The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday November 22nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is Love Your Freckles Day, National Cranberry Relish Day, and Go For A Ride Day

I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?--Ernest Hemingway

Meal Suggestion for today - Winter Squash and Lentil Stew
Drink of the Day - Sour Apple Highball
Wine of the Day - Herdade do Esporao 2020 Reserva White (Alentejo)
Destination of the Day - Topolobampo, Mexico

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Limon (San Jose), Costa Rica eta 11/23

Koningsdam

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 11/23

Nieuw Statendam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 23:00

Oosterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 10:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Philipsburg, Sint Maarten 7:00am 4:00pm

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Cape Town, South Africa eta 11/23

Zuiderdam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 14:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Darwin, NT Australia eta 11/24

Westerdam

Sydney, NSW Australia 06:00 -

1122World.thumb.png.941a3429c13ac2a97ab66fed0b89cdde.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another cold morning here, but at least it's not snowing.🙂  I have a dentist appointment this morning, just a cleaning.

I don't have freckles.  I like cranberry relish, but usually just buy a can of the jellied stuff.  With the price of gas, I don't think I'll go for a ride in a car, and I don't have a horse to ride on.  Guess, I'll just walk.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal.

I'd like to try the drink, hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good selection of days as I like cranberry sauce and I love taking drives but I don't have freckles.

The quote is probably true for Hemingway as he had issues.

Pass on the food and drink.

USA with a disappointing tie against Wales in their first game in the World Cup, if they want to make it out of the group round and advance they must now get at least a tie against England on Friday and then beat Iran while England beats Wales. Of course there are other scenarios like the USA beating England but I'm going with the most probable.

My finger is getting better and I feel like I can play golf but I'll wait until I see the hand surgeon next Tuesday to get the OK from him. I still have slight swelling on the tip and it's still a little sore when touching things. The thing is that I have an interlocking golf grip and my left forefinger never comes in contact with the grip on the club, I tried swinging the club a few times without any pain at all.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 23

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days. I’ll pass on the freckles & going for a ride day.  Not going anywhere yet 😉 yum on cranberry relish.

LOL on the Hemingway quote.  I’m starting to think that applies to me too 😉 That wine sounds like a good one - looking forward to the description.

My excitement for today will be to try to navigate the stairs to get stuff I need since my luggage is still missing.  I called last night and asked how it could be so hard to find when it had the big PRIORITY orange tag on it.  When he heard I had an air tag in it and knew it was at Pearson, I could hear his heart sink.  It’s at Pearson dummies - go get it.

0B479399-0161-48FC-9D59-2F8BED350760.thumb.jpeg.abcfabd5451a99996082769cd367d913.jpeg

I did get my insurance claim done - OMG what a PITA.  If I didn’t have major money involved, I would have probably given up (most likely what the insurance company wants).  Now to see if they pay 🤞 

Brutally cold here - too cold for November and more snow is coming later.  Grrr - It’s way too early for this 😔 but I’ve figured out why it’s happening…

7BAF264F-A1BC-42F0-827D-567638FD3DF0.jpeg.4e062cdebcd9683e1f51effe06580b00.jpeg

since I’m stuck here, I might as well take on my other fight I have and get that over with too.  Can’t do anything else so I might as well buckle down and get it done.  LOL.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

9090D2C2-2E6E-4D3C-BEBF-391D789CB787.jpeg.39b84ec3c2807fbadf42afc75ffa7b2c.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone and stay safe !!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I should be caught up with work emails today.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and will have pork chops instead.  Last night Mona decided to curl up beside me and we both got to sleep through the night, no demands for pets and rubs.  I need to start packing for our trip to PA.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.803be8d5e6efa17b28d45e7e1770b350.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 9

46 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

USA with a disappointing tie against Wales in their first game in the World Cup, if they want to make it out of the group round and advance they must now get at least a tie against England on Friday and then beat Iran while England beats Wales. Of course there are other scenarios like the USA beating England but I'm going with the most probable.

