Death by a thousand cuts

Tom-n-Cheryl

It's really all about the little things.

Surprise #1 was boarding the Reflection on Sunday and learning that The Porch is no longer open on port days for lunch... OK...

Today, while enjoying my favorite burger (Signature) at the Lawn Club Grill, I asked about getting a dessert, specifically the warm chocolate cookie w/ice cream. I was told, "no, that's only for dinner". I asked when that changed (since I had both that and the blueberry dessert at the Lawn Club Grill in February for lunch). I was told, "no, we've never served dessert at lunch, only dinner". The fact that I then showed them time stamped (12:43 pm) photos of those desserts on our last cruise didn't seem to matter.

Obviously daylight, and obviously, the same table:

PXL_20220301_171454444-L.jpg

PXL_20220301_174349745-L.jpg

DAMN.... what else do you think is flying under the radar, in the quest to trim away the fat? !!   It's not like the rate on suites is going down - in fact, the room we're in this Thanksgiving week is nearly $5,000 MORE next Thanksgiving... NO THANKSgiving !!!

Tom

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's really all about the little things.

Surprise #1 was boarding the Reflection on Sunday and learning that The Porch is no longer open on port days for lunch... OK...

Today, while enjoying my favorite burger (Signature) at the Lawn Club Grill, I asked about getting a dessert, specifically the warm chocolate cookie w/ice cream. I was told, "no, that's only for dinner". I asked when that changed (since I had both that and the blueberry dessert at the Lawn Club Grill in February for lunch). I was told, "no, we've never served dessert at lunch, only dinner". The fact that I then showed them time stamped (12:43 pm) photos of those desserts on our last cruise didn't seem to matter.

Obviously daylight, and obviously, the same table:

DAMN.... what else do you think is flying under the radar, in the quest to trim away the fat? !!   It's not like the rate on suites is going down - in fact, the room we're in this Thanksgiving week is nearly $5,000 MORE next Thanksgiving... NO THANKSgiving !!!

Tom

Hopefully you have spoken with someone about your disappointments concerning these cuts while on your cruise and will follow it up in your PCS. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully you have spoken with someone about your disappointments concerning these cuts while on your cruise and will follow it up in your PCS. 

I don't want to run down and bring these things up as they occur, but once our cruises are complete, I'll get it all together (hopefully not adding anything else). Though, I'd imagine that most people either don't notice the changes, or don't care. That won't stop me from speaking up!

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I don't want to run down and bring these things up as they occur, but once our cruises are complete, I'll get it all together (hopefully not adding anything else). Though, I'd imagine that most people either don't notice the changes, or don't care. That won't stop me from speaking up!

Tom

I agree. While on the cruise go with the flow, unless it's something really bad that needs immediate attention. After the cruise on the PCS, game on. Two things we've never had to do. 🤞

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Tom, I simply don’t understand the ‘missing desserts’…Hardly high cost items! 

Also totally understand you missing The Porch, we found it a real perk on port days.

All guests board with expectations….Our expectations are usually based on past experiences and things we have read on CC or seen or read about on YouTube or other social media platforms. 

I do strongly suggest you ask to speak to the Retreat Manager or the Food and Beverages  Manager and simply say your expectations have not been met…They really need to know that some ‘penny pinching’ initiatives are not appreciated. Not suggesting you dull your holiday by complaining, more suggesting that you simply would like to share your observations….

I do understand that Celebrity (along with the whole hospitality industry) is (quite rightly) looking at cost cutting and working more efficiently but I fail to see how a cookie and blob of ice cream hits their profits but I can clearly see how it could hit their sales…

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Personally I would raise it whilst onboard. Not in a confrontational manner but with a little humour and a "I was wondering why?" as the Hotel Directors have said on numerous occasions if you don't tell them they have no opportunity to correct the issue or to explain why they can't do something.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Personally I would raise it whilst onboard. Not in a confrontational manner but with a little humour and a "I was wondering why?" as the Hotel Directors have said on numerous occasions if you don't tell them they have no opportunity to correct the issue or to explain why they can't do something.

I would too.  I once had a seriously undercooked French Toast( raw inside).  I sent it back( in Aqua Class) they replaced it.  Later, they sent something to my room.  You need to give them the opportunity to make things right. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, the penguins said:

100% agree.  Otherwise from shoreside, if you even receive a response at all it'll probably be along the lines of "thank you for your feedback".

• Like 6

It doesn’t surprise me the Porch is closed for lunch on port days.  What does surprise use me is that the Porch is open at all.  Spent 2weeks on the Reflection and never saw anyone there at lunch on sea days.  Dinner didn’t do too well either.  The most we saw in there was 4 people.  

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

It doesn’t surprise me the Porch is closed for lunch on port days.  What does surprise use me is that the Porch is open at all.  Spent 2weeks on the Reflection and never saw anyone there at lunch on sea days.  Dinner didn’t do too well either.  The most we saw in there was 4 people.  

Whilst generally quiet on both our Reflection and Silhouette cruises there were some fellow guests. However,  we did recognise most from Michael’s/Retreat (fellow RS/PH guests dining for no additional cost?)…

As the lunchtime menu is not extensive and the one quality product (seafood tower) is at additional cost I can’t understand why they don’t ‘sell’ the experience better? We did find it a nice venue and used it a lot but if we hadn’t been in a RS or PH would we have paid for the privilege? Debatable…

• Like 1

My DH doesn't like seafood, so we did not dine at The Porch last November on our Reflection cruise.  I hope he will be willing to try in when we sail again in February, since they feature a few non-seafood items like the wings and burger.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I did notice that The Porch (first time it's been open for lunch this cruise) was busy when we walked by - easily a dozen people in there. Perhaps since it's not open every day, the demand is increased on the days it is open. I never noticed it being this busy in February.

