Inside Cabin VS Balconey Cabin

Susan Cark

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

That's easy.  Two in a Balcony.  No contest.

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.  I'll cruise substantially more often in an inside cabin than less times in a balcony.   The few times I have sailed in a balcony was just OK and not worth the extra money to me, which can vary greatly depending upon which cruise line, ship and sailing date. 

I'll take the money saved and spend it on peripheral items such as Cheers on Carnival or Vibe passes on NCL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

This. I don’t judge people who get balconies, but I would ask the opposite question. Why spend enough time in your cabin to justify the higher cost of a balcony?

Again, if people do spend that time, cool. I just never would.

I will infer that many people just like to chill on their balcony, read a good book, watch the waves go by and be dressed however they like while doing all of this.  Others prefer to be out and about and doing things.  There are no right or wrong answers, it's all personal preference as to how we like to vacation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I will infer that many people just like to chill on their balcony, read a good book, watch the waves go by and be dressed however they like while doing all of this.  Others prefer to be out and about and doing things.  There are no right or wrong answers, it's all personal preference as to how we like to vacation.

Agree. it’s people who wonder why anyone would get an interior room. Its kinda simple if you spend less than an hour in your room per day other than sleeping.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.  I'll cruise substantially more often in an inside cabin than less times in a balcony.   The few times I have sailed in a balcony was just OK and not worth the extra money to me, which can vary greatly depending upon which cruise line, ship and sailing date. 

I'll take the money saved and spend it on peripheral items such as Cheers on Carnival or Vibe passes on NCL.

I do agree with you on the use of your oft-repeated chocolate and vanilla maxim here, in that we all have different priorities, preferences, and practices in our cruising style.  I'm not interested in taking more cruises than I already do.  When I book a cruise, or any vacation for that matter, I am looking for quality over quantity.  And the quality of my stateroom is a considerable element in the  quality of my cruise.  I would most likely never sail in an Interior cabin even for free, even with a pile of OBC.  As much as I love to travel, I don't have the desire to "get away" from my regular life (and I'm no longer cruise-obsessed, as I admittedly was for a few years) that I did when I was younger and in different circumstances than I am now.   A vacation has to be appealing enough to make it worth leaving my much-loved home and rewarding daily life.  And, for me, a cruise in an Interior cabin would most likely never meet that requirement.   But I recognize and appreciate we all cruise differently and I have no negative feelings or judgments about those who enjoy Interiors.

Edited by ShakyBeef
punctuation
  • Like 3

We've done both. We sleep better inside, found we spent very little time on balcony preferring to be out and about, get same views from open public decks AND its less expensive letting us cruise .more often. Inside is a win for us

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Susan Cark said:

Hi all, I am very new to this forum but have been asking my friends this question, but haven’t been able to get a solid answer. Why would you book an inside cabin when the balconey cabins have amazing views, light, and fresh air? Do you book an inside cabin because of better sleep (dark metal bunker-type room) or is it for seasickness since you can’t see the ocean? Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the inside cabin, since you are missing out on waking up to amazing views at sea with an inside cabin. Thanks!

~S. Cark

For us it is simple--we generally only use our room for sleep & shower.

Booking an interior allows us to cruise more frequently--WORTH IT.

We just got off the Equinox on Monday. Had booked an interior but bid on a balcony & got it for $350 more total. We like it, but truly were only out there about 10 min. the whole cruise! 

We will book whatever cabin is the best value, but generally have no issue sailing interior. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

This. I don’t judge people who get balconies, but I would ask the opposite question. Why spend enough time in your cabin to justify the higher cost of a balcony?

Again, if people do spend that time, cool. I just never would.

We have also done both, balcony and insides.    We opt for balconies if the pricing is good.  Not because we spend a lot of time in the cabin.  I guess it is for the additional light, maybe a feeling of openness, and perhaps a sense of having additional egress, not to mention Mrs Ldubs likes them.   We have been on three cruises this year.  Each was a balcony.   I can honestly say I did not set foot on the balcony during any of those cruises.  Mrs Ldubs used them but not that much.  

A balcony is a higher priority to us for places like the Panama Canal or Norwegian Fjords.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ldubs said:

A balcony is a higher priority to us for places like the Panama Canal or Norwegian Fjords.