Wales was much more eager than the USA players to get to the ball when the score was 1-0. USA ended up making an unnecessary foul in the penalty box because they were playing soft and not pushing the ball up the field. Wales was also allowed to keep rested because the officials were accommodating all of their flops as if they were serious injuries. Then he didn't add all of the stoppage time back on, at the end of the game. 

A tie with England would be a miracle.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a chilly, but not windy central Texas.  Like most of the Dailyites, this cold spell is way to early, but you can't change the weather.  I'll be heading to Waco early since today is DH's weekly evaluation which will determine his discharge date.  

I don't have freckles, and we prefer the canned cranberry jelly to the relish.  Lately, I've been going for a ride just about everyday.  One day on the way home, I took a short detour just to enjoy driving along the Brazos River in Waco.

The Ernest Hemingway is probably true for him.

Today, we'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Topolobampo, and according to Sandi's @StLouisCruisers post on May 5, 2022, they have not been there wither.  Here is the link to Rich's @richwmn post from that day.

The Daily for Thursday 05/05/2022

• richwmn

By richwmn,
May 5 in Holland America Line

@MISTER 67  I'm happy your finger is much improved.  I hope you get the go ahead to golf from the doctor next week.

@kazu  Jacqui, it's a sad state of affairs when you have to tell the airline representative where your missing luggage is.  Hope they get it to you ASAP.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope there are no more problems with the autotrain and you arrive at you destination without more drama.

I hope everyone in the path of the snow storm is safe and warm at home. 

The news from Java is not encouraging, and I hope there are no more fataliities.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good  morning  to all.I made  cranberry  orange relish yesterday in the midst of Thanksgiving prep My DS and family arrive late Wednesday  from New Hampshire.They enjoy the Parade in person on Thanksgiving  morning.DD and I will man the ovens while they do that. This is the first whole family Thanksgiving since 2019 and I am very excited.

My best to all of you.

Terry

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It’s a gloomy, Misty morning here. But still better than 77” of snow! I just can not get that number out of my head!

Roy thank you for keeping up with us, even on the road.  One gym class, a few last minute chores and then I am ready for my “home invasion”. My niece just called to let me know that her SO’s 14 year old son will be coming. His Mom’s family has COVID and he would have to spend the holiday separated from them. Not much fun for him. So life is good and it will be crazy & fun. And maybe, I won’t have as many leftovers. 😎

I needed this one for yesterday’s “Odd sock day”…

71EBBDB0-0664-487B-BB81-DC66F20E84AD.jpeg.c8820b6f450a37b9c9b312da8bf753c3.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Herdade do Esporao 2020 Reserva White (Alentejo)

This white sounds very interesting. I am not familiar with the grapes, but would love to try it.  Luckily, it has aged enough to be enjoyed. If not, it might be a candidate for the Clef du Vin. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $14.97.

Winemaker Notes

Crystal clear, light straw color with green hues. Grapefruit and white peach aromas with subtle notes of mint green complemented with white pepper and nutmeg. Creamy and elegant with balanced fruit and spices presence. Intense and persistent finish.
WE92
Wine Enthusiast

A blend of Antão Vaz, Arinto and Roupeiro, this wood-aged wine is spicy and ripe in toast and yellow-fruit flavors. It is still young and needs some aging. Wait to drink this rich wine from 2022.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I don't have freckles but enjoy cranberry relish.  Does riding in a train count?  Mine is getting a bit longer than expected (ETA now 11:30 rather than 11 but still pleasant.  Interesting quote by Hemmingway.  I have not been to Topolobampo on a cruise but was there on a land trip at the turn of the Century.  It is the Gateway to Mexico's Copper Canyon.  I'll pass on the meal as well.  My alternative is raisin toast, something I rarely get at home but enjoyed my final morning on the Eurodam:

raisin.jpg

@kazu can you even drive?  I wish you had a neighbor who could tackle your stairs and bring down some fresh clothes for you.

