Westerdam dry dock information

7 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Any update on what was done to Westerdam during drydock now that she is sailing again?

The main things were maintenance items:  Cleaning of the hull, removing barnacles, some maintenance on engines and props, paint touch up, etc. No big new features added, just standard maintenance. 

16 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Any update on what was done to Westerdam during drydock now that she is sailing again?

On Westerdam now. In addition to the mechanical stuff, a lot of carpet was replaced in the main public areas.

• Like 1

Please let me know how the ship and the trip is on the Westerdam, going on her in June and looking for all the information I can. 
so they did not upgrade any bedding or curtains in the rooms I take it.

mainly interred in your take on the food.

thank you so much!!!

6 hours ago, leck57 said:

On Westerdam now. In addition to the mechanical stuff, a lot of carpet was replaced in the main public areas.

@leck57

Favor please? Could you check this port forward, deck eight hallway on the Westerdam and tell me if there's any crew doors (and location)?  Many thanks!!

Screenshot_20230125_090033_Navigator.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:22 AM, Queen of DaNile said:

So they did not do away with BB King?  

This is my first cruise with HAL so I'm not really across venues prior to this. However I've not seen BB King mentioned. Other than the main stage the venues seem to be Rollong Stone, Lincoln Centre,  and Billboard deck 2.

16 minutes ago, leck57 said:

This is my first cruise with HAL so I'm not really across venues prior to this. However I've not seen BB King mentioned. Other than the main stage the venues seem to be Rollong Stone, Lincoln Centre,  and Billboard deck 2.

That is correct.  BB King was replaced with Rolling Stone Lounge on Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

That is correct.  BB King was replaced with Rolling Stone Lounge on Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam.

What's in a name?  I ask this because HAL can easily change the name of a lounge, but the real issue is what will the entertainment be in that lounge.  The BB King groups played little to no BB King music but it was still called the "BB King" Lounge.  Will the change to Rolling Stone mean a meaningful change in entertainment, of will they simply repackage the "pick up" BB King" groups and change a few songs in their repertoire?  Time will tell.

Hank

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What's in a name?  I ask this because HAL can easily change the name of a lounge, but the real issue is what will the entertainment be in that lounge.  The BB King groups played little to no BB King music but it was still called the "BB King" Lounge.  Will the change to Rolling Stone mean a meaningful change in entertainment, of will they simply repackage the "pick up" BB King" groups and change a few songs in their repertoire?  Time will tell.

Hank

What's in a name?  Well, it was known at the Queen's Lounge previously, and then BB Kings Blues club and now Rolling Stone Lounge.

I was on Oosterdam last year when the rebranding started.  The band playing was much more rock oriented than previous BBK.  The male singer was seriously into Jim Morrison music.  There was no horn section, which sets BBK apart.  To me it was disappointing that BBK was no longer on the ship as I nearly always enjoyed their music.  

You are right in that there was little if any B.B.King Music, but the soul, RnB, funk was an eclectic mix.

• Like 2

Just now, VMax1700 said:

What's in a name?  Well, it was known at the Queen's Lounge previously, and then BB Kings Blues club and now Rolling Stone Lounge.

I was on Oosterdam last year when the rebranding started.  The band playing was much more rock oriented than previous BBK.  The male singer was seriously into Jim Morrison music.  There was no horn section, which sets BBK apart.  To me it was disappointing that BBK was no longer on the ship as I nearly always enjoyed their music.  

You are right in that there was little if any B.B.King Music, but the soul, RnB, funk was an eclectic mix.

Ahhh, HAL has long found ways to "disappear" horns.  Prior to the HAL Cats, HAL used to have a ship's band which was usually 7 pieces including 2 horns.  When they moved to the HAL Cats, all the horns were gone!  Bottom line for HAL is why have 7 pieces when you can have 4 (with 2 keyboards)?  On the other hand, when we go on the Westy, if the band is doing stuff like "Light my Fire" I will be a happy guy.  

Hank

On 2/5/2023 at 12:18 AM, julia said:

@leck57

Favor please? Could you check this port forward, deck eight hallway on the Westerdam and tell me if there's any crew doors (and location)?  Many thanks!!

Screenshot_20230125_090033_Navigator.jpg

Hi Julia.

I haven't forgotten this request of yours and will check it out.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, leck57 said:

Hi Julia.

I haven't forgotten this request of yours and will check it out.

Sorry for the late reply. There is a large crew door opposite 8018 and a smaller Restricted Access door opposite 8020.

20230210_174622.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, avalon1025 said:

The Westerdam received a full refurbishment of the cabins and interior spaces in 2018 and she should still be in good condition.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:26 AM, CruiseMark said:

The main things were maintenance items:  Cleaning of the hull, removing barnacles, some maintenance on engines and props, paint touch up, etc. No big new features added, just standard maintenance. 

They must not have done much.  I just got off the Westerdam in Tokyo.  Leaving Singapore on Feb 14 we were scheduled for a 4:00 pm departure we left at 10:30 pm no big deal  THEY BLAMED THAT THE SHIP WAS BEING REFUELED AND IT TOOK ALL DAY.  Now this same ship, made up that 6.5 hours and arrived in the first port Jarkata on time. One day at sea.  Next port Boracay we got in two hours early. 
   By contrast we left our last port Surabaya on time but instead got into Singapore hours late. The captain said it was due to "required maintenance" on one of the engines.  Funny the ship just got out of dry dock for maintenance, then was able to make up 6.5 hours but 13 days later needed maintenance and had to crawl to Singapore.  Now I don't know about how fast a large engine on a ship can be repaired but we were in port for less than 24 hours on a Saturday departing at Sunday at 4:00 PM and the remainder of the trip we made it to each port as scheduled.  

In truth the ship was fine in terms of condition.  The operation of the ship was not.  Tenders were a nighmare and all because the procedures were not worked out well.  Some guests waited 2.5 hours for a tender.  Some days the last passengers were not able to get off until 12:30pm.  Not much of a shore experience when you depart at 4:00 pm or 5:00 pm. Food service lines in the Lido were like a Black Friday experience at a Walmart.  No coordination.  Guests could not tell where lines began or ended so it was pretty much a free for all. 

I do enjoy the HAL music debates. FWIW we didn’t like the band in 

the BB King room on Oosterdam last July. It was mainly soul and no

blues. We were therefore delighted to find that the venue had been

converted to The Rolling Stone Lounge and we were able to enjoy

a brilliant seven piece rock band when we boarded Oosterdam in

Valparaiso on 24 February. I congratulate HAL management for doing 

something about about their original idea on the Vista class ships

and changing it for something which did work. It was very popular 

most nights. In addition we had the delightful Meghan and Gabe on

the pianos who filled Billboard Onboard throughout the cruise. I

don’t have the eloquence to describe their wonderful performances,

but I do know I wasn’t alone in appreciating them. To add to the

high quality of the musical offerings the classical quartet provided

alternative experiences played beautifully. There is no other cruise

line which has tried to emulate HAL in providing this range of

music. Bach to Bon Jovi. What’s not to like about that ? It is the

reason we will always try and book cruises on Holland America’s

Pinnacle and Vista Class ships.

• Like 1

@montythecat, I was on the same sailing and couldn't agree more.  The music was outstanding in all venues.  The service was also up to pre-pandemic levels too, in my opinion.  I also really enjoyed the captain's talks.  He was so engaging and made the material so interesting…  even the weather!  A terrific trip for sure.

• Like 1