After cruise Covid

Mary&Jim

We were on the Oasis Nov 13-20. First time on the Oasis and the cruise was great.

Unfortunately, I picked up Covid on the last day. Vaxed and boosted, so I hope my symptoms stay pretty mild.

I'm re-thinking the pre cruise testing. 

5 minutes ago, Mary&Jim said:

We were on the Oasis Nov 13-20. First time on the Oasis and the cruise was great.

Unfortunately, I picked up Covid on the last day. Vaxed and boosted, so I hope my symptoms stay pretty mild.

So, tell us all how you got Covid on the last day and not the day before, or at the gas station when you drove home, or basically any 5 day period that covid had time to grab a hold of you?  

I'm not saying you did not get it, but really how do you know it was last day?  

How will pre cruise testing help, with getting Covid on exactly the last day which would be 7 days later?

I just saying questions you should ask yourself before posting about Covid. 

• Like 11

Well, I tested negative prior to the cruise. Started to get a sore throat the last night. When we got home, I tested again and it was positive. So, I guess I'm assuming I picked it up sometime during cruise week. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mary&Jim said:

Pre-cruise testing reduces the number of infected passengers boarding - some people will test positive - while many will be infected yet test negative and be allowed on board.  

Testing helps, but not 100%.  It would potentially reduce the number of people getting exposed while on the ship.

• Like 6

The most important thing is to avoid that person who has a cold.  Happened to us on our last cruise- one person had a bad cold, and still went out.  So the morning we got off the ship, one of us was sick- and then the other got it during the trip home.

So we will mask up for big crowds on our next cruises.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary&Jim said:

Well, I tested negative prior to the cruise. Started to get a sore throat the last night. When we got home, I tested again and it was positive. So, I guess I'm assuming I picked it up sometime during cruise week. 

This is exactly what happened to us on our cruise in July 22. Sore throat on the last night … positive at home 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

Sorry to learn of your contracting COVID.  Have you reported this to RCCL?

From what I've read, symptoms can appear 2 to 14 days following exposure - though 2 to 6 days after exposure seems a frequent experience.  

Were there times onboard or off when you wore a facemask?

Get better quick!

I didnt get sick for the first time on my september cruise .

I usually catch a cold half way through .

Wore a mask in the airport and plane on the way down and i think that was 

the factor that made the difference.

I had 4 shots of Pfizer also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

So, tell us all how you got Covid on the last day and not the day before, or at the gas station when you drove home, or basically any 5 day period that covid had time to grab a hold of you?  

I'm not saying you did not get it, but really how do you know it was last day?  

How will pre cruise testing help, with getting Covid on exactly the last day which would be 7 days later?

I just saying questions you should ask yourself before posting about Covid. 

To the OP, please feel free to post on CC anything you feel like posting. Last time I checked  @Joseph2017China was not a moderator on this site. Carry on!

• Like 14

Unfortunately, since covid cases are rising again, we might see some rules implemented again.

I just got an email this week from my doctor that due to rising covid cases, the entire hospital system he is part of is going back to mandatory masking in any building in the system.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

The most important thing is to avoid that person who has a cold.  Happened to us on our last cruise- one person had a bad cold, and still went out.  So the morning we got off the ship, one of us was sick- and then the other got it during the trip home.

So we will mask up for big crowds on our next cruises.

Problem with avoiding is that people can be carriers without showing symptoms at all. But yeah . . . I seriously wish people with symptoms would do a lot better at self-isolation, because of course coughing/sneezing make it way easier to infect others.

Testing is a crap-shoot IMO. It might reduce the odds to some degree, but it's nowhere close to a guarantee of anything.

This past spring, 3 days after returning home I got slammed with something flu-like, not covid. Could have picked it up on the ship, on our last island stop or on the drive home.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ravensfan1973 said:

Is Royal still requiring pre cruise test? I know other lines got rid of it.  I've been out of the loop for a month or so.  We cruise Thanksgiving next year 2023.

Not for most US-based cruises, with one or two exceptions. I sailed Celebrity Nov 7, no pre-cruise testing required for our 10-day eastern Caribbean route. Grant Turk (not one of our ports) still required testing at the time I believe. Just one example of possible exceptions.

Here's a good start on a more complete answer, which of course can change in the next year:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

• Like 1

The last 2 days of my recent cruise you could hear/see many people coughing.  Of those I witnesses maybe 10% covered their mouths - none wore a mask.  I'm 5x vaxed and wore a mask in many/most areas of the ship.  I'm at 13 days post cruise and no cold, no flu and no COVID (that I'm aware of).  Pre cruise my primary care physician urged me not to go, because patients of hers returning recently from a cruise were testing positive for COVID.

Edited by Longford
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Not for most US-based cruises, with one or two exceptions. I sailed Celebrity Nov 7, no pre-cruise testing required for our 10-day eastern Caribbean route. Grant Turk (not one of our ports) still required testing at the time I believe. Just one example of possible exceptions.

Here's a good start on a more complete answer, which of course can change in the next year:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Thanks.  We are going to Labadee, Aruba and Curacao so looks like we're good.

I’m sorry you got Covid and hope you have a mild case and feel better quick.

Pre cruise testing was very helpful in the beginning, but I actually never saw it as a perfect Covid free cruise solution. Unfortunately people are going to continue to get it just like all other viruses. 