Today’s care list:

Sharon recovering from bronchitis
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab with poor prognosis
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Jazzyv digestive issues
Those afecteed by Java earthquake
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief in California
StlouisCruisers meeting Summer Slope in person
6days for SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess 11/28 to 12/12)
4 days for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
4 days for Jazzyv (Apex 11/26 to 12/3)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/19 to 11/26), Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30),  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Prayers for all on our care list.  Thanks to all who post and keep this thread alive.  

Last minute preps for Thursday happening.  Waiting for the cheesecake that was to have been delivered yesterday from a local school group.  Hmmm.  May have to get an additional dessert. 

After the holiday I will begin the packing for our 12/1 trip on Enchantment of the Seas.  DH looks to be ok to travel though there are still many dental visits to come.  It will be nice to get away.

Safe travels for all who will be visiting family.  Katherine 

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Wales was much more eager than the USA players to get to the ball when the score was 1-0. USA ended up making an unnecessary foul in the penalty box because they were playing soft and not pushing the ball up the field. Wales was also allowed to keep rested because the officials were accommodating all of their flops as if they were serious injuries. Then he didn't add all of the stoppage time back on, at the end of the game. 

A tie with England would be a miracle.

I agree with all you said, the US went into a defensive shell in the second half. I did think that 9 minutes added on for stoppage was fair.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've never had freckles . . . until recently - they're freckles, not age spots; that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  I usually add a ground up orange to the cranberries when I'm making them for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but I never really thought of it as being a relish.  Even with the cost of gas, it seems we go for a ride almost every day.

Well we're back - and this is the first morning I've had a real chance to get on the computer.  Being out of touch (note:  Premium Internet on HAL ships is a joke) means I've got lots of reading and catching up to do.  We had an enjoyable trans-Atlantic, made all the more memorable due to @kazu's organization of some amazing tours.  If you're ever on a cruise with Jacqui, be sure to sign up for whatever tour she books; you wont' be sorry.  It was wonderful being able to meet so many CC folks, putting faces to screen names.

The suitcases are unpacked, clothes put away, laundry done, and Sochi is playing her version of "Velcro Cat".  She's normally very quiet, but has been chattering to me almost non-stop;  I'm pretty sure I'm being chastised for having left her.  I don't have the heart to tell her we'll be leaving again in January.  LOL

Not a lot happening today; we're still catching up on our sleep, as we didn't get home until 3AM on Sunday morning due to flight issues in Toronto.  DH has to get a hair cut  and that's about it unless it snows - which it did yesterday and we had to shovel, but not a lot, thankfully!   I'll take a pass on today's menu suggestion, as it doesn't appeal to either of us, but will be serving parmesan crusted chicken breasts, fried rice and steamed asparagus at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all who have something to celebrate. 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. It’s 28 degrees here no w at 8am. Brrrr.

Off to the dentist soon th take care of what I hope is just something under the gum. My grandson was going to test last night to make sure he is over covid. My son hasn’t caught it because he has been wearing an N 95 mask at home. Hopefully everyone will be well.

Jacqui, if I had to do those stairs I would climb up and down on my rear so as not to incur any possible accidents.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good cold and sunny morning. 59 years ago today was the death of President Kennedy. My birthday is always marked by this moment. 
   I guess we’re going out for dinner tonight. Birthday’s aren’t the celebration they used to be.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and sunny morning. 59 years ago today was the death of President Kennedy. My birthday is always marked by this moment. 
   I guess we’re going out for dinner tonight. Birthday’s aren’t the celebration they used to be.

Happy birthday.  Sometimes we just need to celebrate getting to the next one.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

No early morning errands today.  I'm going to take advantage of the warm up in temperatures to get in a nice outdoor walk.  Then, I'll start making pies.  