See there is a perfect answer.  Folks are on ships for totally different reasons. That's why the various cruise lines have different vibes and market to different segments of the cruising population.  We can have a discussion about cabins. And we can have a discussion about various lines both inside and outside the CCL Corp world. HAL ain't Carnival but they both still have a valuable place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Or you could be older and like to relax by yourself more often than those always-on-the-move youngsters. Bracing myself for the "OK Boomer" comments. 🙂 Seriously, it is just a matter of personal choice. I love cruising.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Or you could be older and like to relax by yourself more often than those always-on-the-move youngsters. Bracing myself for the "OK Boomer" comments. 🙂 Seriously, it is just a matter of personal choice. I love cruising.

Agree, and I'm no Boomer.  My parents are Boomers; I'm Gen X.🙂  Although I enjoy plenty of out-and-about, entertaining time in the public areas of the ship, I also enjoy a private haven to escape the sometimes overly-obnoxious and loud crowds of my my fellow PAX.  We all have our own cruise styles and sometimes those styles evolve over our lives, and it's great that there are options to fit all our styles.

• Like 2

Some people with small children book an inside cabin because it is safer.

Also, for kids (even teens/preteens) staying in a separate room from their parents, it is safer and you avoid them potentially throwing something overboard.  

• Like 3

In fact, on the class that Pride, Legend, etc. belong to there is even a balcony adjoining to an inside room on a couple of the floors towards the front of the ship which IMO is the best of both worlds for people traveling with young kids.

I once booked two adjoining OV for my boys and myself, but the smell that resulted from their stinkiness/body odor/foot odor was so noxious that I now try to always book at least one balcony for fresh air.  

• Haha 4

They're nice to have, but a waste of money to me. The only reason I'm doing one on my upcoming cruise is because I got another upgrade offer. I think it was like $270 so I said what the hell. At booking it was $650 more. For the amount of time I actually spend out there, it comes out to hundreds of dollars an hour to have a view that is available all over the ship for free. I've had a balcony enough times to say it isn't always this tranquil place of quiet. Sometimes you have loud conversations nearby, doors slamming, music playing, weed smoke, etc. I can only sit in those chairs for so long. I really only use it to peak outside in the morning, maybe enjoy a beer, then maybe a little later when the other half is getting ready.

You'll find me in the serenity area 10x more than the balcony. Plenty of padded chairs, including the clamshells, views everywhere. It is no more noisier over there. 

• Like 1

No question balcony cabins are far nicer - more spacious, usually better furnished, and lots of natural lighting.  Interior cabins can feel like a dungeon.  That said, it’s going to depend on the price differential - it’s not uncommon to see balcony cabins sold for 3-4x the price over interior, for example. 

On 11/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, Susan Cark said:

Hi all, I am very new to this forum but have been asking my friends this question, but haven’t been able to get a solid answer. Why would you book an inside cabin when the balconey cabins have amazing views, light, and fresh air? Do you book an inside cabin because of better sleep (dark metal bunker-type room) or is it for seasickness since you can’t see the ocean? Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the inside cabin, since you are missing out on waking up to amazing views at sea with an inside cabin. Thanks!

~S. Cark

Hello and welcome.

I have to disclose upfront that I have NOT slept in or booked an inside cabin for myself, I have however for my children.

My reasons for liking a balcony is somewhat anti-social, I want to be alone at times. I'm a nice guy, fun to be around, but at times I want to shut that off and chill.

I want to have my coffee early in the morning, quietly sitting on my balcony looking at the ocean or some far away port. It's just a nice place to start your day.

I am also a napper. I lay down and take a nap for an hour or so, and again, waking up, slowly and quietly with a coffee or water, just chill.

I live in Florida, have all my life, so I have no desire to lie in the sun and fry or swim in the pool.

In the evenings, before bed, sitting outside and hearing the waves lapping at the ship while as you look far off you see nothing but a deep blackness you'll see nowhere else. 

Watching and cheering on pier runners is fun. 

I feel, or believe, you feel a more sense of freedom in a cabin that gets sunlight and you can step out in it.

If you like sleeping and BLACK DARK cabins, insides are your thing. One of my kids was going through that period, sleeping all the time along with being on phone for games or whatever, inside cabin was HEAVEN for her.

