Is Delta strict on carry on bag size?

VegasVic14

First time flying Delta (not first class/business class) with a carry on is raising a question. Their 22x14x9 is often shown as "mandatory" limits but other sources indicate that the 45" total linear is the standard, which makes 23x13x9 allowable. What is everyone experiencing? Thanks.

While I don't have any specific experience with this when it comes to Delta, I would prepare for what Delta officially says is the limit. They may or may not strictly enforce it...but what happens if they do? Then you're scrambling to check the bag, get what you need/want out of it, etc. If "other sources" are not Delta's official policy, they won't carry much weight when push comes to shove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This information is found on DL's webpage.  Your bag won't fit and is clearly too big for a carry-on.

• Individual length, width and height measurements may not exceed 22” x 14” x 9” (56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm) respectively 
  • These measurements include any handles or wheels.

Edited by 6rugrats

3 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

First time flying Delta (not first class/business class) with a carry on is raising a question. Their 22x14x9 is often shown as "mandatory" limits but other sources indicate that the 45" total linear is the standard, which makes 23x13x9 allowable. What is everyone experiencing? Thanks.

You need to look at the limitations for combined dimensions and individual dimensions.  6rugrats highlighted the restriction for an individual carry-on bag.

• Like 1

Let me just chime in here. We fly DL often and have never seen DL check carryon bags. In front of us recently was a couple with 3 carryons each and backpacks filled to almost exploding. And in back of us was a girl with two carryons a backpack a large purse and a dog carrier.

I for one wish the gate agents would start enforcing policy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

This information is found on DL's webpage.  Your bag won't fit and is clearly too big for a carry-on.

• Individual length, width and height measurements may not exceed 22” x 14” x 9” (56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm) respectively 
  • These measurements include any handles or wheels.

The website also shows this. My 23X13x9 fits this requirement.

dl.PNG

DL has baggage sizers, both at check-in counters and at gates.  If an agent wants you to put your bag in the sizer, it had best fit those dimensions, because that's what they will go by.  The sizers eliminate the need for the agent to use a tape measure - it's just a simple "does it fit or doesn't it".

They are especially effective with the bulging "expandable" carry-ons that look as if the bag is eight months pregnant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasVic14 said:

The website also shows this. My 23X13x9 fits this requirement.

dl.PNG

It's oversized.  A bag that's 24x10x10 is less than 45 linear inches but not acceptable because its length is greater than 22" and its width is greater than 9".

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Let me just chime in here. We fly DL often and have never seen DL check carryon bags. In front of us recently was a couple with 3 carryons each and backpacks filled to almost exploding. And in back of us was a girl with two carryons a backpack a large purse and a dog carrier.

I for one wish the gate agents would start enforcing policy.

Amen, half of the boarding time is taken up by people trying to cram outrageously large stuff into the overheads.  There's no room in front, take it back...there's no room in back take it up front.  Then when you deplane it takes forever as people again try to deal with their outrageously large stuff.  Then there's the people that can't manage to lift their own...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

I'm not sure that my 23x13x9 is "outrageously large" and qualifies me as being "that person" who's going to hold up boarding, but thank you for the assumptions. 

1.  I didn't say 23x13x9 was outrageously large, but it does exceed the dimensions outlined by Delta.  I don't know where the 45 total linear inches came from on their website, but the commonly quoted dimensions are the 22x13x9 individual dimensions.

2.  I wasn't making any assumptions per se, just proactively offering additional advice about carry-on bags.  Many bags fit the linear dimension limits unpacked, but have outer pockets that people often stuff full, without really thinking about the fact that it changes the dimensions.  I observe pax struggling to get these types of bags in the overhead frequently.