Formal night ?

lefy

I apologize if I already posted this question but I've been searching for this post & I can't find it. 

My question is if formal night on the Regal Princess is optional or mandatory in the main dining room.

On other cruise lines it's been optional but i was told that on Princesss without a jacket, I will not be allowed in the main dining room on formal night.

Can anyone tell me what their experience has been on Princess.    

The main dining rooms observe formal nights, but formal isn’t what it use to be- very few tuxes anymore.  Lots of suits or men in sport coats but also plenty of men dressed in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt.  You won’t be turned away without a jacket. 

• Like 1

Just about anything is now allowed on formal evenings in the DR. Even a jacket & tie seem to be taking a back seat to a pair of Dockers & Polo shirt. Lots of men like the more relaxed mode of dressing while still enjoying the better food in the DR. The women have always had it easier to conform, wearing a pair of slacks with any dressy top.

My husband just bought a pair of black jeans for our next for our next formal nights cruise. 

Don't let that stop you from dressing up, if you feel the need.

• Like 3

I don't understand why people have a problem with dressing up?  We dress to attend weddings and formal occasions at home.  Is it truly a big deal for a man to wear a jacket, shirt and tie?  A lady to wear a skirt and blouse, dressy pants and tops or a dress?  I had enough of "stretch pants" and jogging type clothes during covid.  Time to celebrate!  Perhaps we all need to get new clothes a size or two larger!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I don't understand why people have a problem with dressing up?  We dress to attend weddings and formal occasions at home.  Is it truly a big deal for a man to wear a jacket, shirt and tie?  A lady to wear a skirt and blouse, dressy pants and tops or a dress?  I had enough of "stretch pants" and jogging type clothes during covid.  Time to celebrate!  Perhaps we all need to get new clothes a size or two larger!

For us, it's pure economics. Carrying a heavy suit for me and my wife's "formalwear" puts us WAY over our airline baggage allotment (we are always right at the limit anyway) and would add a lot to the cost of the trip in baggage overages. Can't be bothered. FWIW, on our two trips out of New York this summer, where we could drive and be immune to airline policies, we did carry all the gear.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I don't understand why people have a problem with dressing up?  We dress to attend weddings and formal occasions at home.  Is it truly a big deal for a man to wear a jacket, shirt and tie?  

My DH used to take a tux on all of our cruises years ago.  Now, we would never even go to dinner if he has to take a jacket … so, in answer to your question, yes, it is a big deal for him to wear a jacket.  He wears black Dockers and a nice dress shirt, mostly with a tie but never even brings a jacket anymore.  We’ve not once been turned away and we’ve seen others that are dressed way more casual than him.  Never have we been negatively impacted by what others wear … 

• Like 4

I am not at all negatively impacted by what other wear- However to say that for example, a dressy top and nice slacks or a skirt weighs  more than less formal attire puzzles me.  Also, many men wear their sports jackets on the airplane, and other attire weights the same.  But that is me.   Of course it is a personal choice.  Also I find the ships cool at night as the AC is always on high, so jackets are actually helpful.

Edited by Cruise a holic

21 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I am not at all negatively impacted by what other wear- However to say that for example, a dressy top and nice slacks or a skirt weighs  more than less formal attire puzzles me.  Also, many men wear their sports jackets on the airplane, and other attire weights the same.  But that is me.   Of course it is a personal choice.  Also I find the ships cool at night as the AC is always on high, so jackets are actually helpful.

For us, it’s not even so much a weigh issue but a space issue in the luggage for something he wears just for a couple of hours.   Plus, he just doesn’t enjoy wearing a jacket anymore and since it is no longer required, he doesn’t pack one.  
Also, I’ve noticed that the heat is ticked up a bit on formal nights in the dining rooms as women are sometimes wearing sleeveless dresses.  

• Like 3

In the Princess Theater (725 seats) on formal night, there were MAYBE 10 guys in a tux. Maybe 100 in suits. Another 100 in jackets. The vast majority in pants and polo shirts. Quite honestly, the really dressed up folks looked like maybe cruise newbies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sabreline said:

In the Princess Theater (725 seats) on formal night, there were MAYBE 10 guys in a tux. Maybe 100 in suits. Another 100 in jackets. The vast majority in pants and polo shirts. Quite honestly, the really dressed up folks looked like maybe cruise newbies.