Otherwise, inside is fairly similar, just DARK....day or night, door closed, light off....you're in outer space blackness

It's like Vantablack in there

image.thumb.png.770c339feebdf70c343adc00b0bfcacd.png

• Like 1

I could never stay in a hotel room without at least a window, so I always stay in a balcony. I tried an Oceanview once and  that was the last time I did that. 🤮

But thank goodness for the folks who want to sail in an inside, they pay for real estate that I'd have to pay for otherwise. ❤️

Although I agree that almost $600 is not a small amount (and for some of us we are paying even more with the US exchange rate) some of the deals have even been considerably different. 
like $600 vs $1800 for two people. 
We booked an inside for our last cruise because we got an amazing deal on the inside. We ended up getting an offer to upgrade and took it. The last time we sailed we had a balcony said we weren’t sure it was worth it. But we had our child with us for the first time and it was a cove I wasn’t a fan of. Thought maybe that’s just changed our habits. But this time, again we discussed if it was really worth it for us to get the balcony. I love the view but I don’t spend much time in my room.  We have a drink or two out there over the cruise. Look out in the morning. I just don’t enjoy it like I used to. It’s too hot to sit on in port. It was really windy at times we sailed. 
so for us, we will book inside and only take a balcony of the price is right. 

Im spitballin here but i think inside are often 130 sq ft and balcony 185+. I noticed the difference on our last cruise, my first inside cabin.  

I loooooooooove being on balcony as ship approaches ports.  My wife is a late riser and could care less. It is nice having a close by area to get fresh air.  

I refuse to head to common areas (coffee shop!) unshowered in the morning.  I dont think im alone but also dont think im in the majority.  

Im none too please when my balcony next door blazes the 420 a ton. Stink, stank, stunk!  I wonder why edibles arent more popular at sea! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Probably because most edibles can take up to 45 minutes to take effect.

Get the powder for beverages and then just drink it all ASAP. If you can deal with the sour, can just pour under tongue and they'll hit you faster if you need. Kinda like you'd do with the ol BC Powders to attack a headache quickly

If you're smart and careful, you can vape and no one will know, ever. You do not have to make choo-choo train puffs to use a simple vape pen. 

Wait? what are we talking about? Cupcakes, right?

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Haha 4

On 11/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, JT1962 said:

Most don’t consider $ 600 negligible, especially if the price is per person. If they do, they probably are looking at cruise lines other than Carnival.

And when you consider one probably has to earn about $850 gross dollars in order to clear $600 net after taxes, ss, etc...yeah definitely not negligible.

That said, I much prefer a balcony.  But then I try to avoid crowds and loud music on a cruise.  I find the opportunity to sit on the balcony, looking over the water, with perhaps my favorite beverage, a few snacks and some music, lost in my thoughts...now that is something that is just not available to me at home.  I try to do that for a couple hours most everyday when we are on a cruise.  Add to that a couple visits a day to the Cloud 9 Spa thermal suites and T-Pool..now that is a vacation and worth the extra money to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

And when you consider one probably has to earn about $850 gross dollars in order to clear $600 net after taxes, ss, etc...yeah definitely not negligible.

That said, I much prefer a balcony.  But then I try to avoid crowds and loud music on a cruise.  I find the opportunity to sit on the balcony, looking over the water, with perhaps my favorite beverage, a few snacks and some music, lost in my thoughts...now that is something that is just not available to me at home.  I try to do that for a couple hours most everyday when we are on a cruise.  Add to that a couple visits a day to the Cloud 9 Spa thermal suites and T-Pool..now that is a vacation and worth the extra money to me.

We are on the same wavelength

I'm somewhat antisocial because all my life in my work I have had to be sociable. I don't like crowds, especially drunk crowds (I don't drink). 

• Like 1

Like some have said here, I love sitting on the balcony, listening to the waves... early in the morning, mid afternoon, in the evening. If the pandemic and lockdowns taught me anything, I'm not a people person, unless they're my people. And speaking of pandemic, with what happened to the guests on Diamond Princess, if something goes sideways while I'm on vacation, I don't want to be confined to an inside cabin. 

• Like 4