New Royal MDR Menu

twonpcb

I have seen on Facebook (so it must be true) that Royal is “experimenting” with a new MDR menu on one ship.  They claim the “Classic” choices are gone and have not returned.  Additionally, the nightly menu has been much more simplified and “Carnival”ified. 

Now, from what I have experienced in the past these things can be grossly exaggerated.  Can anyone shine a lite on this? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twonpcb said:

I have seen on Facebook (so it must be true) that Royal is “experimenting” with a new MDR menu on one ship.  They claim the “Classic” choices are gone and have not returned.  Additionally, the nightly menu has been much more simplified and “Carnival”ified. 

Now, from what I have experienced in the past these things can be grossly exaggerated.  Can anyone shine a lite on this? 

I am curious as well. Just off the Navigator last week, and everything was the same as it's always been.

I'm hoping the simplified menus mean less time in the MDR.  Our average meal was 2 to 2 1/2 hours each night.  I saw a survey was sent out about this.  I don't mind 1 1/2 hours on average, but anything more than 2 hours is too long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slyster said:

I'm hoping the simplified menus mean less time in the MDR.  Our average meal was 2 to 2 1/2 hours each night.  I saw a survey was sent out about this.  I don't mind 1 1/2 hours on average, but anything more than 2 hours is too long.

Don't know why you dining times should take so long.  My experience is in the 1.15 hrs. tops   Maybe you have a large group and waiters wait for everyone before taking dining orders.  Do you have an inkling, as the new skimpy menu will not resolve your issue, unless it drives many Paxs to the WJ.

I think it's more of an economic issue, otherwise why would they charge for a 2nd lobster tail + 18% grats.

Edited by nelblu

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Don't know why you dining times should take so long.  My experience is in the 1.15 hrs. tops   Maybe you have a large group and waiters wait for everyone before taking dining orders.  Do you have an inkling, as the new skimpy menu will not resolve your issue, unless it drives many Paxs to the WJ.

I think it's more of an economic issue, otherwise why would they charge for a 2nd lobster tail + 18% grats.

We had 4 people at our table.  I believe our wait staff was more new and they were also taking care of another 4 top and another table with 10 people.  They really needed help.  I agree, it should never take that long.

a simplified menu should streamline the process a bit too.  Speed things up (I would think).

Edited by slyster

9 minutes ago, slyster said:

We had 4 people at our table.  I believe our wait staff was more new and they were also taking care of another 4 top and another table with 10 people.  They really needed help.  I agree, it should never take that long.

a simplified menu should streamline the process a bit too.  Speed things up (I would think).

I very much doubt it, they still have to carry record and serve the same number of dishes independent of the number of entrees on the menu.  If it's a staff issue, then that is a totally different problem.

As a matter of act, when my wife and I sat by ourselves, many times we were out in 45-50 minutes.   We got to the MDR on time and our waiters took our orders right away.

Not only that, but noticed on Allure (February), Anthem (Easter) and Oasis (October) many MDR tables in MDR (early seating) were empty.  Maybe reserved for MTD or lack of staff, but who knows.

Edited by nelblu

8 hours ago, BND said:

Someone posted that the new menus are rolling out to the fleet on 1 Jan.  We'll see if that's true, but they need to fix quality of ingredients first.  Menus aren't the issue.

Why would they improve the quality.  That would cost them money.

• Like 1

Will the classic entrees be eliminated from the buffet.  Can always eat in the MDR and then go to the buffet. Two dinners.

Can't see how this saves Royal money unless the plan is to eventually eliminate the MDR.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official that MDR will have major changes  across all RCL ships starting January 2023. This mainly to speed service. But I have to wonder about the menus and food quality. We sail on Harmony 1/28/23.  See official RCL post @ 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/12/12/royal-caribbean-will-introduce-new-main-dining-room-menu-january

Just off the OASIS and was in the Diamond Lounge for early morning coffee and in pop the executive chef checking on the continental layout. Since we were the only couple in the Lounge that early, he pop by to say hi and we kind of corner him into a 30 minute discussion on MDR menu. Here is his take on why it has to change. 