They'll quickly learn. 

I suspect we'll see a turn to the more casually dressed folks in another year or so after the newbies realize they don't have to stuff their suitcases with the formal clothing just to please others for 2 hours or so on a formal night. 

• Like 3

I don't care what people wear on a cruise. My family of 4 (mom, dad, 2 kids, one is a Freshman in college, one in HS) all enjoy dressing up. We dress for ourselves, and enjoy it. We live close to our home port, so we pack it up and bring it all along. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

It does weigh more because formal wear for men - tux or suit or jacket, plus dress shoes - is in addition to the normal clothing we would wear on non-formal nights, and not only adds more weight, but also takes up more space. It's simple physics.

And I don't find the dining rooms too cold, so a jacket is too hot and constricting to wear while dining.

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

@lefy...you should get into the habit of "following" any thread that you have started for the very reason you stated; "I can't find my thread".  At the top of your listing in the upper-right corner you will see: 

follow.jpg

Click on the word "Follow" and then you will receive an email whenever someone replies to your topic.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

It does weigh more because formal wear for men - tux or suit or jacket, plus dress shoes - is in addition to the normal clothing we would wear on non-formal nights, and not only adds more weight, but also takes up more space. It's simple physics.

And I don't find the dining rooms too cold, so a jacket is too hot and constricting to wear while dining.

We can agree to disagree and my DH is a physicist!  Wear the heavy dress shoes/loafers on the plane and the jacket-  50 lbs is a decent amount for luggage- we also take a carry-on!  Surely you bring  more then one pair of shoes, sandals and sneakers.  

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We can agree to disagree and my DH is a physicist!  Wear the heavy dress shoes/loafers on the plane and the jacket-  50 lbs is a decent amount for luggage- we also take a carry-on!  Surely you bring  more then one pair of shoes, sandals and sneakers.  

I am going on a cruise in a few days. My checked luggage is at 43 pounds. No way would I even attempt to put a full Formal outfit in there.  This is for a 10 day cruise.  And I bring more than one pair of shoes and each has a specific multi day purpose. Also what I wear on the plane also has the same reason.

I just love how people seem to know more about my needs/desires than I do.  Some things never change.

• Like 4

I am just making what I believe to be helpful suggestions.  Of course everyone should make their own decisions- you don't have to agree with my suggestions, but I am truly trying to help those who might be interested.

Have sailed on 50 cruises the past 20 years, mostly celebrity and royal, so I am just trying to give some suggestions.  Everyone has to enjoy their vacation as they see fit.  I am not being disrespectful  Sorry if some might misinterpret my remarks.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I wore a suit at work for many years. Never liked it. Do not even have a suit now. I was rummaging in the back of the closet for something while packing for the next cruise and found a pair of dress shoes. I tried them on and remembered how much I disliked them. Threw them out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NownZen said:

I wore a suit at work for many years. Never liked it. Do not even have a suit now. I was rummaging in the back of the closet for something while packing for the next cruise and found a pair of dress shoes. I tried them on and remembered how much I disliked them. Threw them out.

My husband did the same thing with his ties. I can still see the smile on his face as he tossed them. 😁

You know I would prefer not to dress up but my wife loves the whole formal night. She loves getting a new dress and loves taking a new formal pics as us as a couple every cruise. She and all of those other ladies who look so nice with their hair and makeup and nails done and a nice dress makes me say oh hell she went through all of this trouble so putting on a tie and jacket is the least I can do for her. Everyone do what you feel works best for you. Have a blessed day!

Edited by dandonna
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I bring one pair of comfortable walking shoes, one pair of sandals, and one pair of brown leather shoes for dinner- shoes I wear often during a cruise. I don't need to bring yet another pair of shoes that I will only wear a couple of hours during the entire cruise.

Not that it is any business of yours. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't do formal. In the dozen cruises I've done, I've only sailed out of my homeport once. Most of the cruises have sailed from northern hemisphere ports, so I do other travel as well as a cruise. Definitely no room for carrying formal clothes that would only be worn for a short time on one or two occasions. I just don't go to the dining room that evening but do go to the theatre if I want to. Some people get great joy from dressing up and having photos taken, so the cruise line is accomodating everyone as far as I can see.

• Like 3