Nieuw Amsterdam - new process in Lido

iflyrc5

As of a couple days ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Lido they have changed the serving process and now have tongs out (which some people don't use) and are allowing guests to get their own cookies, sandwiches, rolls, shrimp cocktail,  etc..  Not really a fan of this.  We have lots of kids on this week and have personally witnessed hands and not tongs being use and things being taken and put back.  Not a good practice.

• Thanks 1

On the Rotterdam and this is happening as well. Caught us off guard cause we were on the 11-9 to 11-20 sailing and doing B2B and the first leg there were no tongs. But cruise that started 11-20 , now there are tongs. 

Thank goodness this isn't happening on the koningsdam yet.  There are enough people that were raised by wolves.  Before someone asks I see dirty dishes everywhere.  I see them in the hallway, plates in the  elevator, on the railing.  Pretty much anywhere you can drop something.  Lazy, lazy people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank goodness this isn't happening on the koningsdam yet.  There are enough people that were raised by wolves.  Before someone asks I see dirty dishes everywhere.  I see them in the hallway, plates in the  elevator, on the railing.  Pretty much anywhere you can drop something.  Lazy, lazy people.

Sounds like a Carnival "fun" ship. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Gross- I see in grocery stores people get a free sample of food when they walk in the door then leave their dirty plate on a grocery shelf

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Gross- I see in grocery stores people get a free sample of food when they walk in the door then leave their dirty plate on a grocery shelf

Yes DW used to work for a grocery store and would find all kinds of partially eaten food stuck in shelves. "They" are not just on ships. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

As of a couple days ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Lido they have changed the serving process and now have tongs out (which some people don't use) and are allowing guests to get their own cookies, sandwiches, rolls, shrimp cocktail,  etc..  

It’s the same on the Statendam for those that are counting.

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

Sounds like we are back to pre pandemic cruising. ☹️ some people have learned lessons, others will be doomed to repeat. Just hope the rest of us are not doomed. 

Nope.. Even pre-pandemic, the staff served you in the lido. If true, this is something entirely different..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

As of a couple days ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Lido they have changed the serving process and now have tongs out (which some people don't use) and are allowing guests to get their own cookies, sandwiches, rolls, shrimp cocktail,  etc..  

Probably cost cutting. Requires fewer servers. Possibly caused by staff shortage due to covid?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

As of a couple days ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Lido they have changed the serving process and now have tongs out (which some people don't use) and are allowing guests to get their own cookies, sandwiches, rolls, shrimp cocktail,  etc..  Not really a fan of this.  We have lots of kids on this week and have personally witnessed hands and not tongs being use and things being taken and put back.  Not a good practice.

It was that way on Zaandam during our October cruise for those items. Salads, main course hot foods and sides, ice cream, and foods from various stations were still served by the Lido staff.

Several signs appeared throughout Lido, including one that advised diners not to fill their personal water bottles directly from the beverage/ice dispensers. Another recommended washing hands before dining.

54 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Nope.. Even pre-pandemic, the staff served you in the lido. If true, this is something entirely different..

I was always using able to use tongs to get cookies, sandwiches, meats, fruit, etc pre pandemic. The main entree section was served by crew but the Lido sections by the cookies/deserts and far end sandwiches, chips, fruit, bread were self serve. Even back then people picked off food and put back partially eaten plates. Unless Nvirus or flu outbreak happened and HAL pulled in the reins. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sea42 said:

What is it that you like about it?

My opinion.   I think if people can get small items like breads, cookies, etc… it enhances traffic flow.  Some people are only there for a quick bite not a full meal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KroozNut said:

No we were able to take breads, cookies, prepared salads, sandwiches and appetizers pre-pandemic.  We could no serve ourselves from communal dishes like casseroles

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KroozNut said:

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No we were able to take breads, cookies, prepared salads, sandwiches and appetizers pre-pandemic.  We could no serve ourselves from communal dishes like casseroles

I think it depended on what ship you were on.  On the Westerdam and Rotterdam when I was on, (I believe beginning in 2016) everything was served.

On the Prinsendam (which had far fewer passengers and very seasoned ones who seemed to know to follow rules) we could get our own salads and cheese and breads.  Everything else was served IIRC.  I had no issues with that on the Prinsendam as I never saw anyone not use the tools properly.

7 hours ago, dwc13 said:

It was that way on Zaandam during our October cruise for those items. Salads, main course hot foods and sides, ice cream, and foods from various stations were still served by the Lido staff.

Several signs appeared throughout Lido, including one that advised diners not to fill their personal water bottles directly from the beverage/ice dispensers. Another recommended washing hands before dining.

Signs are usually ignored.  Rules for thee and not for me, as the saying goes.

• Like 2