Also, the specialty burger lunch at the Lawn Club Gill was busier than it was last time as well - probably  close to 30 people in there. I did see a few people in there that I recognize from Luminae, so I'm guessing a fair % of the people that actually go there are in suites, and thus it may not represent additional income (if they're in top suites).

Then again - noticing that these places were much busier than in February could have to do with the fact that in February, we didn't even have 900 guests onboard. This sailing it's triple that (2,777 last I heard).

Tom

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Same here...  many years ago I used to work for a large international hotel chain, and rule #1 was that when we were staying in our hotels, eating in our own restaurants etc. it was imperative that we always complained (to an appropriate level of manager) about any service or product failings as so many customers fail to do so, allowing a failing to be perpetuated affecting many other customers instead of getting fixed or at the very least, explained.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Whilst generally quiet on both our Reflection and Silhouette cruises there were some fellow guests. However,  we did recognise most from Michael’s/Retreat (fellow RS/PH guests dining for no additional cost?)…

As the lunchtime menu is not extensive and the one quality product (seafood tower) is at additional cost I can’t understand why they don’t ‘sell’ the experience better? We did find it a nice venue and used it a lot but if we hadn’t been in a RS or PH would we have paid for the privilege? Debatable…

Agreed, regarding suite guests.

I think we'd still opt for it, though it's a no brainer when it's included !

Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I did notice that The Porch (first time it's been open for lunch this cruise) was busy when we walked by - easily a dozen people in there. Perhaps since it's not open every day, the demand is increased on the days it is open. I never noticed it being this busy in February.

Also, the specialty burger lunch at the Lawn Club Gill was busier than it was last time as well - probably  close to 30 people in there. I did see a few people in there that I recognize from Luminae, so I'm guessing a fair % of the people that actually go there are in suites, and thus it may not represent additional income (if they're in top suites).

Then again - noticing that these places were much busier than in February could have to do with the fact that in February, we didn't even have 900 guests onboard. This sailing it's triple that (2,777 last I heard).

Tom

Ask the security person who scans your card on port days when getting on or off the ship, "could you please tell me the exact number of total passengers on this sailing?"

• Like 2

I could put together a more comprehensive list (but I won't) which would include:

What happened to the pastry cage that used to come with the Goat Cheese Souffle in Murano's?

What happened to the harpist who used to play in Ocean Liner's ?

Why is Château Lafite Rothschild no longer a component of the wine pairing menu?

Something tells me that there's already been numerous lists pertaining to what people miss on (the old) Celebrity!

Tom

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Why is Château Lafite Rothschild no longer a component of the wine pairing menu?

Tom--I assume this last bit was was tongue-in-cheek?  Or was this truly an option in the past?!!  Given current prices even for an off-vintage bottle, the pricing would be stratospheric.

7 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Tom--I assume this last bit was was tongue-in-cheek?  Or was this truly an option in the past?!!  Given current prices even for an off-vintage bottle, the pricing would be stratospheric.

Actually it was! We tried the wine pairing menu (I think it was ~$95pp extra?) on the Century, and upon tasting that wine, I was sold on reds. Prior to that, during my earlier wine years, I had not ventured down the red path. Of course, it was difficult following that, as many traditional reds fell short. I think we ended up purchasing 2-3 bottles on future cruises, but have not in several years now. 

I was curious, so I went back through some old emails (this was from 2008, Carnival Glory). If I saw a bottle for $198 now, I'd definitely give it a go. Of course, on Carnival, they have an ongoing promo where you get 50% off wines in the Steakhouse on the first night, and the first "cruise elegant" night. That puts Dom, Caymus Special, etc, down near the $100 price point, a relative value at sea!!

---------------------------------

Hi Tom,

We do have Chateau Lafite Rothschild on board.

The following vintage are available

1983, 1985, 1989 & 1993 and the prices are between $198 - $395 excluding 15 % gratuity.
Thank you,

Tiz
Emerald Room
Ext: 1078
Beeper: 34189

------------------------------

Needless to say, Carnival no longer stocks such wines...

Tom

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I could put together a more comprehensive list (but I won't) which would include:

What happened to the pastry cage that used to come with the Goat Cheese Souffle in Murano's?

Something tells me that there's already been numerous lists pertaining to what people miss on (the old) Celebrity!

Tom

Tom - I miss sailing on the Mercury, do not like the infinite veranda and the app is awful.  Could list about 50 other things that have changed.  I think most of us that started cruising many years ago like the way it was better than "Cruising 2022".

Your point is valid and as others said best made to a manager while on board.  If enough people make note of a change it is reversed  - such as chocolate on the pillow at night.  The problem today is cruising has fundamentally changed because of crazy price increases for both labor and materials; while cruiselines attempt to provide a product that is priced within the budgets of the masses.

I have chosen to make an occasional comment to both a manager while onboard AND the executive office in Miami.  But today one in reality has three choices for the majority of cutbacks - go with the flow, get upset and ruin our experience or find another venue for travel.

PS Château Lafite has gone up a lot

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Glad you're having fun!

2 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

With respect to the Lawn Club Grill, this is a prix fix lunch and there was no desserts on the menu? Or there were desserts but not the desserts you wanted? Thanks

Desserts were no longer offered. I would have opted for the warm chocolate chip cookie, and ate every bit of it. Frankly, I probably would have regretted that though (a touch of indigestion following the burger and wine), so perhaps it was for the best --- LOL

Gearing up for Murano this evening - and my cageless goat cheese souffle. 🙂  

Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2