An example why testing doesn’t work. This summer my husband flew to NY for a quick 4 day visit with the kids. He wore a mask in the airport and on the plane except for when he had a snack. While there he was not out and about around people. However, the morning after he got back his throat was a tiny bit scratchy. He had very mild symptoms, but continued to tested negative, but on the 6th day of his very mild symptoms he finally tested positive.

He would have tested negative if testing were still required for cruising and he would have boarded  a ship.  He thought his symptoms were only allergies since it took 6 days to test positive. 

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

• Like 1

It would also pay to remember things like Norovirus, which was a "cruise ship thing" long before covid, and Norovirus is also very contagious.

About 6-8 years ago (years before covid) a cruise-friend of ours came down with something cold- or flu-like about halfway through the cruise. She was sick as a dog for several days. None of us caught it from her, which I thought was a minor miracle.

My wife came down with a cold at the end of our Anthem cruise a couple weeks ago.  A few days later I caught it.

I didn't bother starting a thread about it, and will we will not make any changes to our personal masking policy, which is to not mask.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I don't feel too bad. I guess it's a mild case. I'm hoping by tomorrow or the next day I will test negative. DH has tested negative and feels fine, so that's a good thing. We have been vaxed and boosted 5x's so I think that might be part of the reason I didn't get very sick.

We did not wear masks on or off the ship. I did see a handful of folks that did wear them though.

3catsinMA...I have picked up a cold many times on cruises which was not a big deal. Thought Covid was different!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mary&Jim said:

Sorry to hear you have covid.   Hopefully your symptoms remain mild.   

It is impossible to know if you picked up covid on the ship, at a port or on embarkment day.    But I suspect with all the travelers this Thanksgiving we will see a lot more positive cases and hopefully they will all be mild.   

I had covid in October and still dealing with a lingering cough.

Sorry you won't be able to be with family for Thanksgiving since you need to quarantine for a minimum of 5 days to prevent the spread.    Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mary&Jim said:

I don't feel too bad. I guess it's a mild case. I'm hoping by tomorrow or the next day I will test negative. DH has tested negative and feels fine, so that's a good thing. We have been vaxed and boosted 5x's so I think that might be part of the reason I didn't get very sick.

We did not wear masks on or off the ship. I did see a handful of folks that did wear them though.

3catsinMA...I have picked up a cold many times on cruises which was not a big deal. Thought Covid was different!

My husband and I as well as 1 of our 5 kids never tested positive.  We just got the vaccine and 1 booster.  Have been traveling since the start and just was lucky.  Unfortunately on the Allure in October, I came down with the flu post cruise.  Had the flu vaccine 4 weeks prior and glad I did as it was pretty bad but not requiring hospitalization.  I was on an elevator with someone coming back from the port who just coughed and coughed without covering their mouth.  My hands were full of towels and my backpack plus a bag and it was so crowded, I couldn't move.  We were stopping at every floor so it was aggravating.  We don't wear the masks unless it's required.  When I checked my temperature the day we got back, I immediately took a covid test which was negative.  At urgent care, 2 days later with a terrible sore throat, I swore I finally got covid.  Nope.  The flu.  Tested negative for covid and positive for the flu.  Can't compare the 2 as I still haven't tested positive.  

57 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

My husband and I as well as 1 of our 5 kids never tested positive.  We just got the vaccine and 1 booster.  Have been traveling since the start and just was lucky.  Unfortunately on the Allure in October, I came down with the flu post cruise.  Had the flu vaccine 4 weeks prior and glad I did as it was pretty bad but not requiring hospitalization.  I was on an elevator with someone coming back from the port who just coughed and coughed without covering their mouth.  My hands were full of towels and my backpack plus a bag and it was so crowded, I couldn't move.  We were stopping at every floor so it was aggravating.  We don't wear the masks unless it's required.  When I checked my temperature the day we got back, I immediately took a covid test which was negative.  At urgent care, 2 days later with a terrible sore throat, I swore I finally got covid.  Nope.  The flu.  Tested negative for covid and positive for the flu.  Can't compare the 2 as I still haven't tested positive.  

I'm sorry you contacted the flu. It's so annoying when some people are inconsiderate of others around them.

This was our fifth cruise since the re-start and  first time coming down with something. 

We only wear masks when required also. 

Next cruise is a b2b in January. Can't wait!

• Like 3

We just got off a b2b Jewel on Sat and not a single person on our FB or CC roll call reported having/catching Covid.  Very different than our previous cruises in the last year where there were always several  We also took the auto train to FL on Oct 31 and spent 5 days in FL, visiting family, friends and doing a boat tour and being around a lot of people and returned on the auto train Sat/Sun. Train station was packed both directions and we sat in the station with several hundred others for 3+ hours each way.   We're perfectly fine.  We heard almost no coughing during our entire 3 weeks away from home which is so different than the last year (7 cruises total since restart).  As far as we know DH and I have never had Covid.  I've had a sinus infection (April cruise and I tested neg) but that's it.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

Hope your symtoms remain mild and you have a quick recovery!

There is probably no way to pinpoint when you got it, only when you start exhibiting symptoms - last day of cruise in your case.

Data this year suggests the average person doesnt show symptoms until 5-6 days after exposure, with most cases ranging from 2-14 days after exposure. These dates also fluxuate by variant.

• Like 1