Westerdam dry dock information

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The Deck 2 Pinnacle Bar on the four Vistas (and the two Signatures) would be a grand location and would work

How about forwarding that suggestion to the appropriate department at HAL Corporate.  Grand Ditch Cafe has been a very welcome addition to HAL ships and fits into the history of the Holland America Line.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

How about forwarding that suggestion to the appropriate department at HAL Corporate.  Grand Ditch Cafe has been a very welcome addition to HAL ships and fits into the history of the Holland America Line.

Sure, go right ahead

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sure, go right ahead

I got really good feedback on my very long and descriptive letter to HAL re: the Alaska itineraries for 2023.  They listened:  Look at the amazing Alaska 28 day Alaska 2024 itinerary!  More than I had hoped for! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

There’s a rumor that they’re adding NY Pizza to Westerdam during this month’s Refurb. I hope so. We’ll find out February 3rd.

That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.  We had to chose between Eurodam and Westerdam and I really wanted the NY Pizza, but cost won out with the wifey.

Crossed the Pacific on Westerdam in Oct-Nov of 2022.  Captain indicated during a Captain's Call Talk in MainStage that during the long COVID pause that the ship's hull became very fouled and that speed was greatly reduced.  He said before starting Alaskan service that the ship was dry-docked and hull blasted and cleaned.  Speed was back up so she could meet speed requirements.

I don't know what else was done, but I thought the ship was in great shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

There’s a rumor that they’re adding NY Pizza to Westerdam during this month’s Refurb. I hope so. We’ll find out February 3rd.

That is hopeful - depending on the source of the rumour, of course. There’s something rather nice about a balmy evening on deck with a glass of wine and a pizza…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for going to the source, Mark!

We were on the cruise just before the dry dock and didn't ask too many questions on board, but were told that the Neptune Lounge is getting completely remodeled to make it more like the one on the Pinnacle-class ships.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruiseMark said:

Bad news:  No pizzeria being added to the Westerdam. I asked HAL on Twitter about the current dry dock and here’s their response.  So it looks like an enhanced library. 

C2BCCC1A-7945-445D-8B6F-853AF5799F36.jpeg

Thank you for your diligent enquiries. Good to know what not to expect in February. I’m feeling hopeful, that despite the lack of pizza, we will still have a newly refreshed ship and maybe well- rested crew too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

I'll be thrilled if the library is enhanced when we get on next month for 27 days!!!

@Queen of DaNile

May I ask a favor when you're onboard the Westerdam next month? Could you please check the port forward hall on Deck Eight (see pic) and tell me if there are crew/ service doors in the circled area?  Thank you in advance!

Screenshot_20230125_090033_Navigator.jpg