulu for 17 nights...oh my! 

Noise aside, the cabin was spacious and comfortable. One full lounger on the balcony, along with a little table, and two of the low backed non-reclining chairs. And of course, you can't beat the view.

If you experience the "sledgehammer" ceiling banging, at least you can cite a definite sailing (October 24/22 Transatlantic) on which previous guests were disturbed. And look to see if the shims (adjacent to cabin 11271) are still in place. I would guess that they'd have to keep a maintenance log to record reported issues?

Good luck and Happy Sailing.

• Thanks 1

Not the Beyond but we did have a rather irritating thump on our recent TA on the Constellation. We discovered it was coming from under our closet floor, sounded like a bottle rolling around as the shipped was rolling side to side, surprised how it disrupted our sleep. There is no way to get under the closet floor, but I was able to squeeze a face cloth between the closet floor and the front kick plate. It took a while, gently pushing the cloth with the file from a pair of nail clippers. Silence at last, now I'm hoping I don't get charged for the cloth 😅

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2022 at 1:34 PM, Silkroad said:

Happy anniversary! We experienced similar noises - knocking, creaking and banging- all night during rough seas. We were aboard Edge on a transatlantic cruise. We were in a midship IV on deck 12 starboard. We had heard random creaking on other nights, but this was so loud that I couldn’t sleep, even with earplugs. I am a fairly light sleeper. DH was able to sleep through it if I remained quiet😂 When I contacted guest relations, they told me several other people in our area had already called. In the end, there wasn’t anything loose or broken. I was told that this is simply a “feature” with this ship class. We experienced this for only one night of fifteen, so we didn’t bother trying to change cabins on our fully booked cruise. We also experienced some loud creaking and knocking on a recent cruise aboard Edge, but I was able to get to sleep using earplugs. We were in a midship Sky Suite on deck 10, port side. Again, it was only for one night during rough seas. I had assumed this wouldn’t be an issue on lower decks, but your deck 6 experience disproves my theory. I hope you have calm seas for the rest of your cruise!

This is so interesting. The correlation to the knocking and banging is rough seas but what’s actually causing the noise?  Do they know?  I’m an earplug sleeper as well bc DH sounds like a freight train when he sleeps but that has to be very frustrating for those light sleepers out there. 

59 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is so interesting. The correlation to the knocking and banging is rough seas but what’s actually causing the noise?  Do they know?  I’m an earplug sleeper as well bc DH sounds like a freight train when he sleeps but that has to be very frustrating for those light sleepers out there. 

The design of the Edge class differs from the other two classes. My guess is that they flex differently than the other ships. Being a light sleeper, I travel with earplugs, but I rarely need them on cruises. I’ve experienced fairly high seas on two TAs, one on Reflection in a midship veranda cabin, and the aforementioned one on Edge in a midship IV. Despite more creaking than usual, I slept like a happy baby (no earplugs) on Reflection. There was no extremely loud knocking and banging on Reflection. I board Apex for the first time next week. I’ll be in an SV. Should we encounter rough seas, I look forward to comparing the SV to my previous experiences in an IV & SS on Edge. I find the Edge class very appealing, so I won’t let a rare sleepless night prevent me from booking them.

• Like 2

We were on the RCL Jewel Of The Seas in 2008.  We were somewhere between Bermuda and North Carolina when we hit a nighttime storm with winds that were clocked on the bridge at 130 mph.  Three of the aft facing cabins broke away when the stanchions they were welded to snapped.  The banging and grinding were really loud.  I suspect something similar happened on Edge. Cabins that are welded to stanchions can break loose.  

We were on the Beyond 10/26 NY to FL. Cabin 7232 IV.

I am the lightest sleeper and being a man of that age I need the bathroom between 2 and 4 times a night. 

I Have done 23 cruises and this cabin was definitely the quietest I have ever been in. Virtually no creaking at all.

We never closed the folding doors which can seperate the 'veranda' from the rest of the cabin. I wonder if closing them or not ensuring that they are folded open securely causes creaking.

2 hours ago, Darspurs said:

I Have done 23 cruises and this cabin was definitely the quietest I have ever been in. Virtually no creaking at all.

Did you have rough seas during your cruise? Those of us who have experienced the unusually loud noises have noted that they occurred only when skirting a storm. By the way, we kept the IV doors open. This was not rattling doors, furniture or shade. It was loud banging and knocking in the ceiling of the cabin. It occurred one night of 15. The other 14 nights were quiet.

Edited by Silkroad

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

What do you mean the cabins broke away?  Broke away from what?  Dislodge from the other cabins,  shift out of alignment?

At least two stanchions snapped in two.  Each of the three cabins is a metal module so yes they broke away from the stanchions and were out of alignment with a lot of banging and grinding.  Things settled down after the storm passed.  There were three engineers from Meyer Werft, the shipbuilders, that met the ship at our first port.

• Thanks 1