Crew shortage in both kitchen and serving staff, many just did not return back to the ship

Gratuities that are now shared among the crew may help

The kitchen and serving staff are all very new, large menu mean inconsistency in cooking

More cruisers are using MTD, hard to keep a large menu hot and consistent

Reduce waste since majority of item are pre made and not cook to order, too many items

Return to the old days with theme menu, since we were in the Diamond Lounge, he said dont you remember when there were no classic items

Cost, cannot keep serving two or three entre during lobster night, each ship is a business unit and food is a large cost driver

Many things have change during his 28 years with Royal, no more midnight buffet, ice sculptures, chocolate buffet, lunch menu and buffet in MDR, Windjammer theme stations. Bottom line, it has to do with cost

Interesting conversation from an insider. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, strathcona said:

Just off the OASIS and was in the Diamond Lounge for early morning coffee and in pop the executive chef checking on the continental layout. Since we were the only couple in the Lounge that early, he pop by to say hi and we kind of corner him into a 30 minute discussion on MDR menu. Here is his take on why it has to change. 

Crew shortage in both kitchen and serving staff, many just did not return back to the ship

The kitchen and serving staff are all very new, large menu mean inconsistency in cooking

Reduce waste since majority of item are pre made and not cook to order, too many items

Return to the old days with theme menu, since we were in the Diamond Lounge, he said dont you remember when there were no classic items

Cost, cannot keep serving two or three entre during lobster night, each ship is a business unit and food is a large cost driver

Many things have change during his 28 years with Royal, no more midnight buffet, ice sculptures, chocolate buffet, lunch menu and buffet in MDR, Windjammer theme stations. Bottom line, it has to do with cost

I saw a post on FB last week of an ad for galley staff.  Royal was looking to hire several hundred galley staff, chefs, etc.  So, yes, they are short staffed.  We talked to the chef on Jewel in Nov about the quality of the strip steak.  He wasn't happy with it either but they have to work with what they get.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, strathcona said:

One item that I have to dispute is the theme menus.  Yes, we had those menus but had many more entree selections than presently proposed.  Also, remember a separate menu for desserts with more choices.

26 minutes ago, nelblu said:

One item that I have to dispute is the theme menus.  Yes, we had those menus but had many more entree selections than presently proposed.  Also, remember a separate menu for desserts with more choices.

that was his point, it will be a very trim down menu but back to a theme. the gallery staff just cannot prepare the long list as before. each ship has too many new staff and very few returning. Yes, he brought up, remember the bake alaska or cherry jubilee that came out at the same time with the sparkers. 

"We have more what we call new roles in our business than we've ever had. And these are new employees who have the depth and length of experience. So we've got a lot of new employees who simply are still learning."

Michael Bayley

RCCL CEO

I believe this statement from the top explain this all on such a very diplomatic way. Ships are understaffed; and I'd to add; the more specialized the position, the more understaffed ships are. Several adds popping up for cruise related jobs on the social media lately. Even calling for first world employees! Things won''t to be easy on the next years to come. Compromise solutions will need to be made.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

The separate dessert menu went away sometime in 2018. We still had it on our Serenade cruise in December 2017 and by the time our Navigator sailing rolled round a year later the new compact one-sheet menu had been introduced.

As usual with anything new, there was quite an uproar about it here on the boards.

We just got off Symphony yesterday.  The new MDR menus are a real disappointment.  No more always available classics.  The starter selection is very limited.  Shrimp cocktail is not available every night.  I asked the waiter if there was a shrimp cocktail available one night when it was not on the menu and he came back with a resounding NO.  Most nights there is only one soup selection in the starters.

The Mexican night theme menu has spaghetti as one of the entrees.  Really?  I have never seen spaghetti on a menu in a Mexican restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homedepot124 said:

We just got off Symphony yesterday.  The new MDR menus are a real disappointment.  No more always available classics.  The starter selection is very limited.  Shrimp cocktail is not available every night.  I asked the waiter if there was a shrimp cocktail available one night when it was not on the menu and he came back with a resounding NO.  Most nights there is only one soup selection in the starters.

The Mexican night theme menu has spaghetti as one of the entrees.  Really?  I have never seen spaghetti on a menu in a Mexican restaurant.

Thanks for sharing. That definitely sounds disappointing for sure. 

It’s got me thinking more and more about the 3 night dining package for Harmony in May.  We’ve never had a problem eating in the MDR.  There was always something we liked.  I want to give the new menus a chance but having different options a few nights might be good.