Today's meal continues our run on butternut squash.  I do think the butternut squash could be replaced by acorn squash or even sweet potatoes.  I think I would like the seasonings and flavors in this dish, but the carbs are a deterrent to me. I can handle one of the main ingredients, but all three put me over the top.     https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/butternut-squash-chickpea-lentil-moroccan-stew/

1225827007_wintersquashandlentilstew1.thumb.jpg.76fcbfa6d5583199fe10886468d3f014.jpg

This next one looks even better.  Without the chickpeas the carb count comes down, so maybe a couple of bites?  https://www.eatwell101.com/coconut-butternut-lentil-stew-recipe

1942855015_wintersquashandlentilstew2.thumb.jpg.35725c90fb4f0c05e3b3fa9f39aa87fd.jpg

This next one uses a combination of brown and green lentils and says you can substitute pumpkin for the butternut squash, or even (horrors!) carrots.  https://www.supperwithmichelle.com/2016/11/butternut-squash-and-lentil-stew/

976246356_Wintersquashandlentilstew3.thumb.jpg.61e3964477fa36d63336940deb34753d.jpg

This last one is from the American Heart Association and claims the title of Healthy.  Still, there are a few too many carbs for me.  https://recipes.heart.org/en/recipes/moroccan-lentil-stew-with-butternut-squash

342334182_Wintersquashandlentilstew4.jpg.ddf08cb30df654ac23cd9dae2beb2b81.jpg

Here's hoping one of these works.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

25 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Have a great birthday!

Some days are etched in our minds forever as we remember exactly what we were doing like the Kennedy assassination, July 20, 1969 when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and the terrorist attack on the USA on 9.11.2001. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I'm not prone to freckles, but a restaurant near me is offering family-recipe cranberry relish for the benefit of charity: they keep $1 for the jar and donate the rest.  A west-coast cruise to Mexico is probably not in my future, but you never know. The meal suggestion would be OK and I have honeynut squashes coming from Misfits today, the cocktail less so, but I would really like some raisin toast right now.

624520074_motivationalbarker.thumb.jpg.c56be71818b7b1555487dc6dcf2b9cd4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 9

@1ANGELCAT a very happy birthday to you 🙂 

4AD3F175-98A4-4279-AE7E-330634CB08CE.jpeg.2ce0b5ad6cb163ec162349413f40509c.jpeg

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu can you even drive?  I wish you had a neighbor who could tackle your stairs and bring down some fresh clothes for you.

I don’t see why not, Roy.  It’s my left foot not my right and I think by tomorrow with luck I can manage with a cane for my appointment.  If I’m worried, I’ll put the walker in the car too.

I didn’t want to ask my neighbour  and I had to try it.  I will have you know I got up and down with the stuff I needed 👍 Took a bag up, filled it, zipped it shut and tossed it and my towel down the stairs and then went down 😉 

I did not too bad upstairs with the cane - wouldn’t want to do it too long, yet but I did it.  Foot seems to be improving.

22 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We had an enjoyable trans-Atlantic, made all the more memorable due to @kazu's organization of some amazing tours.  If you're ever on a cruise with Jacqui, be sure to sign up for whatever tour she books; you wont' be sorry.  It was wonderful being able to meet so many CC folks, putting faces to screen names.

Ahh thanks.  Glad you enjoyed them.  And thanks to you and Maurice for helping with the wine tasting and a few other things - and the company at Miami airport.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  I am getting ready to go back to the rehab this morning.  My DSIL texted me last night at 2:30 am that he is back at the rehab.  She said his return was delayed, probably waiting for transport.  His BP is normal HR still elevated and they put him on a new antibiotic.   They both must be exhausted.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports!    I never had freckles when I was young or my skin was thick enough that they didn't show.  Now I have massive ones all over.   I went until I was 60 before I had to use foundation, now it is a necessity.   My Thanksgiving cranberry relish is already made.  I used 2 bags of cranberries, a large jar of Smucker's orange marmalade, a bit of sugar and threw in a large handful of dried cherries.   It will be good on Thursday.   I will be going for a ride down the highway to visit DB.   I will pass on the squash and lentils, wait on the drink and would try the vino.  Never have been to Topolambo.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  Thank you for your messages and prayers about my DB.   A photo DF sent me this morning to brighten my day, I hope it does you too.   A Rose Breasted Grosbeak at my jelly feeder last spring.  Have a good day!   Nancy 

RBG and finch 112222.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26